Author Topic: Yes, I have dry eyes, but how about EXTREME dry skin?  (Read 3558 times)

DrySuffererfromCA

Yes, I have dry eyes, but how about EXTREME dry skin?
« on: May 05, 2009, 11:38:25 PM »
Anyone have extreme dry skin as a main symptom?  I am starting to learn about sjogren's and want to i understand if those affected have difference symptoms that are more severe than others?  My main too EXTREME severe symptoms are dry eyes and skin, with occasional dry mouth.  Can you have Sogren's without having much of a dry mouth?  Also, it seems like my glands aren't swollen or painful either.

Linda196

• Administrator
Re: Yes, I have dry eyes, but how about EXTREME dry skin?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 04:18:18 AM »
Hello Drysufferer, and welcome to Sjogren's World.

By extremely dry, do you mean dried out to the point of splitting or cracking? I've been there, but for the most part, my dry skin is shiny, flaky, with thickened rough patches on knees and elbows. I sometimes feel like I'm singlehandedly supporting the cosmetic's industry, lotions department.

My rheumy didn't seem in the least bit surprised by the dryness of my skin and said it could be even worst. I had to tell him that I have always "lotioned up" before seeing him, so he hasn't seen it at it's worst! I hope to be seeing a new dermatologist soon (no dissatisfaction with the last one, he suggested a change, because he hoped a fresh eye might be more helpful) and she may have more insight, which I will, of course, pass on.

I use several different lotions, hoping to get the various benefits working together...I basically keep a different formula in every room and apply liberally.

This skin condition was progressively getting worse as my other SjS symptoms were starting, but it wasn't my first sign. Since SjS is highly individual, it's very possible to have your own personal blend of symptoms, and if dry mouth and swollen glands aren't among your's, lucky you! Have you been diagnosed, or are you still in the "I wonder if it could be..." limboland?

As you browse the posts here, you'll find so many stories that speak directly to you, and lots of helpful information on coping with the symptoms.

Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

gsmraxe

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 08:32:35 AM »
From what I've read on here, eyes don't have to be the main thing to have SJS.  Mine are my sinuses.  My eyes aren't that bad, but my sinuses swell closed on one side in the spring/summer/fall from the dry weather (you know all about that being here in SOCAL).  It gives me migranes when we get our santa anas...so you're not alone :-)

dbab

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 08:42:43 AM »
I have dry skin but I also have eczema, dermatitis and auto immune rashes.  My doc has me on Amlactin which has helped a lot.  My husband has keratosis pilaris and it even helps him.  It is a bit pricey but may just be what you need.  If that doesn't work, there are other products but may be a good idea to get a body cream instead of lotion which is better for extreme dry skin.

KYMOM

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 11:55:07 AM »
Dry, Three or four years ago I noticed that I had very dry patches under my chin and next to my mouth and nose.  I have always had dry skin.  The dry patches made me look even older than I was.  I also have sensitive skin so I had to be careful what I used.  I discovered a face cream and body lotion that work for me.  Each day after my shower, I use the face cream (spf 15) and use the body cream from head to toe.  I have found that it really helps with my dry skin. 

As far as the mouth, diagnosed a year ago and my mouth is still not that much of a problem. Roxanne 

dbab

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 12:11:36 PM »
Just wanted to add that my dermy says NO washcloths or anything like that as this can exfoliate your natural moisturizers in your body and strip them.  Do not rub the towel on your body to dry off, rather just "blot" yourself with the towel.  Put the lotion or cream immediately after you dry yourself as your body is more likely to absorb it at this time.

You may also want to try a hypo allergenic soap with no fragrance.  I use Dove for sensitive skin and its nice because it has some moisturizing cream that is acceptable and hasn't caused me problems.  My dermy is the one that suggested it.

ErinG

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 12:24:15 PM »
I have very dry skin as well, but it has gotten much better since winter ended.  I get brown, dry patches on my hips, and I get dry patches on my face near my ears, too.  I use Aveeno lotion from head to toe when I get out of the shower and it seems to really last all day.  I use Clinique moisturizer for my face (dramatically different moisturizer).  I use hand cream throughout the day to keep my hands from cracking.

I'm shopping around for new moisturizers with SPF.   I recently started taking Cellcept so I need to be extra careful with sun exposure.  Does anyone use a moisturizer with SPF that works really well on dry skin too? 

Denise

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 01:05:22 AM »
ok, here is my two cents, everyone is different.

I too use dove, no purfume or dyes for washing (recommended by dermy, I have sensitive skin also new with sjs),  I use Olay Complete for my face it has spf15, vitamin e and c is also PABA free and non greasy Dermatologist tested and wont clog pores.

For my body, I have turned my Derma on to this and many eczema sufferers also: its AVON's Moisture Therapy Intensive Hand Cream in Tube and Extra Strength cream in a jar, Wonderful!  some times I mix the two when I am really dry.

My Mom also use's it, she is on the many meds for transplant Patient's and really suffers from cracked dry skin.

Good Luck and best wishes for the No Itchies
Denise 

missyb

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 02:24:05 AM »
It's getting in the 100's here in Az and this year I am really feeling it. My eyes have been so dry. Normally it's not too big of a problem, but it now is. My skin is also feeling it and my hands and feet have been extremely dry, and my heels both cracked and split way open on one side. I was very surprised how fast it happened and how much it hurt! Anyway, I tried Gold Bond's Healing lotion and it had them better within a couple days, I also have foregone the flip flops and and sticking w/ shoes and socks as much as possible.

gurs

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 11:36:57 AM »
I cant imagine living in a dry climate like some of you gal's do. Arizona? oh my.... I thought dealing with the change of weather in Michigan was hard? I went to Utah years ago and had a terrible time with the dry climate. I could barely breathe. I do well in Florida, with the higher humidity like Im sure most of us with sjogrens would.

I have extremely dry skin, I mean tight, hurts-burns to the touch dry skin. The only thing that helps with that is I use Lubriderm Intensive Skin repair..with itch relief. This stays on
for at least 24 hours.

gursie
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements