Author Topic: Pain in shoulder and shoulder joint  (Read 9259 times)

eyeamdry

Pain in shoulder and shoulder joint
« on: May 06, 2009, 06:16:39 PM »
Hi everyone-
I have this problem and it's causing me to lay on the couch all day every day and ignore everything and everyone.  Not good.  I'm trying to understand the pain in my shoulders.  I should say I had this pain when I first was dx with Sjogrens and was at my sickest.

First, my shoulders hurt when I raise my arms and I know this is not unusual for someone in their 60's, let alone someone with Sjogrens.  When I'm not moving my arms, the shoulders still ache and hurt, pain with sort of a burn.  I am speaking of my shoulder joint where the bone sits in the rotator cuff.  Sorry, but that's a little rough, but you get the idea.  It hurts around the shoulder blades and neck too, but the pain IN the actual joing is terrible.

I have a partial knee replacement that is 7 or 8 years old and it has been bothering me and I do have an appt next week with the ortho surgeon who did the surgery.  If I'm lucky, he'll tell me I need more exercise. 

The shoulder joints hurt regardless that I take methotrexate, plaquenil, and have vicodin and muscle relaxers, and oh yes Lyrica.  I'm not looking for any more meds for sure.  I went and had a massage yesterday and will have another next week.  It didn't relp the actual shoulder joints, but loosened me up around the shoulder blades and neck.  Is this how other's shoulders hurt?  It's almost worse if I'm not doing anything.  Lucy

Epson

Re: Pain in shoulder and shoulder joint
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 09:40:31 PM »
Lucy,

This is all too familiar too me, not even cortisone injection have helped.  When I sneeze it hurts my shoulders or even moving the mouse on my computer.

I don't have a remedy for you, but they say misery likes company,  so I guess you have company, now what's for dinner?

missyb

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 07:21:05 AM »
I am having the same dang problem, except I know from my personal experience that for me this pain is being referred down from my jacked up neck which had a severe injusry when I was a child. I often feel like someone is trying to pull my arm out it's socket. I see a chiropracter and am usually able to get some relief when he gets my neck moving, but yesterday I went and my neck is just frozen up and won't budge for an adjustment. Now I'm deciding if I want to bug the Dr :-\

ruby52

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 07:59:44 AM »
Five or six yrs. ago the right shoulder and neck hurt so bad I had scans and an MRI of the neck.It was swollen and a lot of fluid in the shoulder joint area.Cortisone shot helped for a while and the Dr. said next time rotatar cuff surgery might be in order.I'm very careful about overdoing when lifting or reaching.I use heat,ice and muscle relaxers along with lots of prayers that it will heal on it's own and I won't have to get that awful shot and I don't want surgery.I have always carried all my stress in my neck area.Headaches are constant.MRI showed DD so all I can do is be aware of everything I do and do it gently.
                                               Ruby

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 08:03:35 AM »
Hi Lucy  :)

I complained of shoulder pain, was sent to an orthopedic doc who ordered x-rays and dxd osteo arthritis and sent me for physiotherapy. In my case - the physio helped a lot.

I went back to the orthopedic guy for a check up and he asked me if I wanted a replacement shoulder joint. Well - I'm not in that much pain. If it got really painful I's consider it but I've found the daily exercises the physio gave me to do has held it in check.

I don't know whether SjS has anything to do with mine or not. Have you had your shoulders x-rayed?

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

eyeamdry

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 12:29:06 PM »
Yes, I've had my left shoulder x-rayed.  I'm sure it was "mild osteoporosis" or normal.  That's what everything is.  NO shoulder replacements or rotator cuff surgery in my future as far as I'm concerned.  My knee replacement is enough and if I do any more it will be to keep me walking.....as in another knee or hip replacement.  So far, my hips are holding out though.  i see my GP tomorrow to talk about "yeast" that he thinks may be making me foggy.  I have to also talk about fatigue as I'm still glued to the couch.  I usually can get up by 4 pm every day and move a bit. 

I guess the shoulder thing surprises me as I've never been active or worked with my arms doing anything.  I upped my vicodin from 2x day to 3x day and will talk with doc tomorrow about that. 

I will keep the forum informed.  I love it when people write back with their doctor's appointments and I think we learn so much from others.  Lucy

Katybarstool

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 01:48:27 PM »
Lucy

I'm sorry about your shoulder. I was thinking about our 'popsicle Queen' this morning when I was resting on the couch with nmy freezing feet on a hot water bottle, and in my hand for the dry mouth - yes, a rocket ice lolly. If anyone saw me, they would have thought I was mad!

Kathyx

jdryer

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 02:59:10 PM »
It happens when you eat something your body cannot process.  Especially any wheat.  I had the same problem but not much better after following the Eat Right 4 Your Blood type diet.  Goggle Dr. Peter D'Adamo & read posts in the forum.  It was the best thing I ever done for myself last year.

Katybarstool

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 01:19:40 PM »
I've had a painful left shoulder for the last couple of weeks. Also, I'm having a lot of muscle pain in the left upper arm. I know it's a mechanical type pain, as it comes on when I'm active.

I wondered if it might have been caused by the seat belt when I bumped my car into the skip, but on further investigation, the seatbelt goes nowhere near the bits that hurt.  Then I wondered whether it was related to my sleeping position, as I sleep on my front, and sometimes wake up with my arms above my head.

Any ideas?

Kathyx

Kewanee

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 02:35:26 PM »
Me too. And, the burning pain goes up the neck as well. I hate cortizone shots but the last one I had a few years ago did help.
Kewanee

Jules48cats

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 02:59:38 PM »
I know where you are coming from.  I have RA along with SJS. Tthe RA started in the back of my neck.   It got so bad this year that I was having headaches behind my eyes and such shoulder pain I couldn't sleep at night. I just could not get my neck and shoulder to stop hurting at the same time.  My Rheumy gave me a cortisone shot and then had me start therapy.  They did deep tissue massage, which really hurt at first, exercises and electric stim.  It really helped.  I can't say there is no pain, but it is a manageable level.   Good luck and I hope your Doc's find something to help. 

Babs659

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 04:52:19 PM »

Hey, Kathy.  I've got a great idea.  Why don't I come over and put my burning hot feet on your ice cold ones and we'll both be in heaven!

Lucy

I'm sorry about your shoulder. I was thinking about our 'popsicle Queen' this morning when I was resting on the couch with nmy freezing feet on a hot water bottle, and in my hand for the dry mouth - yes, a rocket ice lolly. If anyone saw me, they would have thought I was mad!

Kathyx

Patze

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 06:27:18 PM »
Hi Lucy,

I often have a painful shoulder or two, and like you, it hurts to lift it some days (and I get a weird clicking noise in the joint, it's odd).  The rheumy does the shot route, and as much as I hate needles, I'll stick with the shots, they hurt far less than the joint/muscle areas.

Patze
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 03:48:20 AM by Patze »
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

TerriJ

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 07:38:43 PM »
I have frozen shoulder in both shoulders, but since being diagnosed with fibro and SJS it is worse.  I have been going to physical therapy and that helps a lot.  The exercises and stretching are not fun and can be painful, but in the end it helps.  The PT also does adjustments kind of like a chiropractor and this also helps.  The range of motion in my shoulders is not good.

Terri

lynnmarie219

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2009, 08:02:58 AM »
I'm having pain and weakness in my right shoulder now that I have been dealing with for a few months...falling down not too long ago didn't help any either, but that pain has healed.

I just went to my rheumy and neuro appts. yesterday and they both examined my arm. My neuro and GP suggested a cortisone shot and my rheumy suggested PT again. She is not a fan of the shots because they are a temporary fix and she explained how complicated the shoulder joint is with all of the tendons.

I don't know if I can adjust my work schedule again for PT right now but I have gone in the past for tendinitis of my elbow, lower back and hip pain, and my achilles tendon tears/tendinitis and I have alwasy respond well to physical therapy ( I always get the same therapist too...they know I am a repeat customer...lol).

For now I will play it by ear...I have the order if I decide to go back to PT! Until then...I'm careful with my arm and ice it a lot!  :)