Author Topic: Myathenia G. and its gonna be 90 degrees-Advise how to be safe  (Read 2019 times)

kathylee

Friends,
I am dryer than usual cause of a drug reaction so my only good eye, the Right is intensly bluury even at this late hour. CAn you give me some tips on staying safe with this level of heat. Too hot a shower put me in the hospital 7-3 and I sure as heck dont wanna end up back there. I tried doing some searches but...gosh I just cant see......If there is a website tthat has info I take that too.
Kathylee

irish

• Global Moderator
Re: Myathenia G. and its gonna be 90 degrees-Advise how to be safe
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 09:16:11 PM »
KATHYLEE, I CAN SURE SYMPATHIZE WITH YOU. I SUFFER TERRIBLY FROM THE HEAT AND IF I GO OUTSIDE I FEEL LIKE I AM JUST SHRINKING DOWN INTO THE GROUND AS THE WEAKNESS COMES ON SLOWLY.

THE ONLY THING THAT I CAN TELL YOU IS TO STAY INSIDE WITH AIR CONDITIONING WHEN IT IS LIKE THIS. I CAN'T TAKE EVEN BEING IN THE SHADE ON THESE DAYS. PLUS IF IT IS HOT AND WINDY I JUST FEEL LIKE SOMEONE IS DRAINING THE LIFEBLOOD OUT OF ME. I HAVE HAD TIMES WHEN I HAVE BEEN AT SOMEONE CABIN AT THE LAKE AND KEPT ALL THE CLOTHES ON ETC TO AVOID THE SUN. WHEN I GOT HOME I ENDED UP IN THE RECLINER MOANING BECAUSE I WAS SO EXHAUSTED AND MY BREATHING WAS BEING SLIGHTLY AFFECTED.

I JUST DRANK LOTS OF ICE WATER TO HELP ME COOL OFF AND TOOK MESTINON AND LAID AS STILL AND QUIET AS I COULD FOR SEVERAL HOURS. IT CAN BE SCARY. WITH YOUR EPISODE WITH A HOT SHOWER I WOULD THINK THAT SEVERAL LUKEWARM SHOWERS A DAY WOULD HELP KEEP YOUR BODY TEMP DOWN SO THAT YOU DON'T OVERHEAT.

ALSO, YEARS AGO I DISCOVERED WHEN I WAS DOING NURSING THAT IF I WET A WASHCLOTH WITH COLD WATER AND LAID IT AROUND THE BACK OF MY NECK IT HELPED KEEP ME COOLER AND I FELT BETTER. WHEN THE RAG WARMED UP I WOULD TURN IT OVER AND WHEN I HAD TIME I WOULD REWET IT WITH COLD WATER. I NEED TO TRY THT TOMORROW AS IT HAS BEEN TERRIBLE THE LAST 2 DAYS. JUST LAY LOW AND DON'T DO ANYTHING STRESSFUL. DON'T EVEN TRY TO DO TOO MUCH MENTAL WORK AS THAT IS STRESSFUL ALSO. GOOD LUCK. IRISH ;D

kathylee

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 08:18:55 AM »
Irish,
 Just what I needed..You are one of my best resources. I did try the cool wash cloth over the weekend. Its even hot inside cause I live on the second floor (my new apartment). Yesterday it was 84 degrees INSIDE here! The shower is a good idea. Also did you know they sell a scarf like thing on QVC (TV shopping channel) that has a insert in it that cool you off. I think it is like a freezer pack insert. You just tie it around your neck...I'm gonna see if I can find one ASAP.
Thank again
Kathylee
PS..seeing the eye doc about my cataract surgery tomorrow...Yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pooh

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 11:32:54 AM »
Good luck at the eye doctor's tomorrow.  Let us know what you find out. 

Hugs, Pooh