Author Topic: Disability  (Read 2125 times)

kcoffiner

Disability
« on: July 16, 2008, 12:45:49 PM »
I currently work but have realized that in order to survive financially I may have to pursue the disability route. The truth is my eyes prevent me from doing most jobs and I currently make a little above minimum wage now. Wondered what the steps are in qualifying for disability. Thank you.

loisellenatkins

Re: Disability
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 01:30:02 PM »
      Go to your rhummy and tell her how SJS is effecting your life. It will be hard but it is possible.  You have to be persistant.  When I went the SS doc for an eval she thought I was faking it.  It showed in her attitude and exam.  The only thing that struck a cord in her was my memory loss.  I didn't get it because of SJS but on exam it was brain stuff that got it for me.  Funny the brain stuff was SJS but it wasn't recognized.  The problem is we look too good.  the brain stuff has improved with retirement
      If you have a good relationship with your employer it is helpful to have them write a note. I had to get a lawyer to get me full rectroactive payment.   I worked with a doctor who knew me for years she was able to document my decline and that was what finally got me my payment.
      Do not give up persistance will help towards sucess.  Good luck, Lois

Pooh

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 01:45:25 PM »
You might want to read over this link about SSD, http://www.myalgia.com/Disability/Disability_home.htm  See the listing of diseases on the left side of the page. 

Pooh
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 01:47:06 PM by Pooh »

kcoffiner

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 02:02:34 PM »
Thanks. Just a f/u question, my so-called disability is due to the state of my dry eyes. What is the most popular reason for Sjogren's related disability, fatigue, mylagia, etc.

Thanks!

Rania

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 02:03:43 PM »
I have no idea about the steps in that procedure (I'm not US citizen), but I wish you best of luck. I'm happy that others on this board can help you with your question.

When I stopped working, I felt that my health improved for some time instead of just only get worse. But I never got back to work again. Not yet. But who knows, maybe in the future?

I wish you the best.

Rania  :)