Author Topic: Different take on SjS House episode  (Read 10134 times)

LAU

Different take on SjS House episode
« on: May 22, 2009, 02:03:52 PM »
I couldn't reply for some reason to the last thread on this episode, it ended up going really off topic so idk.
I saw the episode before I was diagnosed with SjS. What I related to most was the desperation of the woman to get diagnosed.
I myself had considered seducing a really good doctor to make sure he took my case seriously and finally did something.
So I understand the "girl-on-girl" action. I would have gone that far at some points in my life to get a diagnosis.
The fatigue is just too much to bear when its "all in your head"
I need to see the episode again, I love the show and have all the DVDs.
Not only is a great show, but so relatable for people searching for a diagnosis.
I feel so greatful to have found my Dr. House, and I didn't even have to sleep with him!   ;D

Jesse88

Re: Different take on SjS House episode
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 02:28:23 PM »
Hi Lau,

I was grateful for that episode too (love House!) in that it brought some attention to SS.  However, I was terribly disappointed in the light attitude he took when he dxd it.  If I remember correctly, he just said something off-hand about using some eye-drops and maybe one other minor medication and that was it.  There was no indication given that she had a serious disease which needed much more than what he was offering.  OK, maybe they didn't want to go into a whole song and dance about SS, but they really played it down too much.  For many people, SS is a serious health problem and a show like this just makes an SS patient seem like a cry-baby (minus the tears!) about a minor condition.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 03:37:17 PM by Jesse88 »

Nathan

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 02:42:47 PM »
I too, enjoy House, and enjoyed the episode, but what I did not like is the route to diagnosis they took. Spencer had a positive diagnosis for LAM (Lymphangioleiomyomatosis), which turns out to not be correct, and it is also not related to SJS.
The treatment was kind of bogus too, eye drops and methylprednisolone (medrol).

TerriJ

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 06:18:31 PM »
I did not see this episode, but I like House a lot.  Can you watch old episodes online at all I wonder?  Often times on these shows it seems like they don't research things as thouroughly as they should to have it be accurate, but I think they are primarily looking at the entertainment factor.

Terri

Billydude

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 09:46:54 PM »
I was very dissapointed in the episode as well.   It sort of summed it up as "don't worry, its just dry eyes and dry mouth".   Dry eye and dry mouth are WAY down on the list of problems this disease give me.

kathyl

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 07:36:13 PM »
I loved that episode and when I see a new doctor now and say I have SJS they perk right up and start asking questions that let me know they saw the episode.  The girl had way more than just dry eyes and dry mouth.  She had neuropathy, seizures, lung problems, many things that I have too.  I think Dr. House ordered IV methylprednisolone in the hospital to stabilize her.  I am sure she saw a Rheumatologist after that.  The show was shown twice last fall and should be shown at least once this summer as a rerun.  I plan to watch it again.

Stillinlimbo

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 07:51:09 PM »
I dont recall the episode, although I dont recall alot sometimes,,,,,, ::)But, I want to know where I, where we all can find a good diagnostician like House!

Katybarstool

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 11:35:46 AM »
Hi

I have always felt left out, being in the UK, and not being able to see this wonderful 'House'. Well, we are now going to be able to watch it on one of the Sky channels - I can't wait. Hopefully, I will be able to add my two pen'orth!

Kathyx 

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 12:36:33 PM »
Kathy, you won't know Hugh Laurie...he sounds completely American!
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

Jesse88

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 02:02:21 PM »
His American accent is so good (actually it's flawless!) that I had no idea he was British until I read it in a review.   :D

Stillinlimbo

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 03:38:08 AM »
I always find that so amazing when actors change their accent either to American from their normal Brit, or visa versa. Hmmm, things that make one wonder about.  ;D
He does do an awesome job though. Quite handsome too when he's all cleaned up and shaved.

LAU

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 09:55:50 AM »
oh yes, the things i'd do to dr. gregory house...  :-*
but wait, you know who i'm really in love with? dr. chase! omg he's to die for, if he was real  ;)

Epson

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 10:18:23 PM »
Billydude,

I completely agree with you, in-fact I probably wouldn't have gone to the doctor if it was just dry mouth and eyes.

missyb

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 10:50:13 PM »
I never saw the episode, but my son tells me you can watch any tv show at hulu.com ? anyone ever try that?

Patze

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2009, 05:16:40 AM »
Hi Lau,

I saw that show and I was not impressed either, even though I love the show!  I too have the first year on disk, and am planning on buying the second one soon. 

I didn't know he was British either!  Wow, and he has great blue eyes, doesn't he? ;D  And about Dr. Chase, I too would kill for a guy like that, but oh well, it's nice to dream! :D

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen