Author Topic: Young Yins. Age 25-35?  (Read 9214 times)

arabrablynn

Young Yins. Age 25-35?
« on: October 25, 2008, 09:06:19 AM »
I have actually noticed several people that are young (like me) being diagnosed with sjogren's syndrome. I thought maybe I would start a post for those of us in the 25-35 year old age range. I love support from everyone on this site but thought it would be nice to converse with people my age as well. I am 30 btw...

lady nova

Re: Young Yins. Age 25-35?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 10:24:59 AM »
Hey there,

That sounds like an awesome idea. I like that a lot. I think also being young there are things that Sjogren's does to our social lives and things that are particular with people that are supposedly young with Sjogren's. UGH!!!

Take Care,

Lady Nova :)

daydreamer

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 02:49:41 PM »
Hey there,

Yup ditto here! This community is great for support, but to have people in your own age group that can relate to your problems is especially nice. Look forward to talking to everyone. Take care and best wishes.

Kim

SilberKatze

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 07:43:24 PM »
What about someone who is 19? can she be in it too?

Nathan

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 08:39:38 PM »
Or 23? Heh.
That is a really good idea.

daydreamer

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 08:50:47 PM »
Hey guys,

Sure why not  ??? I'd say 18-35 is a good age bracket  ??? What do you think arabrablynn?

arabrablynn

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 09:01:13 PM »
Of course 18-35 is a good bracket! I didn't mean to exclude anyone. :)

Billydude

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2008, 10:51:07 PM »
Perhaps we should have one then for the older people and exclude the younger.  LOL     Support is support no matter what the age.

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008, 05:05:52 AM »
But Steve, none of us is "OLD"!

I know the "youngens" don't mean to exclude anyone...they just have more in common with each other than Sjogren's. Of course, we of more experience and expanded lives, probably discuss a lot of things outside the realm of SjS that they aren't familiar with too...like "the hippy  years" and "walking to school, 10 miles in a blizzard, uphill...both ways!"

"Kids", if you want a thread for your own interests (I'm guessing school, dating, young families...just getting your lives on track and started), I think the "Social Hour" would be a great place to start it. I think of that topic as the "over the back fence, neighbour's chat", coffee-shop atmosphere, just for hanging out.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

lady nova

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2008, 05:58:41 AM »
Perhaps we should have one then for the older people and exclude the younger.  LOL     Support is support no matter what the age.

Hey Everyone,

I'm sorry if it seems that this message board excludes others, but there is a stigma of being young and sick. A lot of people can't believe that you are young and sick... because you don't look sick. Let's put something into perspective for you guys... imagine being a young man or woman, and you are having a really bad day with your Sjogren's say with dry mouth, and you are out on a date that evening, and you can't kiss the person you are with the way you would like because of Sjogren's. Trust me, kissing with a very dry mouth is not fun. Anyway, you have to kill the moment and explain to your date or significant other why you can't do this or that... and you have to pray that they will be understanding, or that you are kicked to the curb. I will tell you this, particularly from what I have observed with my generation is that they are lacking in compassion. It is VERY rare to find someone that is compassionate. I know that there are those of you that are old with spouses that don't quite understand it... so I do feel for you guys. And not to criticize anyone that got Sjogren's later in life, but those of us that have lived with autoimmune issues for practically ALL of our lives, some of us the last time we felt well and healthy was when we were in elementary school.

And yes, there is job discrimination, I don't care how young or old you are, but when you are sick, unless you have a really cool boss that is willing to work around your health issues, you are screwed. They do not want to help sick people. There have been mornings that I have been in EXCRUCIATING pain where I could barely get out of bed in the morning, and I got into an internship I had at 10 AM, instead of say 9AM. I could NOT tell my boss that I am sick, and that the reason why I come in kinda late is because I'm in pain when I get up in the morning and need the extra time to feel like a human being. When you are a younger person and you get sick, and you are low on the food chain in the job market, you are definitely expendable... and in this job market that is just a fact of life. It is like Social Darwinism at work... Eat or get eaten!!!! I would be ROYALLY screwed right now if it weren't for my parents. But if you were to ask me roughly 10 years ago at almost age 18 if I would still need my parents support for my day to day living I would have said NO.

All Best,

lurkernomore

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2008, 06:55:31 AM »
At age 51, I strongly suspect I may have had Sjogren's since my early thirties. But my real problems did not begin and become unavoidable until a few years ago. I cannot imagine trying to take classes, work or have a social/dating life in the shape I am in right now.

So I totally understand the desire to have a place, thread, whatever, for the people who are going through these hardships to hook up and discuss what their lives must be like. And to all you young whipper-snappers (and I do mean that jokingly, not disrespectfully) I want to say that I feel very deeply for you and respect your drive and ambition to keep going with what you are dealing with.

For those in our 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's, I admire US, too. This is like a war we are waging within our own bodies and it is an every hour, day-to-day war. But we must be winning, or at least, staying ahead. Because hey, we're all still here posting, right? ;) JMHO, but I hope people will understand that it has to be daunting to be dealing with SS at such a young, tender age and the need to touch base with those who are going through the same thing must be very strong.

daydreamer

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2008, 09:46:06 AM »
Arabrablynn,

I didn't mean to imply you had wanted or meant to leave anyone out. I hope you didn't take it that way. I just feel that we do need a thread where we can talk to people within our age bracket that can relate to us on a better level. I figured 18-35 would be a good range. Thanks for starting this thread it has brought out us "youngins" so that we can converse with one another.

To the older people out there,

I'm not saying (and I don't think any of us younger people are) that you can't help us and give us support. I appreciate (as I'm sure we all do) your feedback and added wisdom. However, we do need peers that can understand our struggles with this illness being young and trying to establish our place in life.

Lady Nova,

I couldn't have said it better myself! I've been sick since I was 11 (just turned 29 last month) and never had a normal teen experience  :( I had spent most of my middle and high school years on home instruction and dealt with the ridicule of my peers. "How can she be sick, she looks fine" "She just wants attention and is trying to avoid school" etc. etc. etc.

The pain, the fatigue....I can relate to it all. Oh and yes the "she doesn't look sick" line I've even heard that now as an adult. At my job (which I unfortunately haven't been able to go to in the past month or so) I've had people tell me "no one is going to understand or believe you when you tell them you're sick because you look too good!" How aggravating!

kcoffiner

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2008, 04:13:07 PM »
Hi:

I am a young one too. Dx'd at age 26, 27 right now. I would love to chat with any youngesters my age. It is really hard dealing with this illiness especially at a young age when we have so much pressure to establish careers, meet significant others, etc. Not to say it is easy at any age, it is certaintly not, but it would be nice to chat with others who feel the same pressures I do.

Count me in.

lady nova

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2008, 07:06:38 PM »
Hey Everyone,

I second what everyone else has said too. For once, I don't feel so freaky. Like honestly, sometimes even I get sick of trying to explain how I feel to people. I mean people that don't understand. I always feel like I have to wear a badge that certifies that even though I don't look sick, I am in fact quite sick. Ok, and just to clarify, I'm  better now than I have been in recent years. But still... I'm getting a bit of a flare this weekend and it isn't fun.

All Best,

SilberKatze

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2008, 07:54:33 PM »
Has anyone heard of the Spoon story? it's on "www.butyoudontlooksick.com

I find it to be very helpful when trying to explain to people how I feel everyday. there are some Sjogren's peoples there also with others. ^_^  I go there when my dr. thinks I have something new or if I have a question. I go there to find out, since they have many people there with different types of stuff. it's neat.