Author Topic: Plaquenil and drinking  (Read 6179 times)

Sadrian

Plaquenil and drinking
« on: May 07, 2009, 08:42:23 PM »
Hi there:

I was just prescribed Plaquenil.  The doctor didn't say anything about alcohol use, nor does the bottle.  But I read the literature that came along with the pills and it says to "avoid alcohol" due to liver problems. 

Does taking Planquenil mean abstaining from alcohol completely?  Does anyone ever drink a glass of wine or two per week? 

Thank you again, for sharing  your experiences.
Sadrian

ktfabian

Re: Plaquenil and drinking
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 08:54:15 PM »
Hi Sadrian -

I've been on Plaquenil since 1998 or so, and I may have had a tiny glass of wine since, but that's about it.  It's not the plaquenil that stops me from drinking, though.  I'm on so many medicines at this point, I just figure I don't need to add alcohol to the mix of "stuff" I'm putting in my body everyday.

Tracy

eyeamdry

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 08:55:16 PM »
I also take Methotrexate, along with Plaquenil (plus many others) and I don't drink any alcohol.  Then again, this is an individual decision.  

I would run it by my doctor and see if they thought it was ok.  You then could either drink a little wine, or abstain.  I have read where a glass of wine OCCASIONALLY wouldn't hurt.  Obviously, if you are young, your liver is younger than mine.  
Maybe on special occasions.  Good luck.  Lucy

DragonflyC

• Sjogren's Style
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 09:28:22 PM »
I love wine.  And margaritas.  And gin and tonics.  Unless I'm having a flare, I drink a few glasses of wine a week (or night).  If I'm feeling really dried out or my joints are swollen, I don't b/c alcohol makes those things worse even in healthy people.  I take plaquenil, evoxac, and thyroid meds, and my doctor says it's fine.

Now, of course, overdoing it isn't healthy for anyone.  And if you take a lot of ibuprofen, you don't want to add alcohol to the mix.  I also agree that checking with your doctor is never a bad idea.  But if you have a healthy, adult, non-addictive relationship with alcohol, you're probably OK. 

We'd likely all feel a teeny bit better if we cut alcohol, coffee, chocolate, and lots of other delicious things out of our diets.  Some people have bad reactions to these things and should avoid them completely.  For me, though, it's not worth that teeny bit of added health.  If a glass of wine tastes wonderful, complements your dinner (or evening), and makes you happy, then I say go for it.  Or, rather, cheers!
SJS, Hashimoto's, Raynaud's
Plaquenil, Evoxac, Restasis, Levoxyl, fish oil supplements, Vitamin D, NSAIDs, prednisone when flaring
Tested positive for SS-A ( > 8 ) and ANA (>1:640)

Visit me at http://sjogrensstyle.com for ideas about living well despite autoimmune disease.

dbab

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 11:01:05 PM »
I would drink with no problem on Plaquenil.  Never had a problem and my regular blood tests always came back ok (including liver enzyme tests). 

I'm now also on Methotrexate and I do not drink at all.

I would definitely discuss it with your doc and make sure you get regular blood tests to check and see that you aren't causing any problems if you decide to drink.

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 08:36:05 AM »
Hi Sadrian  :)

I've been on Plaquenil for 5 years now and I have a drink most weekends. I don't drink as much as I used to - I don't feel like it. Plaquenil can put an extra strain on the liver. I'm also on Tramadol and paracetamol and they put a strain on the liver too. No one has mentioned abnormal liver readings after any recent blood test - so I'm carrying on with drinks at the weekend.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

beverley

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 10:34:19 AM »
I am on Plaquenil and have been for about three years now.  I drink regularly (healthy, non-addictive relationship) and my tests always come back fine.  My rheumy said it was fine for me to drink along as it is not excessive and my GP, who knows what meds I am on, says not to exceed the recommended maximum level for a woman (14 units per week).  I am like you Dragonflyc, I enjoy alcohol but am not dependent on it and I have avoided MTX because of the restrictions it would put on one of the few elements of relaxation that I have.  Although my rheumy said that a glass with food even on MTX is okay.

I would check with your rheumy because they all have their own take on this and whatever your decision just be sensible and don't abuse your body by going too mad.

Cheers!

Beverley