Author Topic: Young Yins. Age 25-35?  (Read 9217 times)

lady nova

Re: Young Yins. Age 25-35?
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2008, 08:31:31 PM »
Hey SilberKatze,

I have heard of that webpage. I liked the spoon analogy. If anyone doesn't know it, here it is in brief. This woman that started the website needed a way to explain her lupus to a friend. They were out a a diner, and she picked up I forget how many spoons. Anyway, she explained that she has to choose carefully what she does during the day. Like say getting dressed in the morning, that would take away a spoon or two. and if she had say 5 spoons, that would be she would have 3 left so she had to chose her activities very carefully. As each spoon was taken away, it mean less energy you have to do things. Once all the spoons are gone it means you have no energy to do those things, and the things you did do, you are suffering the consequences of having done them because it is painful to do those activities. It is a great analogy.

All Best,

Lady Nova :)

Lowell

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2008, 11:24:52 PM »
Hey there,

I'm 22 (almost 23) and totally understand how hard it is to be young and sick. I got sick back in January and when I got married this June I was sick on my wedding day and on my honeymoon- which sucked but I made the best of it. I was still undiagnosed in June (I wasn't diagnosed till August) so the plaquenil helps some now.

Looking forward to talking to everyone!

Lowell

lady nova

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2008, 06:30:29 AM »
Hey Lowell,

How is your hubby taking it? Is he supportive? I'm still young and single, and I find it is difficult for people to understand because I don't look sick, and I get so sick of explaining to people that I'm not making this up. I'm glad the Plaquenil is helping you. I think that was the big thing to help my fatigue.

All Best,

Lowell

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2008, 01:41:14 PM »
Hey lady nova,

My husband has been really great about all of this. I'm really lucky that he is so supportive. I had to stop working in March (because of the fevers and fatigue- which I still have) and even then he was great and told me to just focus on getting better. I think it's hard for him to watch me be so sick and not be able to do anything.
I understand what you mean about not looking sick and people not understanding what's going on. Without makeup, I do look sick though- I have really really dark circles under my eyes and my skin is pale. What I find especially hard is explaining how I feel to people who don't see me everyday, like friends from out of town. On Saturday my husband and I were invited to a Halloween party my friend from college was having and it took a lot of effort on my part to get all dressed up and go out, but I was determined to go and have fun. I got there and there were people at the party I hadn't seen in a while and they came up and asked me how I was doing and how life was going and I didn't even know how to answer them. I didn't want to bore/burden them with my whole story, or tell them I was sick. I did tell this one person I'm friendly with that I has SS/Lupus but she didn't know what they were and it was really awkward trying to explain it in the middle of this party. So the rest of the night I just said I was fine. Even my friends who I see on a regular basis don't really get it- they sort of think I have the flu or I'm just really tired. I don't blame my friends though- I mean how can anyone really understand what we go through except us (and possibly some people really close to us). But it still is really hard.

All the best,
Lowell

Maremma

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2008, 06:08:15 PM »
It really is a good idea for the people of the same age group to support each other. I was in your shoes and had to walk it alone. I was very ill in my teen years and it just got worse and worse on the inside all the while the outside just "looked so good". My heart breaks for every one of you. Even at the  age of 40 people are still incapable of grasping the concept that I just cannot keep up with them indefinately. I'm sure none of us "older people" have any hard feelings whatso ever.

lady nova

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2008, 08:06:32 PM »
Hey Lowell,

I know what you mean. I've just smiled and nodded to other people, I don't tell them the truth as to how horrible I would feel. I got sick at a much younger age than you did. I was 13 when it started, but I believe I've had issues with Sjogren's and another disease I have since I was very very young. The pain, and fatigue that I live with started when I was 13. So for the longest time life was not very fun for me. On a positive note, at least I got out of doing volley ball in gym class growing up. ;D  But in all seriousness, most people can't believe I'm sick. I just say I am "fine". The nice thing is that I have a close knit group of friends and they are totally coo about me being sick, and have been very supportive. Also, my family, particularly my mom has helped me a lot.

I am doing better now than I have in years, but at a price. I've gained weight from some of the meds I've been on because I was soooooooo royally depressed and everything. It has been horrible. It isn't fair. Is your hubby your age? How did you meet him? I hope you don't mind me asking. You don't have to say if you don't want to say, or you can if you want just to send me a private message. You are lucky that he cherishes you. I think in this day in age, people don't always understand what marriage means. I'm really glad we have this board for us "youngin's". Cant' wait to read more of your posts.

All Best,

SilberKatze

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2008, 10:02:19 PM »
It really is a good idea for the people of the same age group to support each other. I was in your shoes and had to walk it alone. I was very ill in my teen years and it just got worse and worse on the inside all the while the outside just "looked so good". My heart breaks for every one of you. Even at the  age of 40 people are still incapable of grasping the concept that I just cannot keep up with them indefinately. I'm sure none of us "older people" have any hard feelings whatso ever.

That reminded me of some things about when I first found out I had Sjogren's and whatnot.
At first my boss didn't understand at all, but she still kinda did. like giving me a couple months to heal and whatnot, but nowa days, I find it impossible to try to tell anyone about what I feel everyday simply because they either don't listen or don't understand. Even SS thinks I'm perfectly fine because I'm "young".  heh

lady nova

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2008, 04:47:50 AM »
Hey Everyone,

It is funny, even though I'm technically young, I feel very old. Today is my birthday, and it is making me depressed because I'm not where I would like to be in life. It reminds me of the YEARS of my life wasted being sick. Waiting for the day I would feel normal. I guess "normal" is a relative word. Like I have friends that are married, and some on pursuing the career paths of their dreams. I'm just hoping I stay feeling relatively ok... and pray that things look up for me, and everyone else on this board.

All Best,

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2008, 05:10:09 AM »
HAPPY BIRTHDAY LADY NOVA[/size]

As I do with everyone on this board, I wish for health and happiness for you.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

navydad

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2008, 12:37:57 PM »
Two years ago,, I actually felt like i was 35,,, now I feel my age plus 10 years,,, so i think i;m going to forget about my last two birthdays and go back to feeling like i am 35 again

daydreamer

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2008, 12:55:21 PM »
Way to go navydad!! That's a great perspective and attitude to have! Hey, I was griping that I recently turned 29 and fell like I'm elderly  >:(. I've told Lady Nova that maybe we could say we're 21 then maybe we'd feel like it  ;)

Lady Nova Happy Birthday! Hey at least people say you look young.....I get that a lot too  ;D....now back to about feeling young again....yeah we have to figure that one out  ???

SilberKatze

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2008, 01:50:12 PM »
Well then Happy Birthday Lady Nova. ^_^ 

lynnmarie219

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2008, 06:57:38 PM »
HAPPY BIRTHDAY LADY NOVA!!!!

I hope you had a great day!

eyeamdry

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2008, 07:28:19 PM »
Happy Birthday, Lady Nova

Lowell

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2008, 10:11:37 PM »
Happy Birthday Lady Nova!

I hope you had a great day and I wish you a year of health and happiness.  ;D

Back to your earlier post- I met my husband (before I got sick) through mutual friends about 4 years ago. We were friends for quite some time before we started dating. He's a little older than I am- 28.

Sorry to hear that you're depressed on your birthday! I know how hard it is not to be in life, where you thought you would be. I was just thinking last night of what I failure I was for not building the career I thought I would be building. But then I have to remember that I didn't stop working because I'm lazy, I stopped working because I'm sick and can't work right now with the fevers and fatigue I have. I can only focus on getting better and try not to be so hard on myself.

Happy Birthday!
Lowell