Author Topic: Disability Insurance - In the Process - Any Helpful/Hopeful Stores  (Read 5410 times)

Mark54

Re: Disability Insurance - In the Process - Any Helpful/Hopeful Stores
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2008, 07:12:07 AM »
Sue,
      We had a reporter from one of the news channels in town who wanted to do a report on our problems with SSD, but our lawyer advises us not to let them do the story. She thought we might anger the courts and get a bad judgment. I disagreed but it's my wifes claim. Nothing like being between a rock and a hard place. Life goes on!

God's blessings,

Mark....

Sjenny

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2008, 07:21:51 AM »
Mark:

My mother always said, "If you are paying them (doctor, lawyer), you might as well follow their advice."  I hope justice prevails for you.  If you still get a bad judgement then after that, you will have nothing to lose by going public or by making waves. 

Your wife is in my prayers!

Sue

Billydude

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2008, 09:57:36 AM »
Julia,  did they send you to exams but their chosen doctors?   I have two lined up.  One for mental and the other for an interist.   But weirdly they are both at the same office on different dates.    I just can't imagine what the interist exam will show them as its taken many doctors and many years to come to a Sjogrens diagnosis.   Visually I look big and strong so I can't imagine what their report back would say.
Steve

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2008, 10:21:39 PM »
Mark, Are you calling your wife's worker every time you see a doctor and tell you what is going on---what new meds and what the doc says, etc??? I did this because my case worker told me to call with any changes so I called every single time there was one.

Have you made an appt with your wife to go and talk to her doc who said that she could work. I think I would because sometimes doctors don't get it when it comes to the nitty gritty things involving our everyday lives. I know that my doc doesn't quite get it. I am sure he thinks I can do more than I can.

I would make videos of your wife doing her activities of daily living---such as walking, trying to do dishes, etc. I think that the key is to document everything down to the last comma and question mark. There are so many things that people don't think to tell anyone about their daily living that is really important.

I did mine on the computer in story/paragraph form and hit every thing that I could think of. They do not give enough room to write anything down in their questionaires. Have you written down your wife's medication schedule with the times when she needs to do her meds , etc. That alone should be interesting. How can a person work if they spend every 2 hours or so taking meds and doing inhalers, nebulizers, etc.

How about thinking about the stuff that your wife might have to do at work --visualizing them in your head--and giving examples of how she can or can't cope with them. Just a few thoughts. Have you got any friends who are nurses that could help you with your information in order to give it to the lawyer.

Also, do you think that it makes a difference that your state has had so many financial/job issues this past year or so???? I often wonder just how much impact this has on the disability. Irish ;D

Mark54

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2008, 03:37:52 AM »
Irish,
     Thank you for your thoughts. I have done some of the things you have listed. I wrote in detail as to her abilities and the things she can no longer do. Most of everything is documented.
     I have had to refocus my thoughts for a while. I am now looking for a new second job. I had to quit my other job because it was so physically demanding. This was by my doctors orders. My arthritis has gotten bad recently. Before I only had it in my ankles and toes, now I have it in three of my fingers on my left hand. I went to the doctor 4 weeks ago with a wrist problem. After x-rays it was confirmed that I have arthritis in my right wrist and back of my hand.. I now where a brace so I can use my hand and wrist. Let the good times roll!!
     We will be contacting the lawyer this week to see where our case is at. Irish, I thank you for you concern. You and a few others are what makes this forum great.

God's blessings,

Mark....

Shari

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2008, 05:52:05 AM »
Good Morning Mark and Steve......I really feel for both of you...it is a very stressful process to go through. Steve, I would'nt worry about the appointments being in the same place, what would they have to gain where the appts. are.

I think it is a good idea to keep a journal or pics also agreeing with Irish...the more documentation the better.  I do beleive that having the letters from friends and family desribing how it all effected my life, both physically and mentally, and how it impacted my relationships was helpfull.

I do remember when I went throught this and was releived when it was over!!

I hope today brings a smile somewhere along the way!

Take care, Shari