Author Topic: How to handle 1st visit to neuro  (Read 2307 times)

allium

How to handle 1st visit to neuro
« on: September 19, 2008, 03:52:21 PM »
Hi everyone. Didn't know if this could be the right section for this, but I thought it would be a subject many of you have had experience in.

I received another unexpected cancellation call, and the appointment I was to have with a neurologist at the end of this month has been moved up to next Monday.  I have just seen a rheum for the first time a few days ago, with no results from any bloodwork yet.

I'm so worried about that what I need to do regarding this will ultimately impact my care.  I don't know if I will have to be the one again to provide every bit of info (as with the rheum), and don't want to mess it up. 

Is there a good way to start getting my head in order and ducks in a row?  I feel so fried, and the gruesome headache is back with a vengeance today. 

I wonder too what are the good and bad things to look out for in this visit (regarding the doctor, what he says and does, etc).  I have not had any imaging tests done yet aside for a CT head and sinus scan 16 months ago; do they always order an MRI initially? I don't know if they zero in on MS right away, or are more vague at first. 

Thanks for sharing your expertise...hard won too, I know.
Sheila

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
Re: How to handle 1st visit to neuro
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 04:55:11 PM »
 Hi Sheila  :)

My advice would be to write things down. Jot down symptoms, duration of symptoms and also questions you have for the neuro. Jot down medications being taken at present and also any supplements you take.

I get to see a neuro next month and that's the sort of thing that I'll do to prepare for an appointment.

I'm glad you got a cancellation.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

genko_b

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 05:25:58 PM »
Hi Sheila:

That's great you are getting in sooner than you thought.

Don't worry if the neuro asks you to repeat information that you have written down on the initial forms or that you believe your other docs should have given them. Better to repeat things than not to have them included in the picture. Even docs I see regularly ask me to repeat each time what meds I am taking, which docs I've seen, what I heard them say to me. Sometimes they don't get the full report from the referring doc.

List every single symptom you are having, with a timeframe if possible, including if certain events seem to trigger certain symptoms. Let he doctor sort out whether or not they are neurological in nature - just list everything. Make sure you have all of your questions written down as well as all your meds and what they are for. It doesn't hurt to make a second copy of your lists to give to the doctor for your files.

If the doctor says something you do not understand, ask him/her to explain again, and take notes. They take you more seriously if you write things down in front of them.

Good luck to you Hopefully they will be able to help you find some answers.

Genko

allium

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 05:43:34 PM »
Hello Scottie  8)

I guess I have a couple of days to start on the lists, and finally get to type up my pill list.
I think start with an outline of sorts for the symptoms, then organize it into a report of sorts.

I hope they take more than a minute to look at anything forwarded to them ahead of time, but I'm finding that kind of doctor is rare to come across.  I did call the office again yesterday, and I believe that might have made an impression that stuff wasn't going so well.

Hope your visit is no "damp squib" either ;D !

A new symptom/problem started today (besides the headache return).  A lot of tenderness at the top of my spine (and base of my neck).  Just keeps getting stranger.

Genko, I need to set up a time frame for doing things; I tend to procrastinate and being fuzzy in the head doesn't help.
Have to get it together, my life depends on it.
Your time and kindness is appreciated.... :)
Sheila

salsen

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 08:52:35 PM »
All the advise is wonderful especially about your meds.  Remember to include all OTC and vit/herb supplements you maybe taking.  Mention all symptoms you are having which are not normal for you.

Do not be alarmed by the test they may run.  Initially I had an MRI on my head and spinal column along with three types of nerve conduction test.  They also did the standard balance and nerve reaction test with a pin point.  Lots of test but all in the course of narrowing the field.  It is not necessarily an indicator of a diagnosis.  I have seen my doctor for over six years now and he usually re-runs the test about every two years to see if anything has changed if there are no overt signs. 

Good luck and have patience.  Sometimes neuro problems can take a awhile to narrow down.