Author Topic: Live in Iowa flood area  (Read 3115 times)

kathylee

Live in Iowa flood area
« on: June 17, 2008, 02:43:59 PM »
I am trying to find credible data on health impact of being near and around this flood disaster. When they said the other day that everyone should put all the flood soaked building material out by the curbs I thought "what happens to me ( and others) when the winds pick this stuff up and makes it airborne!"

Also my son-in-law is gonna be one of the electricians going into inspect these toxic houses and he's got health issues and a new baby at home ( two other kids too). How do his clothes get washed?

I found some stuff on Katrina but obviously the better the source the more seriously my son-in-law will take it.

Pooh

Re: Live in Iowa flood area
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 04:10:27 PM »
Kathylee,
Check with the Disaster Relief Service in your area and get their list of decontaminating instructions.  I think this would be your best bet.  Or see if there is a listing on the web. 

When my hubby was working with asbestos piping removal where he was working, he had to wear special coveralls and head gear, plus face masks and booties and gloves.  Then at the end of the day all this was put in disposal bags and he had to shower before putting on his clean clothes to come home.  Even though his work boots were covered, he had to leave them at work until the job was finished, then they too were disposed of. 

I don't know what they will have to do for the mold spores and toxic residue from the flood waters.

Good luck and I hope you didn't get much damage.

Pooh

Skylar

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 11:37:29 AM »
Hi Kathylee, I hope you and your family are keep safe and well with all that devastation going on from the flooding.

Sandra

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 04:26:29 PM »
Hi Kathylee sorry for allthe trouble you folks are having. I see it it seems nightly on the news even here in Canada. I just thought I might add that here in Ontario we have a gov organization called OHCOW, Ontario Health Clinics for Occupational Workers. They offer not only immediate health services for workers hurt on the job but are a wealth of info regarding exposure etc on the job. My hubby is a stone mason and a while back was getting real bad headaches suddenly. I contacted them and was sent allot of info on the chemicals one is exposed to while doing chimney repair. They also helped to avoid the dangers by using the correct attire etc. Surely there is something similar in the US that you could contact. Good luck Sandra

Skylar

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 07:07:16 PM »
OSHA is the american organization = Occupational Safety & Health Administration http://www.osha.gov/
Skylar

LenV

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 08:32:06 PM »
I found this site which may help.   http://www.extension.iastate.edu/DisasterRecovery/flood.htm   Good luck to your son.  He's in my thoughts.

We have family in Iowa too but so far they are o.k.

Billye

salsen

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 09:05:37 PM »
I am from south Louisiana and yes flood waters do cause serious problems.  Clorox is great for scrubbing things down and was used by the tons to help clean up areas around here.  I will tell you this that some one with health issues might want to reconsider going in to do clean up work.  Health issues have greatly esculated with superbugs that are really hard to shake even for the healthiest person.  My brother-in-law ended up in the hospital after working down in New Orleans and nicking his thumb.  In less than 24 hours he had a major infection and had to have antibiotics infused for three days to stop the progress.  I don't want to scare you but flood waters carry a multitude of bugs and have lingering effects once the clean up starts. 

Please be consistent with washing your hands and throwing out contaminated items.  Your local health unit should have guide lines to help you.   Use only bottled water to drink and cook with until you get an all clear from your town that your water system has been tested and cleared. 

I wish you the best and will keep you in my prayers.  I know what you are going through.   Take care.

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 03:46:01 AM »
I use 4 negative ion air cleaners in the house. to remove particles form the air including mold. I do not like to leave the house when they are all on. They reduce my alergic responses also. I prefer the sharper image ionic breeze. I even have one i use in the car when I am driving. It does make a big difference in air quality and my alertness.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism