Author Topic: Yeast-Free Diet Anyone?  (Read 12873 times)

KJ

Re: Yeast-Free Diet Anyone?
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2009, 11:26:29 PM »
I agree with all the healthy eaters, and know that I need to make a change in my diet.  It is the energy it takes to cook healthy meals that keeps me dragging my feet, and I am the only person in my house who cooks.  Just pouring a bowl of cereal for my kids wears me out!  When we get to California I think I will really give it an honest try.

I used to live on chocolate, but now it makes my tongue burn, so that will not be as difficult as it could be.  My sister-in-law will be taking us out to eat mac-n-cheese pizza at their favorite restaurant when we get there, I wonder how nutritious that is?  Gross huh?

All this talk about cheese is making me think about that gorgonzola cheese spread in my fridge, that goes so well with dried cherries and pecans....mmm.

Kellie

wednesday mc haggis

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2009, 02:49:58 AM »
KJ

I feel the same way, when i started the diet, i was shattered trying to cook,, was a drag, coz i felt so fatigued i just felt it was like an uphill struggle, and like you im only person who cooks, my partner would cook, but he could burn water.

Its not so much for me that pizza and mac cheese wasnt healthy, if i eat all that gluten, wheat and cheese in one meal, im fatigued, sleep for 3 hours there and then, and bloated, to point even my ankles swell, once i went on the candida diet, the all over swelling i was told was fibromyalgia disappeared, my stomach within weeks went down inches i had been that swollen.

Glad you said chocolate makes your toungue burn, i noticed since cutting it al out, i did an experiment on myself, i went out with my family to a big pizza chain, my throat went sore and dry, my mouth burned, saliva went again, and came home and passed out for 3 hours again.

I hear you that your just feeling too weak to cook any different, but once  i cut it all out  , my energy came back and my enthusiasm for cooking did too, its a horrible time pushing past that fatigue to get to that stage, but for me if was really worth it :)

T x

wednesday mc haggis

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2009, 03:11:35 AM »
Jonnell

I fully understand that skepticism, my doctors laughed at my theories, my bowens therapist who encouraged me didnt  as her daughter with chrones had achieved so much by doing it, my rheumy smiled as much as to say  bless if it keeps you happy, and my occupational health consultant actually did laugh !!

he aint laughing now im back at work, infact he perked up and wanted more information from me , i reconn of i had waitied on a doctor saying change your diet it will help, id still be sat here fatigued and in incredible pain, and my job would be lost.

The diet sounds really hard, and yes it takes alot to get your head round the can have and cant have list, but so worth it for me anyways. The book how to beat candida   by erica white was the best read i invested in, and reading juicing recipies helped me get about  7 portions of vegetables into me per day, days i felt too drained to cook them all.
Even my kids will drink vegetable juice now, always had to purree soups for them if they seen a big chunk of veg it put them off, dont know why but it did.

I fully understand your mum was OTT , and it makes you feel youd be depriving jenna, i really do, i hate to make the same mistakes as my mum did, and really do hear you when you say you dont want to do that to her.

Everyone at work keeps saying the die tmust be so hard, must drive me mad, and my answer is the pain and fatigue, post nasal drip, brain fog, etc was alot worse to live with as the diet is, sur ei miss crisps, sweets, chesse ( really miss cheese) ...but i dont miss being unable to function without wanting to curl up and sleep forever , pain everywhere, pain i cant even describe, and i dont miss the thought of taking drugs either.

Your right to be skeptical, being honest i was, for a few months i just didnt want to know about the diet, then i thought is giv emysel;f a 6 week trial, if i felt no better id pack it in, by end of 6 weeks i was walking miles again and doing things i hadnt been able to, 3 months into it i went back to work.

My oldest euan was a big lover of dairy and daniel loved his gluten, we crave most what makes us unwell, ive gotten round that by buying gluten free buiscuits, vegan cheese and soya yogurts for them, researched where i could get it, as im in a small town some of it i have to get online, euan had terrible colic was was intrested to read that St`s kids that were dairy intolerant/allergic had the colic issue, i only wish my HV had put me onto it then, 7 months of screaming in pain colic and other symptoms since could have been avoided:(

There are so many websites with details of the candida diet, but most have adverts on it, so i cant post them, google it read through it for a few days, see what you think, depression is also linked with wheat/gluten intolerances sometimes, i read one article saying women who are are more rpone to post natal depression, strangely i had that twice over and quite severley .

Your not a bad mothe rin any way shape of form, you care deeply about your daughter and her health thats more than obvious, skeptical is good, i was, and this whole expereince has changed my mind , and now helping my kids, my mother suffers depression and now recently bowel issues, and is asking me about gluten, she wants to cut it out, no one was more skeptical about it all than her when i went onto diet, she said it was all part of denial with me, and i was being silly thinking it would help, 4 months later, she is  taking my books to read, and asking what she has to cut out!!

Hope any of this helps, wish you the level best with it all

*hug*

T x

« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 03:28:53 AM by wednesday mc haggis »

KJ

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2009, 01:11:09 PM »
I know you are right T x, I know.  The pizza is actually Mac n cheese pizza, yes, really, and it is very popular.  Can you believe that?  I need to try it once though.  My sister in law sent me a picture of it, and I just uploaded it to my flickr page.

You can see it here if you like  http://www.flickr.com/photos/adikari/.

We will not be settled in Ca. for another 6 weeks or so, but I am really looking forward to eating healthy.  My kids really like when I cook, and would choose my cooking over fast food anytime, so I am really lucky for that. 

Did you ever drink coffee?  That is making my tongue do the same thing as chocolate.  I just bought some green tea and am making the switch to that now.

Have a great day!

Kellie

wednesday mc haggis

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2009, 12:27:14 AM »
lololololol@mac n cheese pizza,  before i knew about all this i would have liekd that, i cant say anything a new popular pizza topping here is haggis!! lololol

yeah im lucky too my kids prefer home cooking to take aways etc, and luckily my oldest thinks the soya milk i buy him is creamy and he likes it, he likes the soya yogurts, and the cheese he says isnt quite as nice as real chesse, but he likes it, i found a website that does gluten/dairy and sugar free buiscuits online for kids in shape of bunnies and gnomes, daniel said he likes them , bit more expensive, but his swollen tummy is so much better, and bowels moving really well , i told him it was special buiscuits for a special boy aand he seems really happy about that  PHEW!!

I was a BIG coffee drinker, a good 5 cups a day, used it to give me energy for working night duties on an elderly ward,sure it does do that, but when that boost goes, you hit a slump and need more coffee... dont know if that was afecting my mouth, cut that out 4 months ago, and ordinary tea, as it irritates the gut whilst your trying to heal it, i drink herbal, green or white tea, apparently according to new reports white tea has even more anti oxidants in it, and very low caffiene levels, but many here get relief from their dry mouth drinking alot of green tea .

I drink 2 litres of spring water a day, and a few cups of green tea or white tea, and one cup of a morning detox tea, i dont drink anything else, at first the cravings for sugar, caffiene and all the other things i can thave were really bad, any research i did, said that taking a supplement chromium picolate for the first 6 weeks, helps to balance the blood sugar and help with cravings, one i took that in the morning it really did help.

Good luck with the move, moving house myself next week, so im packing and clearing too, which will make my diet harder whilst doing so, but ive got quite a few meals made up in the freezer to help with that, and i omelettes    should get me through the busy stage.

Good luck with it all, hoping it all goes as smoothly as possible for you

T   x

jonnell

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2009, 03:44:43 AM »
Wednesday, do you give your little ones the fish oil, if so how much?  Jenna is 70 lbs,

Katybarstool

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2009, 04:45:48 AM »
Scottie

Your son number one sounds very much like my son number two! Even now, at 28, he has some intolerances, although he doesn't have the behavoural problems that he did, thank goodness.

Kathyx

wednesday mc haggis

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2009, 06:45:50 AM »
Jonnell

I do , i buy child omega  oils in a child dose, get it from local chemist here, dont know the dosage you can give up to in children ;-s, i just buy the one designed for kids, so im thinking that must be fine, i also give them a multi vitamin complex i buy from the large chain store chemist in the UK, its designed for age 3 upwards, id speak to my local pharmasist about doses she can and cant have, if your unsure, they know alot more about paediatric doses than i do,i just ones i buy are strawberry flavoured, so they seem to really like it, but have no E numbers, so id say ask pharmacist and see if you chemists there do a childrens capsule

hope that helps

T x

KJ

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2009, 09:17:05 AM »
Ewwwwwww.  Haggis on pizza??? :-X  Do people actually eat that for pleasure, or just on a dare? lol.  I would like to see a picture of that.

Leisa

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2009, 11:37:20 AM »
I would think for us who suffer so much...anything is worth a try! If someone told me i was going to live the rest of my life like this and possibly worse i would have stopped eating whatever the culprit could be and if i had a 4 year old with Sjs i would do everything in my power to change whatever it takes to try and make her well. It is not a diet, it is a way to a healthier life. Please, you don't want her to end up like a lot of us, it's not fun at all! She has so much to look forward to in life! Why not try to make her healthier...All 3 of my boys were dairy and egg intolerant. So i had to change their diets and it was never a problem. I think it's all how you lead them to be healthier. Make it fun and discover together what you can create that is tasty but much healthier! :)

kimbo

• Love never fails
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2009, 03:27:55 PM »
Okay Ladies, So My Diet yesterday.....

Goldengrahams Smores with milk for breakfast.

Lunch - Chicken tetraziny, followed by my sonic hot fudge sundae

Dinner - sonic $1 menu hamburger, and did any one else get their free root beer float at the sonic yesterday ? Oh that was good.  :)

Oh yeah ... my afternoon snack ..... more golden graham Smores and milk.  :)   

Today.... Breakfast, you guessed it ..... on the way to work, I gobbled down my golden graham smores with my to go milk.

For Lunch.... sonic onion rings, followed by my hot fudge sundae. 

Dinner... I am thinking

I don't mean to plug sonic or anything like that. I don't own stock or anything like that.

;D  It just seems to jump into my path a lot. Recently the sweet little car hop girl said " you do this everyday, don't you?" I laughed and said, in my defense,  "only on my work days , and thats 2 days a week." (its across the hwy from my work)

So can any one tell me how I am doing on the gluten free/yeast free diet.   :)

I'm with Janna.... may as well shoot me  :) 

But I do read all these healthy things, think, and pounder, meditate a little.

kimbo
Diagnosed March of 2007. SJS/ RA Positive at 80  International-SSA strongly positive at 811-SSB 273
ANA positive at 1:1280
Hashimoto's
Gabapentin, propanol, Celebrex, Synthroid, Cytomel, vitamin D, B complex, Omega 3 complex, and multi vitamins; At 62, I seem to be a low maintenance sjog

quiger

• Sjogrens Staff
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2009, 03:40:42 PM »
Kimbo, you are too funny. You sure gave me my smile for the day. Thanks.

quig
Check out the info on the home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html

jonnell

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2009, 03:58:47 PM »
Leisla,  Its just not that easy, when you have a child that is used to eating a certain way,  you cant just stop everything.  And their is no medical evidence that any of this would even work,  I have nothing against the people who chose to eat healthy or make their kids eat that way.  I hope that you werent trying to say Im a bad mother because I just dont stop and change her eating certain things, as anyone who knows me from this site knows that i am my daughters biggest advocate and would do anything to make her feel better.  I would give my life to make her free from this disease and be healthy.  But yeast free, gluten free, sugar free, is not a thing you can just do overnite especially with a 4 year old little girl who enjoys her pizza and chocolate milk.

jonnell

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2009, 04:08:30 PM »
Kimbo,  you are great thank you for the laugh, I needed that come see me on facebook Jonnell Labas

laney

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2009, 06:26:25 PM »
hi,

new here, so maybe there will be some patient understanding if I say things that have been said before, or ruled out. have been celiac/gluten free diagnosed for about 5 years.  seems to me there was a lot about yeast/candida on the celiac list serv site.  try a google on celiacs and look for St. John's list, among others, celiac.com, etc.  there is usually a search window that should help with archives.  or just post a cautious note.  you will get lots of responses on the st. john's list. posters keep track of them and summarize for the list.  so it is a process.  you may want to start out reading the emails (oh, that's the other thing unique to the list -- you get daily emails as a member of the list if you join. you just sort thru/ delete what you are not interested in/ answer reply to the person you feel to/ read the summaries. very interesting, but very different from this forum.)

seems to me there is something about restoring balance to the tract using probiotics and something else.  also, that dairy reactions are sometimes due to damage from antibodies erroneously produced when gluten is in the diet.  so...when gluten is out, and time and probiotics help the tissue heal and restore, then dairy is 'processed' in a friendlier way.  same for fruits  -- all depends where the damage is.  see enterolab.com or celiac.com for the Dr. Fine (baylor univ texas) article on villa.   but that was mostly with lactose intolerance symptoms. 

some neuro reactions come from protein strings getting into the blood stream from tract damage -  crossing what is called the blood/brain barrier.

You have all done some great things, reading your children so well and responding to their needs. Great going, gals.  :)

bye for now,

laney