Author Topic: Hover round  (Read 2586 times)

gr8nammy

Hover round
« on: July 01, 2008, 01:47:52 AM »
Does anyone use a scooter due to the problems of sjorgrens?  I have severe arthritis, fibromyalgia, chronic pain syndrome, two ruptured discs, I could go on and on.  I am basically homebound due  to the inablility to stay mobile....if a store doesnt have an electric scooter, I have to go back home.

I more than qualify under my insurance plan, but, my doc keeps saying no...and  I am not sure why.  I am not living life, I am merely existing.

Am I wrong to think this may help improve the quality of life for me?

Skylar

Re: Hover round
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 06:57:27 AM »
Hi gr8nammy, I don't know why your doctor says no. Has he told you why he is saying no? Maybe he's afraid if you get the scooter you'll walk even less and then you'll be stuck in a wheelchair permanently? Do you have other walking devices to help you ambulate such as a walker or rollator with a built in seat so you can rest when needed? Here is a link to a picture of a rollator www.dynamic-living.com/product/standard-size-rollator

OTOH, it is so important not to be housebound when it's not necessary, so I hope you can discuss with your doctor a plan to help you get out and not be dependant on a store having a scooter to borrow.

Skylar

Pooh

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 11:35:21 AM »
Hi Gr8nammy,

I think Skylar has a terrific idea.  I have one of these rollators and I use mine when I am shopping at the mall.  Mostly I use a cane or "cart hang". :D  However, I can't do a lot walking without having to rest, so I use my rollator at the mall.  If I get tired and my friend still wants to go, I just sit and she pushes me along with her. ;D  We have a great time.  She gets the exercise and I get the rest and ride. :D

It also keeps my leg muscles from tightening up on me.

Hugs, Pooh

Debora

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 04:11:37 PM »
Hi Skylar

My Mom just received a hoover round about 2 months ago.  She is diabetic and neuropathy in her feet and legs.  Her doctor approved it the first time she talked to him. 

She takes it out once a day to cruise around the apartment complex but still does her walking all other times.  Its stuck at her apt because she doesn't have a trailer for it yet.  We see alot of people around town with their hoover rounds.  Talk to your doctor more about it.  Do you have a rheumatologist that could help you get one?

The rollators look good too, I've seen people with those and at times thought I could use something like that when I'm out and about.  I also have Rhuematoid and Osteo arthritis. 

Don't give up on this, sometimes it takes persistance!

Debora

gr8nammy

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 04:00:17 AM »
I am not sure why not either!  I have so many health problems other than sjorgrens as if that isnt enough right!  Severe arthritis, heart disease etc among them.  He is an older doc, set in his ways, and not open to ideas from his patients!  I am in the process of switching docs...so maybe....   I have a cane but my hands hurt so bad from arthritis I cant use it, and I declare I am homebound...  I love the idea though!

Pooh

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 04:28:18 AM »
Do you have a handicap tag for your car?  Who gave you the okay for that?  My neuro signed my application and okayed it.  I should think that would be whom to ask.  I do hope you can get one.  I haven't given in to the electric carts yet, but it won't be to much longer I'm sure.

Pooh

gr8nammy

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 03:16:42 AM »
Thank you for all the kind replies!  i dont get round to the site due to chronic pain....   One doc wont do anything unless it is his idea.....I have just switched to another doc instead of him!  Still getting to know the primary care doc....see the Rheu twice a yr but she says I will lose my muscle mass if I get a chair.  I may lose my dog gone mind if I dont!  I am a virtual shut in

Odd the same doc who says no to the chair couldnt get a pain shot quick enough when he saw me lying on the exam table moaning in pain due to a migraine......go figure!

Shari

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 06:04:42 AM »
My Gosh!  Just because you want a hover round does not mean you will be in it nonstop!  Too bad that doc wouldn't go to the store with you and see how hard (impossible) it is.  AND...if you are using a motorized chair anyway at the stores, WHATS the difference??!!

Common sense is sometimes lacking in these, "smart" docs.

My cousin has one....she walks everywhere in her house and a bit in the yard....barely moving...breathing hard..carrying her oxygen tank....but runs her hover round around the neighborhood visiting and down to the local restaurant to meet with friends.

Don't tell anyone but she and her friend from across the street , "race" to the restaurant! 

Good luck and remember the squeaky wheel.......Shari

Seeker

• Proud to serve
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 12:34:41 PM »
G,day gr8nammy,  my father had the same problems with his doctors and Medicare.  This is a quality of life issue, more than a medical issue.  The doctors need to realize this.  You need to write a letter to your doctor or have some one who is literally qualified write it for you.  Have the letter emphasize the quality of life issues.  Make sure the letter is well reasoned.  Send the letter to your doctor and to your insurance company.  The one to your insurance company should explain also the problems you are having with your physician and request their help mitigating the problem.  Also contact the hover round people.  Explain your quality of life issues and problems with your physician to them.  Ask for their help.  In my father's case they were very helpful.  Also they may lone you a hoveround while they are helping you midagate your issues with your doctor.  Needless to say my father got his hover round.

Hope this helps and give you some hope
Seeker
Every day is an adventure, waiting to happen.