Author Topic: accupuncture safe now? ever?  (Read 1897 times)

kathylee

accupuncture safe now? ever?
« on: July 30, 2008, 06:28:23 PM »
Hey Folks
I have been recieving accupuncture from a licensed Doctor who is also a family practicioner in my city for many, many years. I' like to go for a treatment but am unsure since a simple shower put me in the hospital with the myasthenic crisis.   So any of you do accupuncture? I get a destress treatment..not for anything else. Also want a massage but unsure of safety of that. Just  had my first crisis on 7-3 so feeling pretty guarded.

Thanks

Kathylee

eyeamdry

Re: accupuncture safe now? ever?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 09:21:21 PM »
Kathylee, that's something that maybe no one can answer for you because it would almost take a doctor to advise you.  I don't know anything about MG.   I've done both acupuncture and massages.   Acupuncture actually breaks the skin, so I'd guess that is one thing that could (notice-could) be problematic.  If gentle pressure was used with massage, I'd think that might be less problematic. 

When I was really, really sick with Sjogrens (before and after diagnosis) I'd go for massages once a week or whatever I could afford.  It was the only thing that I could do that might make me feel better.  I was barely able to get off the couch or drive at times.  I've been past that for some time.  Maybe asking your doctor, or at the very least a gentle massage?
Maybe someone with more knowledge of MG will post.  Lucy

Pooh

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 10:22:37 PM »
Kathylee,
I will have to agree with Lucy.  Asking your doctor would be the best.  If it were me, I would.  Just to be really safe and for the ease of mind in doing it. 

Hugs, Pooh

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 04:24:43 AM »
I agree that if you are concerned, especially after your last episode, see your doctor. I would like to suggest that 1) you look at doing any massage yourself first and be gentle. 2) Think about hand reflexology or working with Chinese balls. 3) The most gentle of all that I can think of is Reiki 4) I would also ask about Craniosacral therapy.

Massage can be very intense or very gentle depending on the type that is being done and the person doing the massage. The Dr that has been giving you acupuncture would be a good person to talk to also.

You may consider breathing exercises and meditation. There are more types of breathing exercises than just Lamaze. It always surprises me how many women think that breathing exercises can not help.

I hope that you find something that helps you soon.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism