Author Topic: My brother's ER experience!  (Read 3079 times)

Kathy1958

My brother's ER experience!
« on: July 14, 2008, 03:41:04 AM »
Hi all,
Well I talked to my older brother the other day and he told me that he had a horrible experience in the ER.  He had injured his arm at work when a piece of machinery fell on him.  Well he went to the ER and he had to sit in the waiting room to be seen.  He said that while he was in the waiting room that he was so tired that he dangled his legs over the arm of the chair and fell asleep.  He said that he had slept for several hours and woke up and thought darn I should have been seen by now.  He went to get out of the chair and his legs felt dead big time.  He fell on the floor and could not get up at all.  He said that this really scared him big time.  He said that he laid on that floor for over a half an hour yelling for someone to help him get up.  People walked by him and did nothing until and older man, who was a patient himself, helped my brother get to his feet and get his balance.  I guess my brother told them off big time and threatened to sue them for that.  I don't know if he ever saw a lawyer or what.  It makes me so upset to hear that this happened to him.  It makes me wonder, what would have happened if he was having a heart attack, why he would have died there on the floor.  I told my brother that if that had happened to me that I would seek out a lawyer and sue the hospital big time.  There is no excuse to leave anyone laying in agony and crying out in pain on the floor.  I can just imagine how scared my brother was.  What do you all think about this happening in the ER's.  It makes me think about that poor lady that died on the floor in a New York emergency waiting room.  Oh and yes this was another NY hospital, go figure.  Sorry for the rant.  I am just so upset about this big time.

Kathy

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
Re: My brother's ER experience!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 04:01:30 AM »
Some times rants are needed to help others understand the problems that you and others face. He should consider contacting a lawyer if he can get documentation.

My last ER visit took over an hour to get in also. I was in the ER because I could not get in to see my Dr or get into urgent care. While I was in need of assistance (diarrhea and vomiting) I mainly wanted the drug reaction documented and appropriate blood work done to isolate the problem. I still ended up going to a GP to get the required blood test for my liver.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Kathy1958

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 04:30:49 AM »
Hi Joe,
I told my brother to contact a lawyer, but he blames himself for it for falling asleep with his legs dangling over the side of the chair and having his legs fall asleep like that.  I told him that there was still no excuse for them to treat him like that.  He just said that he would make sure that he did not fall asleep in any waiting room again.  I have no idea if he is going to contact a lawyer.  He changed the subject.  I feel bad that you had to turn around and go to a GP to get the blood work done.  I don't see why they could not draw the needed blood work.  I think a lot of times the ER staff is insensitive to peoples needs and that is sad.  I try to avoid going to the ER if at all possible.  How did your lab work come out?  I hope that you are doing ok now.

Hugs,
Kathy

Skylar

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 05:04:20 AM »
Kathy, that is very frightening. It seems the last place you want to be these days, when you're really ill, is the ER. I hope he has recovered from his injury despite this experience.

Skylar

Kathy1958

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 05:45:49 AM »
Hi Skylar,
My brother is doing ok.  He has permanent damage to his arm, but he will be ok.  Yes to me it is scary to go to an ER, especially if things like this are becomming common place.  It is a shame, because people don't go to an ER, just because they want to.  I know that I would never want that to happen to me or anyone else.

Kathy

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 10:06:11 AM »
Hi Kathy

I think that's totally outrageous. Like you say - if he'd been having a heart attack - he'd have been a gonner.

I hope he writes a really scathing letter to whoever it is that runs the hospital or writes a letter to a local newspaper and get them to deal with it!! I wouldn't just let it go.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 04:18:01 PM »
Kathy, The blood work told me what I knew. I just had to have it done to confirm the problem. Thank you for your concern.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 10:58:15 PM »
I had a episode over a period of drs visits at a clinic several years ago. I was so frustrated especially when they screwed up and didn't diagnose me. I did have a positive test for the myasthenia gravis. Anyway, I had attended a seminar by a woman lawyer who was also as RN so I called her and ran the info past her. She said it is really time consuming and hard to get a settlement from a medical provider unless you can prove that "harm" has been done. So that ended that idea. Actually, I don't think I would have the energy to go through a lawsuit. I think you would get burnt out going through with a lawsuit even if you were in good health.

I am so sorry that your brother got treated like that. It is a sign of the times for sure. No one pays any attention or wants to get involved anymore. It is unbelieveable that our society has become so uncaring. Irish ;D

loisellenatkins

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 01:38:59 PM »
   To effect change I would write a letter to the Hospital adminstrator.  Let them know I, assure you there will be a correction. Hugs,  Lois