Author Topic: Update on Events in my life  (Read 3772 times)

Nettie

Update on Events in my life
« on: September 25, 2008, 05:51:57 AM »
Hi everyone, I have been reading a few posts and realized just how lax I have been with writing about myself and keeping folks up to date on some of the things that have been and are going on with me.  So this post is primarily an update.

For the good news; as most of you know I had been fighting for SSDI (social security disability).  Well, after 3 1/2 years since stopping work, and 2 1/2 years after applying , I have finally been approved!! 

For all of you who are currently going through this difficult journey, do not give up.  For those who are trying to decide when you too might need to take this path, I will sum up my advise as follows (and this is not meant to scare anyone from taking this route):

- Anticipate the worst (a long battle) and you just might be pleasantly surprised.  If you are one of the lucky few that gets approved quickly the extra steps you put into place cannot hurt you, however if the process is a long one, you will be more prepared to handle it.

As for my health, I am facing a few new challenges.  I may have degenerative disc disease.  I have been having more and more pain in my neck and back with muscle spasms, etc.  The pain I was experiencing has been one of the things that has limited my time on the computer and one of the things that has contributed to my lack of participation here.  Tomorrow I have an appointment with a Neurosurgeon to go over an MRI of my neck that shows disc compression in 3 places and pressing on my spinal cord.  I am anticipating an upcoming surgery and thus I will be again out of commission and off the boards.

Additionally, I lost my cat in June and I do miss her terribly. 

Anyway, that's pretty much it for me.  I probably will not be able respond quickly to messages, but I did want to let you all know how I have been doing.

Nettie

Pooh

Re: Update on Events in my life
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 06:17:59 AM »
Hi Nettie,
So good to hear from you again.  Sorry to hear about your cat, we do get attached to our furry friends. 

I hope all goes well with your neurosurgeon.  If you get a chance, let us know how the appointment goes.

Congrats on getting the SSD.

Hugs, Pooh
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 05:17:29 AM by Pooh »

Mark54

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 07:39:18 AM »
Nettie,
      It's good to hear from you. I want to thank you for all of you personnel messages about your experiences with the SSD system. It has given Chele and I hope.

God's blessings,

Mark....

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 10:21:41 AM »
Hi Nettie  :)

Nice to hear from you. I'm glad you got approved for SSDI.

I'm sorry to hear you're in mopre pain and I'm also very sorry to hear about your cat. I know only too well how sad it is to lose a pet.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

gsmraxe

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 12:38:47 PM »
Verry sorry to hear about your loss.  Pets are just as much a part of our families as the "human" ones.

Are you going to adopt a new cat soon?

wen.uk

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 02:07:58 AM »
Hi Nettie

Sorry to hear you've got another health issue to deal with, and even worse one that keeps you from the forum.  Please keep us in touch whenever you can.  As for losing your pet have you checked for the poem 'rainbow bridge' on the net?, it gave me an awful lot of comfort when I lost my last cat.

Wen x

pudmott

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008, 07:09:38 AM »
Hi nettie,
Sorry to hear about your fur baby. I'm sure she is having fun where she is now and shining lots of love down on you. Im sure she/he will be looking out for you and guide you safely through your current health issues and make sure you come out of it safe and sound. Angels still exist when we cant see them.

congratulations on getting the SSDI. It must be a relief. At least thats one less thing to worry about now. You can concentrate on your neck.

take care and keep us posted when you can

Pud

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2008, 03:52:11 PM »
nettie, Sorry to hear that you are having issues with your back that will necessitate surgery. The good thing is that they are so much better at doing this type of surgery these days. Also sorry to hear that you lost your cat. They can be such good friends for us. Hopefully you will find another one to fill that lonely spot.

Also, glad to hear that you got the disability. Yes, it is a long road for this and it takes much perserverence but it is worth it. I still maintain that they have a yearly quota in every state and have to stretch things out in order to meet their goal. Not fair, but money is always tight with the government.

Hope all goes well with you. Irish ;D

SeaBreeze

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2008, 04:47:48 PM »
Hi,
I'm sorry to hear about your difficulties.  So sorry to hear about your loss, I know how hard that kind of loss is. but Kitty Heaven is a little brighter...

Nettie

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 12:04:58 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm still struggling with the my back / neck issues.  The neurosurgeon gave me options of doing nothing (with risk), the pro's and con's of surgery, and an option to seek a second opinion in order to help make my decision, but if I delay surgery I should repeat my MRI after 6 months to determine if my condition remains stable or if there is further deterioration.  I choose to delay and to seek a second opinion which hasn't been easy.  Many recommended Neurosurgeon's do not accept my insurance coverage, but I have finally found someone via a recommendation and I'm scheduled to see him mid March.  My repeat MRI is not scheduled until July, but I'll now leave it up to the new Neurosurgeon to determine if it should be done sooner.

I realized through all of this that I am also dealing with a fear of surgery because of past bad experience with drug allergic reactions. That doesn't mean I won't do the surgery, I simply need a doctor who helps me by recommending the option and path I should take based on all evidence and their expertise instead of completely leaving the decision to me in which case I am inclined to avoid it.   

Irish - I have been so saddened to read all of the struggles you have had to cope with this past year.  I can only hope and pray that you have improvement with your IV treatments and that the terrible infections you suffer from begin to respond to treatment.  You are one remarkable lady and you have been a blessing to so many on these boards.

Nettie

Pooh

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 02:06:34 PM »
Hi Nettie, welcome back I've missed you. ;D

Not sure if this would help you but our family swears by ours.  Hubby had disc surgery years ago but still has periodic problems.  Daughter has bad discs in her back and neck from years on the ambulance squad.  Youngest daughter had a fall in with horses and has a real bad back and neck. 

Anyway to make a long story short, we use the Teeter Hang Up, the one you see on the TV that hangs you at different degrees to allow your discs to rest.  I use to be able to use ours when my back and neck were getting painful but the last time I used it I passed out, so I don't try anymore.  (I guess "Fred" didn't like it.  :D)

You can try one at a sports shop where they are available.  They really do help with the spinal problems. 

Hugs, Pooh

Here's a link to them
http://www.inversion-table-direct.com/inversion-table/brand--teeter-hang-ups?utm_source=Overture&utm_medium=Keywords&utm_term=teeter+hang+up&utm_campaign=11130822#
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 02:08:59 PM by Pooh »

Nettie

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 04:08:59 PM »
wow - thanks pooh, I will surely look into this.  If I get relief that's all I care about. 

Blessing, Nettie

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 06:20:19 PM »
Nettie, Can you get a copy of the surgery records or places that would have documentation about the allergic reactions you have had and the name or possible meds that caused them? This would really help anesthesia. I have to tell you that if you have not had surgery for 10 years or more you will be amazed at how improved the anesthesia is. I just had a little scoping under anesthesia a month or so ago and it went very well. I guess I had to be intubated and that is always the hardest part for anesthesia. I hope that you can find out what to have done for your problems. No fun having that kind of pain all the time.

I am still having infections but I feel better this time after my infusion. This is the third infusion product they have tried on me and I think that it may be helping a little. Time will tell. Life is just what it is-----you take what you get!!!!Irish ;D

Pooh

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2009, 08:39:53 PM »
Hi again,
After I posted that link for you I went back and looked at it again.  The one we have is all the way on the bottom in the right hand margin.  We bought it at that price from our local sports equipment store. 

I can use it if I don't go all the way vertical.  It is really relaxing.   I call my daughter "Bat Girl" when she hangs upside down  and goes to sleep.  ;D

Try one out before you buy it if you thinking about it. 

Hugs, Pooh