Author Topic: Another infection!!!  (Read 17323 times)

Tinker

Re: Another infection!!!
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2008, 11:35:17 AM »
Wow, Irish, I totally believe in the death experiences, the light, etc.   I wish I had had an experience like that as it would have made me more relaxed and not so afraid of meds.

I didn't mention this , but last wk when I had the surgery, one of the nurse anesthetists gave me the wrong medication. I cannot take compazine....it makes me anxious and jittery.  The anesth. gave me an injection to calm me (Versed) and I was so uncomfortable that I sat straight up in bed.  He asked me how was I feeling.  I responded by saying that I felt worse!

He came back with a shot of Versed and I was very relaxed at that point.  BUT I KNOW HE GOOFED!  I know that feeling of compazine and that is exactly what he gave me the first time.

It was on my red bracelet as an allery med.  Doesn't give me much comfort to know that these kinds of mistakes are made.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2008, 10:40:17 PM »
tinker, It is possible that he gave you a med that was similar in chemical structure as the compazine. Compazine is used for nausea and it is very possible that he gave you one of those other meds instead of the compazine. Of course,if you were nauseated and vomiting the compazine could have been given.

Also, versed is sort of like a very high tech valium and causes sedation and AMNESIA!!!! You can have the procedure with versed and a pain med and you forget much of the ordeal. When our son had his knee surgery we took him home(he was 24 years) to his place and he asked over and over how the surgery went. He was sort of funny sitting in the backseat with his cap on backwards and stoned out of his gourd.

Anyway, I havae gotten so I ask the nurse what she is giving me or what she is doing. I have gotten pretty paranoid about things in my old age. Irish ;D

Tinker

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2008, 03:38:55 PM »
Hi Irish,
About the Compazine......Reglan is it's cousin and I had it listed on my bracelet as a known allergy, so it could have been one of those two.  I vividlly remember getting compazine IV while on chemo and I'm telling ya it was sooooo uncomfortable to be that jittery.

That's how I felt on this med.....it definately was not Versed.  I LOVE VERSED!  lol   Anyway, the fact that I immediately felt so much better was a tip off , too.

I had already been given the nausea med, Zofran, so I didn't need compazine. ???  I know he goofed.

Since I take Ativan, or benzodiazepine, it takes a lot of Versed for me to feel it.  So, I was awake and alert and talking to the staff in the OR until he injected the anesthetic.  This is a surgery that I remember everything about.

Once I had a bladder dilation and couldn't remember anything but my nurse.  LOL!

Sandra

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2008, 08:37:45 PM »
Hi Irish, you sure are a fighter. I am the same with all these infections. This past year i was on one or another every 2 months. Nobody has bothered to ask what is wrong til recently. I also get the thick chokey mucus thing and eventually the pain, nausea, fatigue, sweats make me think about asking Scottie to beam me up too (star trek) I have actually made piece with my maker if he decided tonight was to be the night. That sure doesn't mean i want to go though.
So what's happened lately after evry scope humanly imaginable has happened sometimes twice, the big heads have decided a low dose antibiotic for 3 months would be the next line of defence. i have such trouble with full dose antibiotics. I think i still have trouble with yeast though. Keep eating my yogart. Has a stomach scope yesterday and the dr feels that there is nothing wrong with my stomach, that it gets inflamed because of a problem down stream. I have problems with my bowel and bladder just going on hiatus, ileas is what they call it I think. So then the toxins build up, it inflames my liver and the Cirrhosis, and talk about brain fog  :o, it's caused from the toxin build up too. Try as i might no matter what food, or no food or fiber food or clear liquids whan this ileas thing happens that's it. i drink gallons of water and try exercise but it's hard because I feel like a balloon and sick. If it gets real bad there's vommiting too. Just a real fun guy to have around. But I think I have help, yep the calvary is coming as the urologist has actually asked me back for a follow up. He seen nothing in my bladder to warrant the infections and is concerned about the sharp full pain in my lower left abdomin. He even said is it your ovary? Gees i don't know but I'll talk to anybody about what it is s i am darn sure what ever it is is causing somekind of blockage at times. I am ready to do some exploritory surgery on myself!
Do you have any bowel trouble? I trully think that all the toxins that build up account for the infections, how could I not end up with one?  Sure hope things settle down allot for you and you are feeling better very soon. How is your liver function? Sandra

Tinker

« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2008, 09:39:57 PM »
Just another update. I went to my psych for my med check and had to have a mini mental status test done because I am over 60. I PASSED and was I ever relieved. I missed remembering 2 of the 5 words they give you and one other little thing but I guess my mind is still with me----most of the time.

As far as infection goes---this is really strange. Still not feeling very well and am weak and sweat and have a lot of mucus. I was up much of the night last night coughing and hacking. I am very suspicious of the mycobacterium infection being back. I have a culture growing that should be ready to read about now so hopefully I will find out when I see the doc. Otherwise I really can give him a good sputum culture now.

My insurance is going to have a fit as I have had 3 sputum cultures in three months. The acid fast sputum for the mycobacterium is sent to the National Institute for Health and I will have to look but I bet that cost plenty. It takes about 2 months for it to grow and be identified. Never a dull moment. But at least I still have some of my mind. :D  Irish ;D

Irish, how are you feeling?  Please give us an update on your health.  Sending you healing vibes and prayers to uplift you and give you strength and comfort.  ♥♥♥ Tinker

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2008, 11:09:11 PM »
tinker and sandra, I had a better day today and even scrubbed floor with a mop and shok rugs plus other stuff. EVery time I get up to do anything the sweats start full bore and I am like a wet stinky dishrag--well almost. :)

I took my last avelox today and am still on the Diflucan for another week. Haven't heard on the other sputum culture yet. I still have suspicions that I have an area in my throat that has been chronically infected for about 8 years. It makes a lump in my throat at time and after drinking lots of fluids and coughing hard al day I seem to bring up something that is reminiscent of what I considered to be  boil many years ago. The colored infection is much better but I still think it is just lying there and comes to haunt me.

I have been scoped, cat scanned, and had exploratory of nasal pharynx under anesthesia that lasted 2 hours. I have seen more ENTS and other docs than I can shake a stick at and I still swear that spot is there as it gets sore. Possibly a chronic subtle infection of a salivary gland or tissue in that area. I had such bad teeth and had so much infection and this has to be from that. Oh, I have also wondered about having a latent infection from being intubated during one of my sugeries.

It is something that really wears me out and keeps me down too much. I, too, have made peace with my maker and ready to go, but as I told my doc, I still have a will to live and some fight in me and need to be around for my grandkids. If my CD4 cells would ever get up to even 300 I think I would do better. Doc thinks it is hereditary immune deficiency and that is what throws my system off and has caused me to have all these autoimmune disease.

Can any of us help it that we were just born lucky. :P Oh, well, we just keep plugging along. Oh, the docs aren't bery keen on putting me on really long term antibiotics as with the t-cell issues when the antibiotic is done I will still get infections. Also, they have talked 6 weeks of IV antibiotic but I am allergic to so many of them that they are just coasting to see how I get along. Doc is afraid I could really have bad allergic reaction. Take care all. Irish ;D

pudmott

« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2008, 12:58:56 AM »
Irish and Sandra,

Hang in there guys. I sent an expressed email to the maker to say im holding you both for ransom. He/she cant have you yet im not ready to let you go.

Pud

Tinker

« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2008, 12:23:59 PM »
Irish, I'm so glad you had a better day. 

Just a note:  if you every get anesthetized again, ask for a LMA (laryngeal mask anesthesia)  instead of the intubation.  After you get the anesthetic, the anesthesiologist inserts a device in your palate to hold your tongue out of the way. 

When I have been anestheitized and intubated before, I have spasms in my throat when the tube is pulled.  It's rough on the throat and for me, it causes big problems.  Not to mention scary cause I can't breathe.

The only side effect of the LMA is that if the guy doesn't know what he's doing he can scratch your palate a bit.  Last week everything went well and I only had a slight scratch.

Katybarstool

« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2008, 12:51:57 PM »
Hi Irish

Sending you wonderful healing vibes.  The maker needs to know he can't have you yet - we need you too  much for that.

Kathyx

Tinker

« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2008, 05:09:36 PM »
Sandra,

I'm so sorry you are feeling so poorly.  I know about ileus!!!!!!!!!!  I got it after having a colonoscopy in April.  OMG, it was just awful.  I bloated up, could not eat anything.   DH bought Ensure and I drank that for a week. Finally saw the gastroenterologist who performed the colonoscopy and he said he thought I had IBS.  That was news to me and I'm NEVER having another colonoscopy unless I'm bleeding or have symptoms of colon cancer.

It took more than a week to fully pass.  What I had is NOTHING compared to what you are going through.  I certainly hope your urologist will find out what's wrong. 

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.  ♥♥♥ Tinker

Collie

« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2008, 06:14:38 PM »
Irish,

I am sorry to hear you are sick with another infection, being sick in a pain in the rear, literally; my butt gets mighty sore sitting on it all day doing nothing. I was also thinking one of the reasons you might not feel well is because antibiotics can cause systemic yeast infections; have you ask you doc for med to treat yeast or have you been on a no yeast diet? There is an excellent book by Dr. Crook called the Yeast Connection, he also has a cookbook with the same name. I followed the recommendations in the book when I first got sick and it made a huge difference.

Hope you feel better soon

Collie

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2008, 10:03:52 PM »
Thanks again for all the kind thoughts. I paid for working too much yesterday and was down all day in my recliner except when I went to the bathroom or got up to find food. I am gaining weight cause I am eating too much because I am stressed out from sitting around.

Also, I am on diflucan now and never really get totally rid of yeast in my mouth because of my severely low t-cells. THe yeast does get kicked up when I am on antibiotics. I am on 2 weeks worth this time and that usually does the trick. I don't get it as bad as some people do but it is enough to bug me and make me feel a little yukky.

Tomorrow will be another day and will be better cause I deem it so!!!! ;) Take care all. Love the fall weather! Irish ;D

kimbo

• Love never fails
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2008, 08:24:56 PM »
Irish,

I feel silly to give any advice to you because you are our GURU.

But is there acidophylis pills or supplements you could take to help you?

I am so enjoying this fall weather.  We moved my daughter and husband into their first home this past week end, the weather was perfect for it.

When they set up their trampoline , I climbed up on it with Elroy, my pup and took a nap under a cloudless blue sky.

Sunshine on you Irish  :),
kimbo
Diagnosed March of 2007. SJS/ RA Positive at 80  International-SSA strongly positive at 811-SSB 273
ANA positive at 1:1280
Hashimoto's
Gabapentin, propanol, Celebrex, Synthroid, Cytomel, vitamin D, B complex, Omega 3 complex, and multi vitamins; At 62, I seem to be a low maintenance sjog

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2008, 10:06:27 PM »
Just another update. I had another sputum culture done while I was on antibiotics and they are in the process of getting the final report. I asked the doc today while at clinic with hubby and he copies the preliminary reports for me.

I have a gram negative bacteria that is growing for culture and sensitivity and I just finished Avelox which didn't cover it. Plus, I have one more pill of Diflucan left in my 2 week series and I am growing more yeast than when I was put on it.

This is getting to be the pits. I know that this started in July or got worse in July and has just been picking at me all this time. I feel like a truck ran over me plus the mucus issues and sort trachea and throat from hacking. Woe is me!!! Oh well, I see pulmonary on Tuesday and also have infusion on Tuesday.

I have yogurt everyday and do the pills on occasion. The problem with me is that with my immune system I can make myself worse with the pills. Get too much and have an overgrowth of the good bacteria.!!!!Irish ;D

Katybarstool

« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2008, 10:32:29 AM »
Irish

Sounds as if your damned if you do and damned if you dont.

I hope you feel better on Tuesday after the infusion.

God bless.
Kathyx