Author Topic: For the Ladies - Flare vs Menopause  (Read 1878 times)

lighthouse33

For the Ladies - Flare vs Menopause
« on: June 10, 2009, 07:33:26 AM »
I've been having episodes of overheating and sweating profusely from the armpits.  Then someitmes I'll get the cold sweats with the chills.  I'm 45 and on methylprogesterone shots for endomitriosis.  My eyes get so dry during these episodes.  I've also been nasaueted.  And I did start taking a supplement yesterday with B1 and B!2. 

My gyno assured me that I would go into menopause while being on the shots, that it would happen.  He also said that the blood tests for menopause were unreliable.  So how does one know?

I did take my temperature last night during one episode and it was 99.1 but after dinner and this morning it was 98.4. 
Female
Primary Sjogren's, polyneuropathy, endomitriosis, dietary fructose intolerance
Plaquenil, Lyrica, Tramadal, Omeprazole, Fortical, fish oil, flaxseed oil, benefiber, centrum chewable mulitviitamin, caltrate chewable 600 D+minerals, WSN Nerve Support Formula, Align, Biotene Products

Chickpea

Re: For the Ladies - Flare vs Menopause
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 11:05:04 AM »
Hi Lighthouse

I'm sorry you're having such a miserable time.  Like you I have endometriosis as well as SjS, but as they're both AIs it's difficult to ascribe symptoms to one or the other sometimes.  I haven't had hormone treatment for endo, but I'm 48 so I'm having a few perimenopausal symptoms.  My first hot flush was very different to the cold sweats I get from SjS autonomic neuropathy, but sometimes the general 'odd' sweats could be either.  With AIs our body temperatures aren't always a reliable indicator either so you're really left without too many clear indicators!

In a way it doesn't matter whether the hot flushes and cold sweats are caused by the artificially induced menopause or by a SjS flare because all you can do is cope with the symptoms - keep showering, changing your clothes and bed linen, eating light meals and drinking plenty of fluids.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Take care - Chickpea

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 01:44:36 PM »
Hi Lighthouse

The combination of the menopause and Sjogren's is miserable and it's really hard to tell what is causing what symptoms!  It will pass though. Been there, done that and got the T-shirt. My sympathies are with you right now!

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

lynnmarie219

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 04:45:55 PM »
Hi Lighthouse,

Yes our body temps get all messed up both with Sjogrens and with menopause...so who knows what is coming from what when you are dealing with both of them at the same time...it gets so darn confusing that I gave up trying to figure it all out!  ;)

Chickpea gave a lot of good suggestions to help keep yourself comfortable. I also like to use ice packs on my forehead or the back of my neck..it feels good to me.

Hope you feel better soon!