Author Topic: This waiting is killing me :-(  (Read 8498 times)

eyeamdry

This waiting is killing me :-(
« on: June 08, 2009, 07:46:06 PM »
This will be a whiney post, but I know I can share all my wahhhhhhhs with you guys.  I am falling apart piece by piece.  Let's count the ways. lol.  1.  My big toe is killing me but that's just "fun." 

I have a partial knee replacement and it's about 8 years old.  It has begun to hurt me lately and I let it go awhile and then I thought this isn't right and went to my ortho surgeon who did the implant.  He is in Grand Rapids, an hour away, but a really good doc.  I went to see him and they x-rayed me all around the knees and couldn't see anything wrong.  Then I was told to have a bone scan so they could look deeper.  They arranged one at a hospital near me.  I went and had it done and waited for more than two weeks and began to call the ortho doc.  Well, there is something wrong, but they don't know what.  It might be loose, have an infection etc.  Well, once you've had cancer, you always think of that first.  Mine has only been two years.  So--I have another appt with the ortho doc on June 22 and I will take the scan itself with me in person.  Now I have to find it at the local hospital. Hmph.  I can walk with just a bit of a limp so I'm not inconvenienced much.  It's the waiting.

Heart disease and sudden death run high in my family.  I have pvc's or something like that since I've been 12 and I'm 60+ now.  My older sister is 72 and has been battling colon cancer since Oct and having a really hard time with hospital infections etc. and not able to get her chemo finished.  Lately she has been having problems with her blood pressure dropping for no reason.  Back and forth-hospital.  One day they just put in a pacemaker.  She lives in Pa so we usually find out about things after they are done.  So far whe is doing ok.  That was two weeks ago.  Well less than a week after that, my brother was found dead in his house.  He was 71 and lived alone.  I found out that he had been having "heart episodes" just recently and went to ER twice and had the paddles both times.  No doubt, he needed more than they gave him. 

I'm thinking--I'm hightailing it to my cardiologist asap.  And I did.  I had echocardiogram and stress test along with some other "pictures."  Today the office called and told me that my echo was normal, but the stress test was not normal.  Ok, I could not get any info out of her and have an appt with cardio on Thursday.   So, my general feeling on this is that I am glad I went in and while they FOUND something, it's alot better than not knowing whatever it is.  It could be something minor, but also a blockage or whatever.  Jeez, I'd like to get drunk but it probably would kill me with all the meds I take, so I'll pass on that. 

Funny thing is my big toe hurts more than any of the other stuff, but I can deal with that.  I'll post when I know something about all this other stuff.   >:(  Lucy

Poochie

Re: This waiting is killing me :-(
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 10:15:36 PM »
Good luck Lucy, I just went down that road with the stress tests.  But that's another story.  I see my cardio on the 10th and find out what they are going do about my bad MVP.  The tachycardia has increased and is totally wrecking what little sleep I can get. 

Take care gal and let us know what you find out.  Until then my thoughts and prayers are with you.  So sorry to hear about your brother and sister. 

Hugs, Pooh

Katybarstool

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 01:56:09 PM »
Lucy

I will be thinking of you on Thursday, and sending lots of positive vibes. Thank God you went to the cardiologist, at least if they find something you can get treatment started a.s.ap.

My condolenses on the loss of your brother.

Kathyx

Dolly Dimples

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 02:17:23 PM »
  My goodness Lucy, talk about everything happening at once, you must be shattered with the stress of all this worry and sadness!

Hope you get some good news on Thursday , your due some!
  We had a year similar to that last year when everything went wrong somewhere in the family, deaths and ill health,also job losses

still having some worries about my Grandaughter who goes tomorrow for a scan on her stomach, due to awful indigestion, she is only 31 and is still coming out in hives which started last year , her husband lost his job at Christmas , and she is struggling with her part time job at school lunchtimes..
   so, know how your feeling!    my big toe is ok tho',  Hugs Dolly x
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 02:19:00 PM by Dolly Dimples »

seren

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 03:36:08 PM »
Oh my goodness lucy...you really have it going on right now, the waiting game really is so stressful. I am really sorry about your brother....if you can keep your 'head' whilst all this is going on then you'll weather anything. I really hope you get the right help and treatment, good luck on the 22nd, bless your heart!  ;D

Take care

Paula

Shari

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 04:22:25 PM »
Hello Lucy...So sorry that you have to experience the death of your brother.  It leaves a big hole in ones life.

Take care of the big toe...so it does not get bigger!

Also good that you are checking out your heart  thoroughly.  I had problems with blood pressure dropping but not so much if I make sure to keep very hydrated.

Take care Lucy

quiger

• Sjogrens Staff
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 04:38:13 PM »
Oh Lucy, how awful for you and your family.

Good luck. I hope it is something very minor and easily taken care of. I know the waiting can be miserable. Please let us know what you find out.

Will be thinking of you.

Hugs,
quig
Check out the info on the home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 04:41:53 PM »
Hi Lucy

Sounds like troubles are just coming at you from all directions. Doesn't sound to me like you're moaning - just sharing - and we're here to listen.

Waiting for test results is always really stressful - and that's without all the other stresses plus beravement too. I'm sorry about your brother. That must have been a terrible shock.

Hopefully you feel more in control once you have the test results and can get on with dealing with whatever. It sounds like your docs are good anyway.

I also hope your big toe eases off for you!

Take care - Scottie
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

lynnmarie219

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 06:04:14 PM »
(((((((((Lucy))))))))

I'm so sorry for the loss of your dear brother....and my positive thoughts and prayers are with you and your sister....you both need them right now so that you can weather all the medical stuff that has hit you both all at once and to get through these rough times.

Good luck at your appt. and let us know what you find out!

eyeamdry

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 06:16:28 PM »
Thank you everyone.  I guess being "older" has it's advantages in the waiting game.  Experience counts!
It was two years ago I was waiting on a cancer biopsy.  It was two and one-half years I was waiting on SJS tests and biopsy. 

I hope there is a message here, too.  This was a very odd happening with both my brother and sister having heart problems at the same time.  My brother passing sort of said "this is serious."  I also believe he could have been saved by a pacemaker or something, but that didn't happen.  He lived by himself and had no wife or g.f. to nag him about things and you know how men are.  I had a lightbulb moment and headed right for the phone.  Glad I did.

After I find out what's wrong, I am going to tell my younger sister, the baby of the family she should get checked out.  She is the one who has always exercised, weighs 110 and walks 3 miles everyday and nursed her husband from near death and paralysis back to spiffy condition.  She will probably brush me off, but I'll try.  I'll post when I find out what this is.  Maybe just something fairly simple.  I have had a heart cath before and that's invasive and no fun.  Lucy

Patze

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 06:22:16 PM »
Hi Lucy,

Please except my sympathies on the loss of your brother, and I'm sorry to hear about you and your sister.  Wow, and let me send you a ton of giant (and soft)

( ( ( ( (  H U G S  ) ) ) ) )

I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers, and I sure hope that the doctor finally figures out what's up with your knee.

Please take care -

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

kimbo

• Love never fails
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 08:13:14 PM »
Lucy,

So sorry for the loss of your brother. And your sisters complications also.

I am very glad it has put you on alert.

Prayers and hugs,  kimbo
Diagnosed March of 2007. SJS/ RA Positive at 80  International-SSA strongly positive at 811-SSB 273
ANA positive at 1:1280
Hashimoto's
Gabapentin, propanol, Celebrex, Synthroid, Cytomel, vitamin D, B complex, Omega 3 complex, and multi vitamins; At 62, I seem to be a low maintenance sjog

gsmraxe

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2009, 07:57:02 AM »
Hope your toe and everything else feels better soon... :)

eyeamdry

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2009, 04:18:22 PM »
To Kimbo:  today the toe and everything hurts still.  It's chilly and rainy so we can chalk that up to the weather.  Sure.

Ok, folks, I went to the cardiologist today.  The thing is that I have one blocked artery and will be having a heart cath next week.  If needed, a stent can be put in at that time to keep things open.  There is a (slim) chance that they could find more and a bypass would then be scheduled.  I am not at all thinking in that direction.  Being realistic, not in denial.  

I have had a heart cath before, about 10 years ago.  It was bad because I had to report the earliest in the morning with nothing to eat or drink.  Then I kept getting pushed back until it was 6 pm before they started the cath and I had laid in bed all day with nothing to eat or drink.  Caffeine headache and a darn drip in my vein.  This time I can have a light breakfast and don't need to go in until 12:30 pm.  I should be able to go home afterward, unless they put in a stent.  

My cardio is a great doc.  He is very tall and skinny, with grey thinning hair and a scraggy beard, crooked teeth and really homely.  He has the best side manner of any doc I've ever seen.    I will take the homely doc with his good humor and a minute to talk anytime over the others.  He is with a very large practice, too.  Hubby has him also.  Lucy
edit:typo and comments not relating to subject.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 06:53:39 PM by eyeamdry »

Epson

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2009, 04:25:58 PM »
Lucy,

Sounds like you found Doctor House, well his homely good natured brother.  Good luck with the stent, I get one next week, but it will be going in the other end ;D