Author Topic: GOOD visit with my internist ........  (Read 1460 times)

Joojie

GOOD visit with my internist ........
« on: September 19, 2008, 10:52:18 AM »
Saw my internist yesterday .... he took one look at me and said "this is autoimmune".

He knows about the burning mouth, throat, eyes, and yup bottom.

But then he REALLY checked my ribcage - something my rheumy, for 2-1/2 years has refused to do - and he checked certain areas ...... I screamed.  Then he checked my SI joints - I yelped ...... achilles tendons - I yelped.  Top of pubic bone - I yelped .... and my "sit" bones (can't remember all the names of those little bones) - I just yelped.  He became VERY angry - "Hasn't your rheumy checked ANY of this ??"  He asked me to bend backwards from the waist -  I can't. He just stared at me.
He was amazed that I can't raise my arms past neck level - they just stop.  My ribcage and thoracic spine, as well as SI joints,  are , he feels, entirely filled with inflammation, and we need to find out WHY.

Soooooooooooooo - complete ANA panel, HLA-B27, Sjogren's anitbodies, thyroid studies, - and I have to have a complete body bone scan this coming Tues. to see about areas of inflammation.

He is seriously considering something in the AS family ....... along with possible Sjogren's.  Also said if the bloodwork is negative for Sjogren's we'll do a lip biopsy, that the ENT in the clinic is VERY good - and has done them a lot - with good outcomes.

He HONESTLY seemed to know MORE than my rheumy ...... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr  >:(

I was thrilled that finally someone LISTENED to me ....... but now it is the wait and worry.  I know, don't worry - easier said than done.  I have NO idea how I am going to just lie there for that bone scan - soft pillows hurt my spine - yikes !!!

Thanks for listening all ......... Nancy

Pooh

Re: GOOD visit with my internist ........
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 10:58:18 AM »
WooHoo!!! Nancy!  Doesn't it make you feel good just knowing there is a doctor that cares.  I am so happy for you.  Not that you are hurting, but that you have someone to work with you. 

Please let us know how things progress.  It sounds like you have hit on the fast track to discovery. 

Good Luck,

Pooh

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 01:09:52 PM »
Hi Nancy  :)

Sounds like you've hit the jackpot! Hang on to that one!

My rheumy has never checked me out that thoroughly.

I hope you find what's going on soon and get the inflammation under control.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

lynnmarie219

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 04:45:38 PM »
Hi Nancy!

Thats great that your doc listened to you, examined you, and then ordered the right tests to start getting some answers for your questions....and he has a plan on where to go after this part is done! He is a keeper!

As far as the bone scan....I had one done and it really doesn't take that long to finish the test. My back always hurts on those darn cold hard tables too but they have always helped me to lay down and get comfortable and when it's over thats when I get stuck....my back gets so stiff....I really need help and I have always received it and was given the time I need to adjust my body.....they are used to that I think! Those hard tables make me feel like I'm 98 years old instead of 48!

Good luck to you and let us know what you find out! I hope you get some answers soon so you can treat your pain and  symptoms!