Author Topic: Monitoring for other Autoimmune Diseases?  (Read 3035 times)

Nancy60

Monitoring for other Autoimmune Diseases?
« on: July 25, 2008, 04:20:20 PM »
I am just curious.  Are others here still periodically tested for other autoimmune diseases like lupus, RA etc...  My doctor runs a Lupus panel and RF about every 6 months and has for the last 3-4 years.  Is this common with Sjogren's?  How often does another disease develop years after Sjogren's was diagnosed? I have had new antibodies develop along with ANA and SSA going up, down and up again.  At what point can I say that Sjogren's is all that I have and I'm "safe" from the risk of developing anything else?

Nancy

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
Re: Monitoring for other Autoimmune Diseases?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 04:52:35 PM »
Hi Nancy  :)

You can have SjS and NOT have anything else develop. If other things do develop, symptoms are liable to develop with them - and then docs would test presumeably. Isn't the treatment for Lupus and SjS pretty similar? If your thyroid went wrong - the chances are you'd know about it!! Dia :)betes would cause further symptoms as would RA. I'm confident they'd be picked up on.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Patze

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 06:11:29 PM »
Hi Nancy,

Yep, the rheumy I see also tests me every six months for everything, and has for a couple of years now (that I'm thankfull for :)).  Yes, I'll see the rheumy next week, not looking forward to it, but I know that with the symptoms that I'm now starting to show, it ought to be interesting!   

Now I've been diagnosed with SICCA (not SJS) and it's secondary to the Hashimoto's - that's enough! ;)  I don't know about you, but I sure as heck don't need (or want) anything else to develop!!! :)  Hopefully nothing else will develop for you, and I sure hope that the researchers can find a cause and a cure soon!

Take care -

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

songbird

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 06:47:10 PM »
Patze
Im confused I though SICCA and SJS were the same thing. Whats the difference?

lynnmarie219

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 06:49:49 PM »
Hi Nancy,

My rheumy also tests periodically for Lupus etc. ( I think its at least yearly...sometimes less if there are certain symptoms popping up). She also checks general blood levels, liver enzymes, SED rates, etc during these times! I always get copies of my  labs from ALL appointments and share them with ALL doctors.....this cuts down on duplicating labs and my docs have always been thankful for this information.

My thyroid and glucose levels all have to be checked on a regular basis as well as I am also diagnosed as hypothyroid and diabetic. Sometimes I think I need a medical receptionist just to help me keep track of everything...... :D !

Billydude

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 07:37:49 PM »
I thought Sicca ans Sjogrens were the same thing too.  If so then I have something I didn't know that I had.
Steve

Epson

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 07:59:30 PM »
Every six months, yeah that sounds about right, but I am thinking about going to an immunologist, just too see what test might be missing.

Something strange is going on and I think  my rheumy is getting too complacent.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 08:43:48 PM »
Doctors that check people every 6 months or so for other positive blood work are doing their job. They are admitting that Sjogrens is a serious illness and checking to make sure that other autoimmune diseases will be identified. If you are thinking that this is too often talk it over with him and maybe he will agree to do the testing once a year.

It is very common to have more than one autoimmune disease. Also, thyroid autoimmune disease can be hard to identify at times. Scottie had a very distinct case but I was on medication for 17 years before I was diagnosed with the Hashimotos. Some people are lucky and only get the Sjogrens but one never knows and it does pay to be diligent. Lupus can sneak up on a person and cause significant kidney damage without a person being aware of it. I would just talk with your doc and see what he says. Irish ;D

Annj5

• Reasonably Well
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 09:17:43 PM »
Sjs vs Sicca

Sicca just refers to a cluster of symptoms - dry eyes and mouth, etc. It can be caused by drug side effects, sjogren's syndrome, and other diseases.

So several things can cause sicca symptoms.

Hope that helps - Julia