Author Topic: Another infection!!!  (Read 17296 times)

irish

• Global Moderator
Another infection!!!
« on: October 07, 2008, 10:36:52 PM »
Well gang, I have not kept you updated on my infections but I have continued to have them. I was on antibiotic earlier in the year but can't remember that far back. I do know that I had antibiotic in May for Culture of staph from my sputum. I had a really gross sinus infection in July and was on Biaxin. I just never felt really very well but just thought it was from the horrible heat and humidity and being overtired from company.

Anyway, the past month I thought I had yeast coming off and on and had a weird raw throat and increased mucus. Well about 1 1/2 weeks ago it got worse and I just put off going to the doc cause I knew I had my infusion the 1st of Oct and would take a sputum spec along. I ended up in urgent care on Friday the 3rd and talked with my immunologist on Saturday. Today I got a call telling me that I had Klebisella which is another one of those rotten infections that can serious and sort of hang around hospitals etc. Having the low immune system makes me very vulnerable. I am on Cipro and hope that it works.

I was really sick with this one as far as the mucus goes as it went into my throat so much that I felt like I couldn't swollow at times plus it also is in my bronchioles plus my salivary glands. Sooo, I am discouraged tonight as I have been sitting around since last week unable to do anything much. A load of clothes here and there and cook, but that is about it. The bad thing about this is that my hinder is getting fatter all the time. Also, I miss working outside on these nice fall days and I miss being up and about and cleaning house on these cool, rainy, fall days. Fall is my favorite time of the year.

The good thing is that my iimmune system is working some and I know that the infusions help as I don't seem to usually get as sick when the infections come. The hard thing is to get to the doctor without delay as per my immunologist. I have a tendency to downplay my symptoms and wait too long before I go to the doc.Not a very bright thing to do but hope springs eternal and I always think that I will get better.

Also, these doctors just can drive a person crazy. I got a new  PCP about 1 1/2 years ago and I am not happy with him. I think he is dumb. It didn't take me long to come to this conclusion but I kept giving him another chance. He really has been ticking me off though. He insisted that he knew about Sjogrens and understood the t cell deficiency etc. He is good about doing the blood work etc when I call and tell him that my Immunologist wants such and such done. But, this last May when I had the MRSA(few bacteria) on culture he wasn't going to treat me as he says that is not uncommon. I told hiim that I did not feel good and finally got a script. He treated me for 2 weeks and my Immunologist told me later that I should have been treated for 3 weeks.

In August I had another culture and awaited results and finally got a letter telling me that culture was negative. When I went in for a visit he proceeded to tell me that I grew out MRSA again. My immunologist was not happy. The other thing that really takes the cake is that he has never felt of my salivary glands and didn't talked himself out of doing a breast exam on me before he did a mammogram. He just is lazy. Thankfully, I do have another doc in my own town who consented to take me and he is really nice and is a good doc. Problem is if I have to be hospitalized I will have to go back to the bigger clinic as I will have to be near my neurologist so she can watch my Myasthenia gravis.

There, that is my story. So, I did not get anything accomplished this summer except go to the doctor and have company for 5 weeks. Also, my hubby is having issues with his blood pressure and his atrial fib and that is more docs appt. Heck, I think we should all get a job doing light cleaning in the doctors waiting room. Take care all. Irish

Reenie

Re: Another infection!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 11:46:11 PM »
Irish.

I'm so sorry to hear that your battles with infections continue.  I will hope and pray that the Cipro knocks those bugs on their behinds!!

I'm glad to hear that you are going to get a new PCP, and I will cross my fingers that he will be a keeper. Your last one is sooooo fired!  You deserve the best care that is available, and the prior PCP doesn't seem to fit that bill.

You will be in my thoughts and prayers. 

Big hugs to you,
Reenie

Patze

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 04:20:19 AM »
Hi Irish,

I'm so sorry that you're sick again, I sure hope that the Cipro knocks the Klebisella on it's little ol' butt! ;)  Girl, you sure are due for a major break - whew, I don't think I could go through what you have and still be so cheerful as you are (I'd be drooling and biting the closest doctor to be sure! ;)).

What is up with this doctor?  Maybe being around sick people has finally fried his brains!  Dang.  Can your Immunologist recommend a new PCP?  You're right, this one sure sounds like a dud!

Company for 5 weeks?  Wow, and you survived without killing someone too! :D  You're good!

I sure hope that the doctors can help your hubby so he also starts to feel better soon.

Please take care, hang in there and keep us updated.

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

pudmott

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 04:35:23 AM »
Hey Irish,
I'm really sorry to hear that you're feeling so low. Klebsiella is a nasty bugger. I hope the AB's knock it down. I can understand you feeling down. I was that way until this last week when i finally seem to be feeling human again for the first time since JUly.

I will keep my fingers crossed that this is last last little germy you get for a bit and the body cuts you some slack. Can you get a chair out in the sunshine and enjoy the fresh air a bit? I hope so.

I will also send out some vibes for your husband and hope the get the AF sorted. Is he on Coumadin?

Take care my friend and keep us posted. There is light at the end of the tunnel

Pud

JannaLee

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 06:09:39 AM »
Honey,

First off, you are not alone in the "hinder" department.  I've got a growing one myself.  It's truly amazes me that the body can be under such debilitating assault from disease and pathogen...too weak to stand....and somehow the fanny thrives!  Why not my hair?!

If I had a magic wand, I would send it to kill the bugs living in you and to refresh your energies!

Try to look out the window at the lovely Fall colors.  If you can't go out in it, at least you can look at it.

My best to you sweet Irish.
Janna

« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 06:16:06 AM by JannaLee »

Pooh

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 07:30:26 AM »
Hello dear friend,
I knew when I didn't hear from you for a while something was going on.  Well, same here.  I truly hope this ab does the trick and you start feeling a lot better. 

Take care Irish and I sure pray those meds kill this bug off and you have some good days ahead.

Hugs and God Bless,
Pooh 

genko_b

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 08:01:27 AM »
Hi Irish:

Sorry you have been hit with the bugs again. Rest is really what you need at this point.

Autumn is beautiful, isn't it? The color of the leaves, the excitement of fall crops, and the crisp, cool air. Janna is right - park yourself by a window and enjoy it.

Genko

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 08:25:27 PM »
Thanks for the repllies!!! I called the immunology clinic today again as I was feeling worse than yesterday and think that the cipro is not knocking the bugger down. They changed me to Avelox. My insurance didn't pay for it but I really had no choice but to take this more expensive med. I think I have been harboring this bug for a long time and hopefully it will get knocked down.

Man, I really hate it when I just sit on my hinder. Don't care a fig if I even get up out of the chair and yet can't stand sitting. And besides that THERE IS NOTHING ON TV EXCEPT POLITICS AND WALL STREET. I think someone should ship all the politicians and financiers to a desert island and maybe life would make more sense. Irish ;D

lynnmarie219

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 09:09:25 PM »
Awwwww Irish...I'm sorry that you keep having to deal with these darn infections. I was hoping that those days were behind you for a while! Please try to rest and I hope you feel better soon!

JannaLee

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 12:24:04 PM »
I'm with you Irish.  Either a desert island for them or me.

My husband just had back surgery 2 weeks ago and at his "1 week" check up he told the surgeon the pain meds and muscle relaxers were making him anxious....to which the doctor replied "Are you watching the news all day on TV?  It's not the drugs making you anxious."

pudmott

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 03:00:13 PM »
Janna
I love that doctor!!!! Its true its all we are hearing about even all the way over here US politics and wall street. IM so glad i spend a good chunk of my hard earned pay on cable tv. At least there's entertaining mindless drivel on there as opposed to depressing mindless drivel on free tv.

Irish,
Just think your hinder wont get cold this winter. I hope the new AB's knock the sucker down. It might be a good time to invest in some DVD's. Take it easy buddy. Look after yourself.

Pud

Dolly Dimples

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 03:41:17 PM »
  Carry on the good fight dear Irish, you are true grit!  Dolly

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 08:59:00 PM »
Thanks again to all for the good wishes.

Janna, That doctor sure had his head on to come back with that remark to your hubby. Doc is right, watching the TV all day can make you anxious and depressed. However, I am one of those people who try to stay tuned for all the political "drival" so I know what is going on. It is really, really, really hard to keep up this year.Irish ;D

JannaLee

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2008, 06:50:42 AM »
We do too for the same reasons.

Sooo much drivel and biased reporting!

beverley

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2008, 07:03:42 AM »
Irish,

You are always there for everybody else, now it's our turn.  Hope both you and your hubby start to feel better soon.  I will be thinking of you.
Beverley