Author Topic: Night time "fever."  (Read 7118 times)

Zeta

Night time "fever."
« on: June 15, 2008, 07:55:11 PM »
I just want to preface this with, "I had no idea where to put this so..." And to also remind everyone that I don't have a sjogren's diagnosis yet.

Does anyone here ever experience an elevation in temperature at night? It ranges anywhere from 98.9 to 99.5 (Usually 99.2 or 99.5) and I call it a fever because its when I'm feeling my worst that my temperature gets like this. I try to tell my doctors this and all they say is that 99.5 is not a fever. They completely dismiss the fact that I feel horrible along with it. Its also not always at night. Just normally at the end of the day. (I apologize if I'm not making much sense.  My sleep meds are kicking in :P) Its just odd because my temperature used to be SO LOW but as my symptoms have progressed I'm getting hotter? I don't know. Anyone else experience something similar? Thanks guys.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 03:43:46 AM by Zeta »

Pooh

Re: Night time "fever."
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 08:22:34 PM »
Hi Zeta,
No, you aren't imaging these "fevers".  At least not as far as I'm concerned and I'm sure others have the same thing going on. 

I get these warm feelings quite frequently but not just in the evening.  In fact, just a short while ago I said to my hubby, "I feel like I have a fever again".  All I was doing was sitting in my chair reading. 

I'm sure Linda or Irish will have an explanation for this.  It's probably just Sjs sharing it's wealth with us.  They don't seem to last long, but I do feel weary when it happens.  Usually I lay down, or lay my head back in my chair and go off to sleep for a while. 

It's a puzzle, but it does happen.

Pooh

Billydude

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 09:49:03 PM »
I sometimes get a night sweat.   Is that what you mean.   Of course I'm ALWAYS warm.
Steve

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 03:22:38 AM »
I wish I did have an explanation, but my rheumy and I are as puzzled as everyone else, except that he recognizes it as an "autoimmune phenomenon". I occasionally wake in the middle of the night feeling feverish, and when I'm not too lazy, I check my temp. It's been as high as 40oC (104oF), more often 38.5oC (101.3oF). During any given day it can range from 36 (96.8 ) to 39 (102.2) without changing the way I feel in any way!
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

Cheryl

• Sjogrens Staff
    • Enter here for chat room:
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 06:20:14 PM »
Zeta,
  I often have the low grade fever (100F) in the evenings when I feel badly otherwise.   I have slight chills with it, so I know it's not imaginary!  (Mine does not get high like Linda's.)   Steve, I have the night sweats, too, but not with fever.  Our body thermostats must be bad.  Zeta, I'm sure there's no cause for alarm unless your fever is higher.  Pooh's idea is good..listen to your body and take it easy for awhile!
Cheryl
Chat co-host on Thursdays at 8:00 Eastern time

nisha

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 06:38:09 PM »
Zeta - I have the same thing you are describing though my temp usually goes a bit higher than yours.  My temp can change within minutes.  Crazy.  None of my doctors can explain it either.  So I guess we just live with it.

nisha

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 10:53:21 PM »
zeta, Welcome to the club. I had this happen to me for years and years. The docs didn't believe the low grade temps I would complain of either. They just don't get it.

I also told them I have not run a higher fever for years. I had a rip roaring kidney infection years ago and the highest temp I had was around 99.5. I have told the docs repeatedly that when I have a 99+ temp I am sick as that is a fever for me. I can be sicker than a dog and not run a fever---go figure. Normally my temp is 97-98 range even in the evening.

I think it is just the autoimmune stuff. I have wondered if it is from feeling crappy or if it is from the high stress that is placed on our body by our immune system when it is in overdrive. Take care. Irish ;D

Annj5

• Reasonably Well
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 12:19:00 AM »
Hi Zeta,

I know exactly what you are describing. When I get ready for bed at night, invariably I feel as though I am "coming down with something". Like achey, and ho,t yet shivery. When I check my temp when I feel like this, it is usually slightly elevated.

I have mentioned it to my doctor, who says that our internal body thermostat is not regulated well in autoimmune disease.

I feel better when I take ibuprofin or tylenol. I am not sure if that is just a placebo effect.

We are a strange bunch, aren't we???
 ;D
Julia

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 08:17:44 PM »
I am fortunate not to have a lot of pain the past few years. It comes and goes thank goodness. However, I will have the times when I feel fluey and achy like I am coming down with something and I have finally learned to take some ibuprofen at this time. I think it helps by its anti-inflammatory action. The tylenol has a little anti-inflammatory action also but  not as much as the NSAIDS. Irish ;D

wordnerd

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 06:06:00 PM »
I was wondering if you have hypothyroid or Hashimoto's?  I've been doing some research into having a low body temperature but feeling hot.  I can feel feverish when my temp is only 97 point something, and I honestly can't remember ever breaking 100 even when I had a severe kidney infection that landed me in the hospital for a month.  What I've been reading suggests that this might be related to being hypothyroid (which I am).

-Lauren

Patze

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 06:36:53 PM »
Hi Lauren,

I'm with you, feeling feverish with a low body temp is pretty normal for me, and yep, the endo and the rheumy just look at me, but I've noticed that my temperature goes from 96.0 to 98.0/99.0 at the height of the day and it goes back down to 96.0 at the end of the day.  Very strange indeed. 

It's strange that you never go above 100.00 even when your very sick, I can go from 96.0 to 100.0 in almost a heartbeat - it's no wonder I feel so drained when I first get sick.  I have gone to 103.8 and let me tell you, scared the heck out of me (this was the last time I had a sinus infection).

I also have Hashimoto's , so which AI causes it?  The endo sends me to the rheumy, the rheumy sends me back to the endo - and these doctors wonder why I often hit my head on a brick wall.  But I'm glad to see you up and about tonight!

Take care -

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

jangytexan

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2008, 06:19:32 PM »
Yes the fever thingie here too.

Everytime I am at the rheumotology clinic at the V.A. it is 99.5 or higher...they seem to think it comes with the territory.