Author Topic: Been very sick w/ flu/bronchitis BUT my joints feel great!  (Read 3647 times)

Marymum23

Been very sick w/ flu/bronchitis BUT my joints feel great!
« on: March 25, 2009, 02:06:46 PM »
I have been in  a major flair since Jan 1st with increased joint pain, dryness, ringing in the ears & tingling (may not be neuro though).  Last week, I began to get sick.  Ended up with very bad bronchitis & reactive airways.  Chicken soup was just not cutting through the chest congestion.  My rhuemy saw me yesterday for a scheduled appt. & listened to my chest & got an X ray.   Now I am on albuterol nebulizer &Levaquin which is a wonder drug for me.  While feverish on Saturday, I realized that my hand, wrist, elbow & knee joints feel "normal" for the first time in 3 months. 

I asked my doctor about this.  She said this is typical with auto-immune diseases--when you get sick with something else the auto immune attack lessens at least temporarily. 

Has anyone else experienced this?

blessings,
Mary

Dolly Dimples

Re: Been very sick w/ flu/bronchitis BUT my joints feel great!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 03:44:22 PM »
   Mary I am sorry you have been in a bad flare- up for so long, and that it has taken another complaint to calm it down !
        I have not had any experience of  that which you describe but, I am now of the opinion that Mr Sjogrens can just about get us in any which way he can!
                Hope everything settles down for you soon.. Dolly

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 05:42:26 PM »
Hi Mary  :)

I haven't heard that before but I suppose there is a sort of twisted logic to it and our overactive immune systems actually find a real invader to attack and 'go to it' - leaving the rest of us alone!

Well - I hope when its won its battle against the 'invader' - that it's tired and calms down for a while and leaves you alone!!

I do hope you feel better soon.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Cheryl

• Sjogrens Staff
    • Enter here for chat room:
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 06:01:35 PM »
Mary,
   How ironic!   I know you welcome the freedom from pain, but I wish you didn't have to be sick to experience it.   Hope your breathing is better now.   Take care.
Cheryl
Chat co-host on Thursdays at 8:00 Eastern time

beverley

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 01:59:01 PM »
Mary,
Really sorry you have been in a long flare.  I had one last Autumn and I know how depressing and wearing it can be.  Interestingly I have had a similar experience where another illness seems to knock an aspect of SJS off its perch.  Like Scottie said let's hope that your immune system is exhausted from fighting a real illness and leaves your joints alone.

Best wishes

Beverley

mcdreamyfan

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 07:53:44 AM »
I am very sick right now wtih flu/bronchitis.. the worst part is once I fall asleep for a few hours my throat is so tight and dry I almost can't swallow.. I have no salvia whatsoever and it hurts so badly I just cry.. but I have no tears so I look like I am gagging!!!!  I can't take Levaquin... as with most people who have AI I am allergic to just about everything.. Microbid put me in the hosptial and Sulfatrim almost killed me... I am on Keflex (not sure if I spelled that correctly)....

I hurt all over. feel like a train as run over me.. so the antibodic I'm on is of no help to the pain... I can't take Dervocet so I'm just on Motrin and Tyenol which are like popping Tic-Tacs... 

What are you doing for your sore throat?? does anything help?  I have no salvia... NONE!!!! I'm sick of drinking water.. THIS ILLNESS SUCKS!!!!!!

WiVal

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 08:24:46 AM »
There is an organic tea that might help your dry sore throat, organic throat coat made by Traditional Medicinals. A friend gave me a sample and I liked it. Wival

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 09:46:34 PM »
mary, I find that to be an interesting remark that your doc made but I can't explain it. However, if it was me I would be assuming that having an infection treated with antibiotic could improve the aching in joints, etc.

My theory would be that the lymphocytes are normally geared up with the AI disease and when an infection occurs this revs up the white cells all the more which results in increased symptoms. I guess I would think that the infection and the stress of the illness is what was making symptoms worse. Glad that you are feeling better now.

Any other theories out there. Irish ;D

Abbasgirl

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 09:56:06 AM »
Mary, that's very interesting!

I've yet to catch anything to need antibiotics. I've not been sick in years. One rheumy told me that due to the hyperimmunity that I can't reall catch anything. It was one of many things she said that made my eyes roll.

I hope you continue to feel better like this after you get well. That's awesome.

McDreamyfan... I don't know what to tell you but I feel really bad for you. When my throat gets severely dry and sore, nothing like yours though, I like peppermints...something with real peppermint in it. It seems to help me most. (((Hugs))) So sorry you're sick.

Marymum23

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 11:27:06 AM »
Hey everyone,
I am more or less over the bronchitis.  I had to up my prednisone to clear the wheezing.  I am just really, really,  really tired out now, post illness fatigue i guess.  I also started a new DMARD, Myfortic.  Its like cellcept without the stomach upset.  It could be that.  Who knows.

My joints are back to sore, but not as sore as before. I Possibly due to increasing the prednisone...

McDreamyfan, are you better yet?  I hope so.  The dry, sore throat is so rotten to have.  Yes, I hate drinking water constantly too....

thanks to all who replied,  Just reading them I don't feel alone in all this mess.   I love you guys :)

Mary in LA