Author Topic: What products do you take when you go out?  (Read 6250 times)

Skylar

What products do you take when you go out?
« on: June 19, 2008, 06:04:20 AM »
What products do you take when you go out shopping or visiting a museum or a restaurant? What do you take when you travel? If you visit another country where you are unsure you can find your favorite products, what do you pack?

Currently I'm walking around with a Biotene mouth spray. I'm thinking of adding a salt water nasal spray for when it's too dry to breath. Of course there is lip gloss tucked in my purse always. I'm using Soothe eye drops which has mineral oil and they are working well so I'm not carting drops on a daily basis, only when I travel. Of course there is always a bottle of water or can of diet soda in my hand and sugar free mints everywhere.

Skylar

3nats

Re: What products do you take when you go out?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 06:52:28 AM »
This just makes me laugh to think about how big my purse is these days. Similar to you , I always have the biotene ( love that stuff ) , whatever eye drop is my current pick , bottle of water , candy ( which is a must w/ 3 kids ). A small lotion for my cracked hands. Lastly I love the Ayr nasal gel so it comes along too.  Oh & especially when traveling , I take along #'s for my docs. Ya know just in case! One of my friends always calls me " bag lady ". We just won't even discuss how many items hang out in my car!!

Laugh often - Natalie ::)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 08:47:41 PM by 3nats »

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 07:53:00 AM »
Hi  :)

I take a small bottle of water, spare paracetamol tablets, nasal gel, Salivix Pastilles (for dry mouth), a mouth spray I bought in the US and 2 kinds of eyedrops.

When I run out of the spray I bought in the US I will carry a spray bottle with diluted mouthwash in it.

Obviously if I travel I take all my meds. I'd also take some tranquileye goggles to use on the plane.  I don't go abroad often. I try to take what I need with me but if heading for the US I know there are more products I can buy OTC there, than here.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Patze

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 08:05:59 AM »
Hi Skylar,

Let's see, I'm often refereed to as the bag lady because I carry so much stuff :D!  Okay, let's see, I carry any med I need to take, my inhaler, aspirin, eye drops, lip moisturizer, sugar free mints/hard candy, nasal spray, and always carry a bottled drink.  Whew, didn't really realize that I carried so much with me every day.

Take care -

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

fatburningmachine

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 09:12:42 AM »
I'm with you guys. It is a hoot how much we have to take with us. I travel almost every week and I feel like I need a special suitcase just for the doodads etc. The big problem with me is with the brain fog remembering  to use all of stuff I have. I remember tho, when the symptoms start because of neglect.  It seems just when I lie down, I remember  oops  I forgot the flouride or oops I forgot the restasis etc. It seems there is always one more thing I need to do just as I am getting to sleep or just as I am going out the door ;D It just feels like I panic if I don't bring everything. But I never go out without my water and moisture for my mouth. The other day I saw a woman in church with a bottle of water so I asked her if she had Sjorgrens but she was just thirsty.

Skylar

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 02:53:02 PM »
So I see I'm not the only one carting half the pharmacy with me in my purse. LOL My latest hobby is checking out the eye/nose/mouth aisles to see if there are any new products to try.

Skylar

LenV

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 05:05:17 PM »
Wow,
With the new baggage charge the airlines are charging, traveling on a plane is a problem (if I ever decide to do it).  We get all our meds from a mailorder pharmacy.  (insurance requires it ::))  And we also have to get three month prescriptions (big bottles).  When we went to Mayo, I had one suitcase for the medical stuff.  Handle and wheels.  Personal Humidifier, 12 medicines, eye glasses and spares, mouth stuff, etc, etc,.  Ridiculous.  I'm glad to see I'm not the only one.

Billye

fatburningmachine

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 06:21:17 PM »
How big is your personal humidifier? Where did you get it? By personal, do you mean smaller than one you would have in your  bedroom?

lynnmarie219

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 07:04:00 PM »
I carry many of the same things as you have all mentioned...Biotene, lip balms, saline nasal spray, eye drops, meds galore, and lotion. I ve recently added my glucometer, lancets, and strips as well as glucose tablets and my records of glucose levels, meds, and doctors. And of course...always something to drink!

I had recently tried to downsize my purse and now I'm getting into the bigger bags again out of pure need!

If I travel overnight don't forget the darn c-pap and accessories! I yiyiyiyiyiy!

And I haven't even talked about all the normal things that people carry with them in their purses or what they pack when they travel!  :D

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 09:00:27 PM »
Oh, what a good question. Isn't it just awful how sjogrens has inpacted our lives. To just grab our purse, coat and shoes and out the door.

When I go to my son's for a couple days I take a small bag that has the wheels for my clothes. I take a small duffel bag for my meds, suntan lotion, extra tubing for my nebulizer, tylenol, various sized baggies for my denture brush and paste, denture cups, container to soak my nebulizer mouthpiece, also for my Restasis and other eye drops, nasal nose drops, solution to irrigate my nose and the syringe etc plus other things that need to go that I can't think of now.

I also take one of those plastic crates and put my nebulizer, gallon of distilled water for me to boil to irrigate my nose and to use unboiled in my personal humidifier that I also take in this crate. I put my shoes in this crate also plus extra kleenex. I also have to take my Vest that is used to pound my chest for airway clearance. This has a special bag for traveling and it is about 24 inches long, 11 inches high and 11 inches deep. It is quite heavy but needs to go with.

I then have to load up the extra bottles of water and pop on the floor of the front passenger seat, place a large grocery bag for all the kleenex I use plus other trash, kleenex box on the seat, coat in the back seat, cell phone and cord for car and cord for charging in the house and heavens knows what else. Also, have to make sure I have my handicapped sticker for parking.

It takes me so darn long to pack up and load the car. I have been slowly developing a routine but it is really hard to keep track of the easiet way to do things. Also, need the inhalers and needed meds in the purse. It is really time consuming to travel. I feel like in the old days when started out on a trip in the covered wagon only I think I have more stuff. Irish ;D
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 09:30:47 PM by irish »

season nunley

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 09:10:43 PM »
Alright already, what is this personal humidifier. Is this something like what is prescribed for sleep apnea? Is this something that you sleep with on your face.? Does it really help and how can I get one?  Season

Pooh

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 10:12:27 PM »
I'm pretty sure Billye and I use the same personal humidifier.  It's a Medisana and you can see it here or order one if you like. http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=medisana+humidifier&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=1102406261&ref=pd_sl_5lxwr6w4qc_b  I have had mine for about 4 yrs. now and I love it.  It runs for about 8-9 hours without refilling and like Billye, I have taken it to the hospital for any overnight stays.  It's about 7 inches wide and about 7 1/2 inches high.   

Pooh
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 10:16:39 PM by Pooh »

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 09:37:55 PM »
season, I got my personal humidifier at Fleet Farm. I think it is a Sunbeam. It is about 10 inches long, 4-5 inches wide and 5 inches high. I put distilled water in it as our water is so full of iron even with the softener and filter on the well. I put it on the end table next to my recliner and every time I sit down I turn it on. Nice cool moisture which is really soothing. I have also put it on the counter in the kitchen when I am working.

It is really great for the dryness and you get a more concentrated dose of humidified air when you sit that close to it.

Pooh, I had bought a Medisana at Walmart but had to take it back. When I got it home and opened it up it had been used and was full of gunk. Couldn't believe that someone would use it that long and then take it back. I may want to try one some day as mine is having a little leakage problem at time. I put mine on a cookie sheet and wrap a bathtowel around it so it doesn't hurt the furniture. Irish ;D

season nunley

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2008, 09:41:55 PM »
Thanks so much Pooh. I am learning so much. Everyone is so helpful. One day I hope we can look on this site and read the fantastic news that a "cure has been found." I know I have strayed from the original topic but I am excited about the humidifier. I hope it works for me.

season nunley

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2008, 09:47:58 PM »
Thanks Irish. You and Pooh have convinced me that I should try the personal humidifier.