Author Topic: very rare autoimmune issue in friend--need prayers  (Read 8251 times)

Sjenny

Re: very rare autoimmune issue in friend--need prayers
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2008, 08:09:56 AM »
Oh Irish, I am so sorry! Of course, I will pray and add Jerry and his family to our church's prayer list.

Sue

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2008, 09:06:29 PM »
Just an update on Jerry. This has indeed been a rollar coaster ride for this young family and I don't know if it is over yet. However, prayers have worked as he has totally avoided surgery. It is the most weird thing. The blood patch that they thought had failed now seems to have worked on the lower spine.

Jerry had an MRI at 6AM this past Monday at Mayos with his doc in attendance to direct them when, where and how to take the pictures. It turns out that a lot of the diverticuli have healed or something---they are not there!!!! The blood patch on the lower spine has worked and they are going to put a blood patch on the upper spine tomorrow.

Now, this is the good news at this point. The bad news is that he is still having the terrible headaches and he had to start his new job teaching at the University in 5 weeks. He is on strong pain meds and needs to  be of "sound mind" to be able to drive and teach. He and his wife are very thankful for the healing but at the same time frustration is present because the docs do not know what is causing the headaches nor do they know if he will leak again. Chances are he will because he has done so many times already. The docs also think that he may be leaking in places that are not showing up on MRI.

I guess I can only pray and hope that this will just totally resolve itself or if it happens again there will be more medical knowledge accumulated to help fix him for good. The wife says she and Jerry feel like the whole thing was a dream. The pain, all the terrible CNS symptoms, the fast trips in the car to the ER and to take kids to relatives, the worry about money, everything that has happened in the past month was like living a fast paced life in slow motion with so many twists and tangles.

I want you to know that I told Carol and Jerry that I had shared their story with you folks and asked for prayer and they were both very appreciative. It is great to be able to share these things with others and know that somehow, sometime, someone is thinking or praying for comfort/healing/peace/ whatever is needed. Please continue to think of them. Thank you again. Irish ;D

Katybarstool

« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2008, 12:02:34 AM »
Irish

Wonderful, at last some good news for the family. Well, I guess this just confirms how powerful prayer can be.

Kathyx

Sjenny

« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2008, 07:31:13 AM »
Irish:

What good news that the diverticuli have healed!  I asked for prayer for Jerry and his family in my church just this Sunday.  Now to pray that these headaches end!

Sue

loulou

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2008, 08:05:01 AM »
Irish

My thoughts and prayers continue to go out to Jerry and his family, i pray that he will only improve with time.

TAke care
loulou
primary sjogrens, primary biliary cholangitis, auto-immune hypothyroidism, Osteoporosis gerd.hiatus Hernia, cold feet, no tears, lacrilube, celluvisc, thyroxine, ursofalk, gabapentin, omerprazole.

mompain

« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2008, 08:36:47 AM »
My prayers are with them.  Please pass along our concern.  Sometimes just knowing others are there can go a long way in helping one feel better.  I know you have done this, but just wanted to let you know that I care.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2008, 09:02:48 PM »
This is my final post on this thread. Jerry had another blood patch this morning and his bad headache quit. He and the family have gone home. He says that his back feels like a pin cushion after all the spinal taps, blood patches etc.

Hopefully this will never happen again. Again, thank you so much for your concern, prayers/good thoughts regarding Jerry and his family. This has been a very stressful month for them. Hopefully, things will settle down now and life will go back to "normal" for him. Hugs to al!! Irish ;D

Katybarstool

« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2008, 12:32:31 PM »
Irish

That's wonderful news. 

Kathyx

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2008, 08:42:44 PM »
Sorry folks, I lied!!!! My son emailed me tonight telling me that Jerry is running a temperature. I emailed back telling him to tell Jerry to get to the doc ASAP as meningitis can happen quickly when a person has had spinal taps and blood clots injected for the spinal leaks. Infection is just part of our daily stress with dealing with doctors and hospitals. Wish it weren't so. Would appreciate more prayers. Irish ;D

Katybarstool

« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2008, 11:33:18 PM »
Poor Jerry.  My prayers are definitely with him.

Kathyx