Author Topic: Your first Sjogren's symptoms  (Read 7816 times)

Annj5

• Reasonably Well
Re: Your first Sjogren's symptoms
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2008, 11:28:13 AM »
Hi Clementine,

Good thread.

My first symptom was a marked decrease in my sense of smell and taste. Next came fatigue and enlarged parotids. Everything seemed to happen relatively quickly - I don't remember having any symptoms when I was in my 20's or 30's.

SeaBreeze

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2008, 12:15:35 PM »
My first symptom was a very dry itchy right eye, I had to go to a 24 hour pharmacy at 3am to get drops, which didn't help. Within a week of that, the a horrendous nauseating fatigue set in ...

Epson

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2008, 12:19:51 PM »
Sore and stiff joints, it took at least 45 minutes to get out of bed and get dressed, then when the bones in my foot were popping in and out of place I went to my Podiatrist, who sent me to a Rheumatologist thinking that I RA.

BadSeed

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2008, 01:48:53 PM »
Fall of 2002, my contact lenses started bugging me a bit -- felt gritty if I didn't use a lot of rewetting drops -- and I developed tendinitis in first the right shoulder, then the left -- quickly followed by tendinitis in both knees.  In early spring 2003, I woke up one day with wretched tendinitis in my feet & ankles, and by summer my hands & wrists joined in. I had to stop wearing the contacts by very early 2003 because my eyes had gotten too dry.

I had plenty of fatigue, too, but aside from noticing that it was getting worse -- and that my headaches had become almost daily -- it seemed like the chronic fatigue syndrome I had been diagnosed with in late 1991 was worsening again. Of course, now I wonder if it wasn't SjS all along. My eyes & mouth are dry, but not to the point of many of the folks here -- even though I'm sure it's been SjS since 2002 and until this past May I was only taking NSAIDs, I've got no corneal damage (despite failing the Schirmer test with flying, arid colors) and so far I've only got erosions, but no (new) cavities in my teeth. Of course, the mouth dryness really only kicked in maybe in the past couple of years... it was gradual, anyway.   

SjS
Plaquenil

Epson

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2008, 09:43:39 PM »
Seabreeze,

Thanks for reminding me to take my second dose of vitamin D.

eyeamdry

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2008, 10:11:06 PM »
Nine years ago next month, I had Lasik surgery.  (eye surgery)  It was supposed to be easy, painless (almost), and 99.9% successful.  About a month after, my eyes started to burn and my vision never healed.  My eyes would not heal, period.  I went across the country for the next 7 years looking for help.  There was none.  Not one of these very highly regarded ophthalmologists ever suggested Sjogrens as a possibility.  It was in the back of my mind after awhile.  About four years after the eye surgery, I began to have numb lips!  and numbness around my knees.  I had a partial knee replacement and was having all over joint problems. 

I was having carpal tunnel surgery on one hand and just before this, I was reading about carpal tunnel surgery.  Along the side of the article was a list of 10 signs of Sjogrens.  BINGO.  I had 9 of the 10 and was sure right then that I had Sjogrens.  Within a year, I'd finally got to the right doctors and tested positive and have Primary Sjogrens.  Looking back, I can think of things back in my 30's and 40's and even younger that could have been "this."  Lucy

Collie

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2008, 10:36:44 PM »
It is hard to say because i continued to be ill after having mono and the human parvol virus. My skin was dry that the nurse bent the needle when she tried to give me a shot in the arm. and my white count has been low for over ten years. recently I started with the dry eyes and dry mouth.

Collie

fluffiebunnie

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2008, 12:23:10 AM »
Not officially diagnosed yet.. but my first symptom was swollen salivary glands (doctors diagnosed mumps).... it literally all started overnight for me.

beverley

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2008, 03:39:59 AM »
The symptom that drove me to find out what was wrong was eyes that were really dry, gritty and bloodshot to the point that my children in class thought my eyes were bleeding, but with hindsight I now realize I had had sjs long before that as my mouth would shred inside at night and I have always had mild fatigue and thought I was lazy.  Also had a bout of swollen knees which I put down to riding and karate at the time but now realize was probably related to arthritis.

Beverley

lesleyjoy

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2008, 03:54:41 AM »
This is a hard one as I've had autoimmune stuff going on for 25+ years (I'm 52 now) and have had so many different symptoms  ::) which were diagnosed as CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome). My bloodwork is negative and always has been, but I may have had Sjogrens all along  :-\

My eyes started to get drier about 5 years ago...so I guess that may be the first dryness symptom.

Lesley (New Zealand)