Author Topic: collarbone & neck pain  (Read 6128 times)

seren

collarbone & neck pain
« on: May 13, 2009, 06:05:06 PM »
Hi All,

I am new and have posted only a few times. I am awaiting results of a lip biopsy which I had a week ago, am a bit stressed as I still have considerable numbness.  Anyway.....I am wondering if anyone has collarbone pain, mine is quite a nasty dullish ache underneath the collarbone accompanied (altho..not always) by stabbing type pain in the base of the neck on the side.  I have had this for about a year or so, a few months after the intial start of my health problems.

Does anyone know what causes this ???

Thanks
Paula ;D

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
Re: collarbone & neck pain
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 06:23:46 PM »
Hi Paula  :)

I'm not medical so this is just a thought and may be off the mark. SjS causes connective tissue inflammation and this can happen anywhere. It's not unusual to get costochondritis which is inflammation of the connective tissue around the sternum (except I manage to get it round the ribs to the back too) so I don't see why it couldn't also be happening at collarbone level.

I'd get your doc to check it though. Pain is a warning that something is wrong and doc's don't know we're hurting unless we tell 'em. (Not that they always liten!)

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

eyeamdry

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 06:57:34 PM »
Hi Paula-
I get similar pain and mine goes into the neck muscles and also one side on the collarbone.  Even worse is the pain I have in my shoulder joints.  None of my many meds seem to help.  I did physical therapy once and that made it worse.  I am seeing my GP Monday about trying a cortisone shot in one or both shoulders.  Maybe I should only get one to see how it works first.  Lucy
Lucy
*Dry Eye Queen
**Popsicle Queen

Patze

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 08:26:09 PM »
Hi Paula,

I often get a pain in my neck, the back of it to be more specific...it hurt for several weeks and just stopped.  I can't explain why it does that, but it travels from one area of my body to another and some times more than one area at a time hurts (there are days!).  It's not as bad as it has been (before Lyrica and Flexeril), but there are times I just want to cry because of the pain.

I've been down the physical therapy route, and it helped some, but it took a while to get to that level.  Have you been prescribed it yet?

Take care and I hope you feel better soon -

Patze                     

Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

Heather Bell

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 01:03:18 PM »
This sounds like one for the docs to me, If you have to wait for an appointment I would keep a diary of the pain and what you were doing before it started, it might help with diagnosis.
I get side neck & above collar bone pain due to inflammation in the neck veins/arteries but it does not sound like this as I can also feel the artery throbbing.
Heather

fluffiebunnie

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 01:37:55 PM »
For the last two/three weeks I have had a pain that is on one side of my neck that travels from the base of my ear down into my collarbone... it felt like something was "torn" to start with, and now it is more like a pulled muscle feeling... it hurts when i turn my head to look sideways.. I take paracetamol for this quite often and am at the moment keeping a symptom diary as I do not see my Rheumy until August and am as yet diagnosed...

Katybarstool

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 03:40:11 PM »
Hi

I've been getting collarbone pain too, for a couple of years. It can be intensly painful for a couple of days, and the third day it's absolutely fine. I think when the rheumatologist prodded it, he thought it might be related to fibromyalgia or osteoarthritis.

Kathyx

seren

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 06:51:19 PM »
I just remembered I had posted this, my brain is getting worse  ::) Thankyou all for your thoughts and experiences on this, I will mention it to the DOC I am waiting for an appt at the moment.  I thought of fibro but don't seem to have any of the 'tender points'  the costochondritis sounds plausible as I also get chest pain.  Also, (heather) there is a pulsating there but not sure if its my fingers or my collarbone  ;D

I know under the collarbone are lymph nodes and was wondering whether there might have been a connection??

Anyway, cheers for your replies -

Godbless
Paula ;)