Author Topic: Your first Sjogren's symptoms  (Read 7814 times)

clementine

Your first Sjogren's symptoms
« on: December 04, 2008, 03:23:40 PM »
Hello,

I am curious, what were your first symptoms?   My first symptom that I was aware of was red eyes, then they became dry.
However, I have that other AI disease, so I always blamed everything on it.  I have had a lot of dental problems the last few years too.
Thanks.

sandie_beach

Re: Your first Sjogren's symptoms
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 03:50:29 PM »
hmmm,my first symptoms were I was nauseus all the time,and extremely fatigued. Of course I blamed it on arthritis and all the pain. I was like this for 2 years before I went to the Dr.

SueAnn

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 03:57:07 PM »
This is a hard one to answer for me, but it would be the fact that I had burning eyes two summers ago.  Then in May of this year severe joint pain sent me to the doctor for relief.  It was there that I was told I might have RA according to my blood tests.  I was referred to my Rheumy and he said SJS.  After educating my self about SJS, I realize that I have been suffering from fatigue for some time and those muscles I thought I pulled might have been part of SJS.  I didn't even know I didn't produce saliva until I was given Evoxac to try. ???  I was just thinking about all this the other day, so I am glad you asked the question.

Sue Ann
Sjs
LDN, Plaquenil, Evoxac, Prednisone, Restasis..
Vit B complex, calcium, Vit D
Female - 50ish

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 04:33:43 PM »
Hi  :)

I think my very first AI symptoms was a severe headache, burning scalp and then a swelling that moved slowly down my face leaving me with low level fever for about 3 months and a lot of fatigue.
When the fever went the next symptoms were repeat episodes of 'tennis elbow'

Dryness crept up slowly many years later.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 05:26:12 PM »
No tears, dry eyes and red, painful skin around them.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

DesignerS

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 05:58:19 PM »
A bitter, salty, and metallic taste in my mouth.  Lost all taste of food, and loss of smell.  Also joint pain and fevers.  Thats when I decided to go to my Rheum doctor.

Designer

sandie_beach

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 06:15:36 PM »
This is all very interesting.

Patze

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 02:55:28 AM »
Hi Clementine,

The first symptoms?  The exhaustion was unremitting, brain fog, the eyes where so dry that I could barely see with my prescription glasses on, and the muscle pain.  But remember that my thyroid was slowing down at that time too (I also had a goiter that was pressing on my throat), so I can't say which symptom goes with what ever is running around the body these days.

Take care -

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

Chana M

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 08:44:17 AM »
Hi Clementine

The first symptom that started me on this current journey was a numb toe.  Just that!  Next to tiniest toe on my right foot.  I mentioned it to my GP 3 years ago and he replied 'when did that tremor start in your hand?'.  I didn't know I had a tremor!  Two months later I was at the neurologist and he diagnosed MS - Primary Progressive - within minutes, he told my GP, of seeing me. 

My symptoms were all neurological and my walking, use of my arms and speech gradually declined.  It was only when tests didn't confirm PPMS that the rheumy was brought in.  He diagnosed SjS with the Schirmer's test and then blood tests.

Looking back I've had years of SjS symptoms but always ascribed them to the exhaustion of having three children/endometriosis/heart problems/trying to fit too much into a day.

This is a really interesting thread.  Thanks for starting it.

Chana x

Nathan

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 09:14:48 AM »
My first symptom that got me in to a doctor was my eyes would start hurting at the most random times. It took me a while to realize that I was photophobic. My eyes hurt the worst at work (in a room full of the brightest florescent lights ever), but it was mainly my right eye. I went to an optho, and after about the third visit, he asked me if I had any joint pain. Sure enough, not two days earlier I started having joint pains, so off I went to a rheumy.

Chico

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2008, 09:26:55 AM »
Clementine,

Guess I'll always think of my first Sjogrens symptoms as my burning mouth and sores, as these became the diagnostic ones. This was a huge insight, my whole life of other rather odd but serious complaints came together and the fit was like a glove.

Now sifting through the ages to try to figure when it all began. Arthritis in my 30's? Over drinking water constantly as early as 10?  

Chico

Wynter

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2008, 10:33:09 AM »
Looking back, I know my first symptoms were carrying around a bottle of water or always having to have something to drink for the past 5 years. In February, I noticed my eyes were dry in the morning when I would wake up. I also noticed that spicy foods and regular toothpaste bothered my taste buds. On March 2nd, I woke up with blood shot eyes. On March 28, I saw the eye doc and kept complaining that my eyes hurt and were dry after many rounds of antibioitics. It was on that same day, my mouth went dry.He asked my if my mouth was dry and did the eyes tests. He said you probably have Sjogren's. He was correct!

MusicGuy

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2008, 10:55:36 AM »
My first symptom was dry/burning eyes as a teenager.  i never gave it a second thought, never worried of it, just thought it was norma.  My second major symptoms happened 7 years ago with incredible itching and lots of recurrent mouth ulcers and some joint pain.  a few years later, after a blood clot and thyroid tumor,  i pressed further with my doc and after looking at my issues, over time, and lol....he asked about my eyes and if my mouth was dry.... ding, the bell went off.  off i went to the rhemotologist.  life isn't simpler, but I know what's going on.

Dave

JannaLee

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2008, 11:04:10 AM »
I guess, waaaaayyyy back it was dry eye and light sensitivity.

I was in my early teens.

ohiolady

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2008, 11:18:35 AM »
Two years ago, I literally woke one day with severe dry eyes and mouth.  Looking and back and trying not to think too much about it, I wonder if it began earlier.  My whole adulthood life, I always had a glass of tea in my hand.  I think my eyes became dry sooner than I realized.  I didn't know that tearing was a sign of dry eye and would have that periodically.

Anna
SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 62