Author Topic: Relocation - Dallas TX  (Read 2707 times)

Wynter

Relocation - Dallas TX
« on: February 04, 2009, 12:00:10 PM »
Hi Everyone,

My husband and I plan to relocate to the Dallas ( I am a native) area later this year. He's graduating from nursing school in May. Our plans have been to relocate for a few years now. Currently, we live in southern Ohio where it's cold.

I don't know if anyone can answer my question, but I wil ask anyway. Has anyone relocated from a colder climate to a warmer climate and did it help your symtoms? I guess I am looking for the pros and cons of living in a warmer climate vs. a colder climate. for example, it's drier in Dallas vs Ohio in the summer, so the summer humidity in Ohio helps.

If anyone has moved between climates and noticed good or bad differences let me know. We have also thought about Houston (HUMIDITY) but I want to be near my family. Thanks!

Pooh

Re: Relocation - Dallas TX
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 12:05:46 PM »
Wynter,
Our Quiger moved from Michigan to Florida a few years ago, I'm sure she will be checking in sometime today.  I know she is much happier in the warmer climate, although right now they are having some real cold temps at. :(  She will give you some good insight about the differences, I'm sure.

Take care and I'm glad to hear you will be moving home.  It's so much nicer being near your family.

Pooh

BonusMom

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 12:27:21 PM »
Congratulations on returning "home" and your husband completing nursing school!  As I still reside in my hometown, I cannot attest to the climate change and SjS, but will be interested to see how other's have faired.  One never knows where retirement will take us  ;)

quiger

• Sjogrens Staff
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 09:41:48 PM »
Hi Wynter,

I think both climates have their pros and cons. I lived in Michigan for most of my life and moved South a few years ago. Here in Florida, the heat and humidity in the summer can really get to me. I thought the humidity in Michigan was bad but there is no comparison, Florida is much worse. So, I think I would prefer the summers in Michigan and the rest of the time here. But this winter has been unusually cold and that has been rough for me too. It doesn't even come close to what's been happening up there this winter so I hate to complain, lol.

I think you will find that the spring, fall and winter in the South will be nice for your symptoms.  Also, alot of Sjogren's sufferers don't mind the summer heat or the humidity and some find the humidity nice for their dryness. It just seems to make my aches and pain worse. If given a choice, and I did have a choice, I prefer to live in the South. I can't imagine trying to live up there with Sjogren's. I have had to spend some time in Michigan during February and March for a couple of years due to family obligations and I hated every minute of it. I tried to stay inside but you can't always and the heat from the furnace didn't do me any favors, it made the dryness worse. Here, we don't need to run the furnace very often and I have a personal humidifier, I didn't have one with me up there.

No offense to anyone who lives in cold climates, but my particular symptoms do better in the southern climate. Since we are all so individual with our symptoms and how we react to different things, what is great for one may not be for someone else. So, it's really going to be a guessing game.

Good luck, I hope you find that moving back home will make your symptoms better. One more thing, the move itself. Even with help, moving is difficult, especially when it's a long distance move. Try to prepare for the move slowly and as early as you can. Remember to pace yourself and try not to push yourself too hard. You also may want to start getting copies of medical records, like tests results, etc to take with you when you find a new doctor. It may be faster than waiting for records to be sent. I hope you are keeping a journal with symptoms, meds and how they work or don't work for you, doctor appointments, etc.

I hope you have a smooth move and you find yourself feeling a little better afterward.

quiger
Check out the info on the home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html

Wynter

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 06:36:18 AM »
Thanks for the information about the differences. It's 8 degrees here today and I am missing the 60 degrees of Dallas.

We are planning on still moving. My husband quit his job 2 years to go to nursing school and he finishes in May. I was able to get a well paying job to support both of us. Shortly after he started school and I started the job, I started showing visible signs of Sjogrens. althought I have had the dry mouth\eyes for a while. I just didn't realize it.

Our plan is to move to Dallas after he finishes school. He would get a nursing job and I would find work as a Database Administrator (my current proffession). Well, the economy is playing tricks with our plan. My husband can work anywhere, but we hate for me to quit my job and not be able to find another. So, we might delay for a while and see what this economy does. But then again, I work for a metals manufactururer and this industry is not good now, so I could get laid off. We have to see what happens.

Thanks!

Pooh

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 07:21:20 AM »
Wynter, I just want to add my wishes for good luck in whatever you and your husband decide.  As the mother of a hospital worker (computer tech) I thank your husband for his choice of career.  We need all the nurses we can get at this point in time.  I'm sure he will be accepted with open arms where ever he applies. 

Good luck,

Pooh

ctrteresa

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 10:46:46 AM »
OH MY GOSH!  This is so wild.  I've been looking into going back to Dallas.  I used to work there, transferred to Nashville, then here to Chattanooga.  I've been diagnosed here in Chattanooga with Sjogrens.  I only spent 5 years in Dallas and my problems weren't bad there, my worst was the IBS. 

Anyway.  I did some looking on the Sjogren's Syndrome Foundation website about treatment centers.  Baylor University Medical Center (which I had gone to while living there) has a Salivary Dysfunction Clinic with their School of Dentistry.  In conjunction with the Salivary Dysfunction Clinic, they have the Sjogren's Multi-Specialty Referral Center.  I looked it up on their website.  Basically THEY coordinate all of your "oligists" and your medical care.  All of your doctors actually talk to each other and compare notes.  WHAT A CONCEPT!!!  Baylor is my hero.  I'm really hoping to be able to move back there, if for no reason at all just to have someone pat me on the back and say, "I understand and I'm here to help you."  As opposed to, "looks like acne" and "wear gloves."

So, I hope you end up in the Dallas are.  You might get a better deal on the healthcare professionals.  You'll certainly get a better deal in Dallas on the humidity than in Houston.  The high humidity in Chattanooga drains me.  However, when I'm in a dry heat, I'm not as bad.  The humidity really does make all the difference in the world.  I used to laugh when people said, "but it's a dry heat."  I couldn't imagine what they were talking about 90 degrees is 90 degrees.  NOT.  90 degrees in Dallas with humidity factored in is like 93 degrees.  90 degrees in Philadelphia (where I'm originally from) with the humidity factored in was like 96 degrees.  Huge difference when there's nothing but concrete surrounding you and no where for a breeze to come from to cool you off.     

Sorry, I hijacked this thread.  Bad habit.  Will you post pictures of the bluebonnets for me when you get there?  I miss the bluebonnets and Indian paintbrushes so much.  I loved being in the fields of bluebonnets.  I remember driving along the highway in the spring and seeing limos parked on the sides of the road.  The bridal parties would be standing in the bluebonnets getting their pictures taken.  They must have been the most beautiful pictures.  I always think of  Ladybird Johnson when I see those bluebonnets and Indian paintbrushes. 

Dolly Dimples

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 02:10:57 PM »
  Hi Wynter.           Living here in the UK, where we are having a bad Winter, give me the Summer time, always! .   I have hardly been out since Christmas as I feel the cold so badly, and being told by the Doc that when one is cold one picks up infections more easily than when one is warm,  for me that says it all.   Roll on Springtime!
              Of course only you know just what is most important  to you in deciding which way to head!

Which ever you choose I wish you good luck and happiness, and keep in touch.  Dolly

Collie

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 05:59:55 PM »
Hey,

I moved from the north east to Colorado about 10 years ago; and it has made a huge difference in how I feel. Although I have had some spells, I have not had a severe spell since I moved, i think it is because the weather is warmer. (people think Colorado is cold, only the mts get really cold with alot of snow) Any way congrats on the move.

Collie

eyeamdry

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 10:16:57 PM »
Leaving on Feb. 13th, a Friday no less, from Michigan to Fla for a hopefully lengthy stay.  We're thinking a month.  Last year, I was too sick and afraid of leaving my doctors.  I've been freezing since Dec. 1st--non-stop.  At noon today, it was 1 degree windchill.  I don't care if Fla is cold right now, or when we're there, it won't have snow banks all over.  They are now beginning to be black and rather disgusting looking.  Lucy

Dotty

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 04:33:26 AM »
I lived "up north" for many years but the past 30 I've lived in the Dallas area. I can't speak for what the differences in climate do for SjS, since I didn't have it when I lived in NJ. All I know is I tolerate the heat better than the cold. But when it's 105 degrees it is HOT - with or without humidity. It just saps every bit of your strength. Last year we had 30+ days over 100 and that's a bugger!! If you can make it through June, July, August and September then it's smooth sailing. Good luck. BTW, I am a nurse and the job market down here is very good for nurses.

quiger

• Sjogrens Staff
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 04:01:02 PM »
Hey Lucy,

Looks like our cold snap is coming to an end so the weather should be nice while you are here. :)

quig
Check out the info on the home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html

Wynter

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2009, 10:58:00 AM »
Thanks for all the information. My parents have a friend (she's the mother of a girl I went to high school with) that has Sjogrens' and Fibromylagia. She lives in Dallas area and is relocating to my part of the country (West Virginia). She's not happy about leaving the docs in Dallas, as I told her there is not much to choose from in WV.