Author Topic: Kidneys, Hyperparathyroid  (Read 3297 times)

Sandra

Kidneys, Hyperparathyroid
« on: June 18, 2008, 08:17:21 AM »
Hi all hope everyone is forging on, I have a concern that I would like to share. For the last year now I have been having very difficult flares. The flares are not my normal ones, so it's been quite confusing. Finally about November 07 things got much worse. Bladder infection(s), nausea, vomitting.....a real mess. Since November I have had many episodes. This UTI being number 6 since Nov. I saw my own dr 3 weeks ago and was put on anitbiotic, things settled down but this past weekend the UTI came back with a vengence. The ER dr put me on another antibiotic but cautioned me that this is not normal....which I knew. He said that it sounded like a Kidney problem, maybe stones.... So it's Wednesday and the UTI feels a bit better but I still hurt so bad. I did some reading about stones and there are several types. One type is caused somehow by dehydration which I battle with the sjs. Have any of you had kidney problems?
I read further  about the parathyroid gland and hyperparathyroidism which in turn is related to kidney stones.... it also sounds too familiar there is even a rhyme used to discribe the symptoms "moans, groans, stones,bones and psychiatric overtones"....boy that's me in a nutshell.....your input appreciated. Thanks Sandra

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
Re: Kidneys, Hyperparathyroid
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 08:33:54 AM »
Hello Sandra  :)

I'm sure someone will be along to help. This is something that has never happened to me personally. It might be worth posting on About.com thyroid forum. I know I've read stuff about parathyroid problems in there and they are also pretty good at answering. Lupus often causes a lot of kidney problems.

As I say - I'm sure someone will come along with better information soon.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 11:10:11 AM »
Sorry to hear that you are feeling so rough, Sandra.

The parathyroid glands control calcium metabolism, and a blood test for calcium levels should tell if there's an issue.

Kidney/bladder problems can be a "which came first, chicken or egg?" situation. The repeated bladder infections can eventually cause kidney repercussions; or a kidney problem can look like or result in bladder infection.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

Skylar

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 11:19:26 AM »
Sandra, I'm sorry to hear you're suffering from so many UTI's and potential bladder problems. I hope they resolve these issues and get you healthy soon.
skylar

SHERI

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 11:40:13 AM »
     I am new to this, but very familiar with bladder, kidney, and urinary infections. First I would advise you to make sure that the Dr. is requesting cultures on the urine. Some types of infections can become immune to the antibiotics. I have battled with all three for years. I go in they put me on antibiotics, get the culture back in 3 days, have to change meds. It may also become necessary to use a maintance antibiotics, by ths I mean for instance I was giving the regular round of antibiotics, then was giving some to take in a lesser dose for the next 3 months

Sandra

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 11:50:28 AM »
thanks everybody, but would a UTI cause so many problems? I got the occasional UTI when i was younger, just the burning itching pain and frequency. This is different in that there is bone and back pain, memory and cognative stuff? My gp did mention the low dose management possability.Sandra

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 08:54:22 PM »
Sandra, Are you having weakness along with this. There is a kidney problem that goes along with sjogrens at times, but I don't think that infection is part of it. Has to do with low potassium levels. Hope someone can help me out as it just escapes me at the moment.

I would think that your doc will do the tests for the calcium and the parathyroids. Sometimes when people need their thyroid gland removed the parathyroid glands are removed accidently. The parathyroids are very small and hard to separate the tissue from the thyroid gland. When this happens there can be an upset in the metabolism of the calcium. Please keep us updated on things. If you have stones infection can sit in there and just brew constantly. Also, there are different types of stones and they will analyze them if you need them removed. This can result in a special diet. The key is to keep drinking. Irish ;D

Sandra

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 06:42:08 AM »
Hey...keep drinking....never thought of that ;D  Called my gp yesterday finally and all he had was the ER urinalisis so he just said keep taking the anitbiotic and he'd wait for the lab results. Apparently they are more detailed. So I got no appointment as per usual. There is something odd going on flip flopping from pretty good, bike riding, swimming, socializing to in bed and can't move almost overnight is just not right. Tired is not the word for it, feel like I'm in a zombie coma. Sandra

SHERI

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 07:15:26 AM »
UTI'S can make you very ill even without Sjogren's. My Rheumy told me that the reason I get so ill is because when I get the UTI"S it raises my white blood count, but instead of it attacking the infection it attacks my own body. He explained that my white count runs high most of the time causing damage to all moisture producing parts of the body. So the flares are even more intense.So it is and endless cycle, the Sjogren's Syndrome causes the UTI'S and the UTI'S aggravate the Sjogren's. A few home remedy's to consider. 1) try to drink Cranberry Juice-It has natural enzymes in it to help rid the body of infection. 2) Lots of water 3) stay away from caffeine 4) urinate frequently 5) frequent outer cleansing(most infections come from outside contamination) Good luck and I hope this is helpful.