Author Topic: Knots on both jaws after dental work - What could it be?  (Read 4558 times)

mompain

Knots on both jaws after dental work - What could it be?
« on: June 14, 2008, 08:15:12 PM »
This past week, I had dental work done on both sides of my upper teeth.  I have to have IV Sedation because I am TERRIFIED of dental procedures, so I remember none of what happened while I was having the work done.  I don't know if I had shots in the back part of my mouth but since then I have knots on both sides right at the end of each jaw bone.  They are EXTREMELY sore to the touch and hurts just to open and close my mouth.  This is not in the muslce area of my jaw, but right on the end of the jaw bone. 

Does anyone have any idea what this might be or what could be going on here?  It is very painful and is unlike anything I have ever had before with dental procedures.  I have been sore after injections before, but this really doesn't seem to be where the injections were probably given. 

If you have any ideas as to what this might be or what might be causing this, I would appreciate your input.  I am at a loss as to what is going on.  (By the way, each lump is about the size of Jelly Belly Jelly beans.) What could be going on here?????

Thank you in advance for any help.

eyeamdry

Re: Knots on both jaws after dental work - What could it be?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 09:16:55 PM »
My dentist loves to give me shots in exactly that spot.  Try putting a cold pack on your face on the outside and see if it helps.  Lucy

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 04:44:38 AM »
Contact your dentist and see if he or she has any suggestions.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Skylar

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 06:31:37 AM »
Hi Mompain, Joe is right, call your dentist. Not only will they probably know what the problem is, they can prescribe medication for pain.

I'm allergic to benzocaine which most dentists apply to the area prior to injecting local anesthesia (novacaine). Benzocaine causes a raised, painful inflammed area for about a day or two. I don't think he would have done this if you were given IV sedation, but you can ask if he did.

Hope your feeling better soon, Skylar

lynnmarie219

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 05:51:24 PM »
I don't know what could cause this and I wouldn't want to start guessing but I would definitely contact your dentist and let him decide what to do.....he may want to look at it again to see for himself or he may be familiar with it just from a description  you can give him on the phone.

Good luck and please let us know how you are doing!

mompain

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 08:56:57 PM »
My dentist is on vacation this next week and his office will be closed.  I appreciate everyone's advice, so I guess I will have to call my pcp if it isn't better tomorrow.  I really thought it might be something with the partoid (Not sure about the spelling here.) glands that can be a problem for sjogren's patients.  I haven't had trouble with these before even though I do have pain in my jaw area if  I eat something that is chewy.  It seems like that area of my jaw gets tired with lots of chewing and the pain starts. 

I also have not felt that well today.  I have had a couple of very dizzy spells and just basically feel out of sorts.  Don't know if this has anything to do with these sore areas at the end of my jaw bones or not.  I guess I will just call my pcp and let him take a look to make sure nothing weird is going on   If there is anything weird to be had, I guarantee that I will be the one to have it!! 

I wish everyone a nice and happy day and thank you for all the helpful comments.

lynnmarie219

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 04:16:21 AM »
I hope you are feeling better today...and if not good luck at getting in to see your doc and getting some answers soon to give you some relief!  :)

mompain

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 12:28:28 PM »
Again, thank you for all the words of advice and encouragement.  I am actually feeling better today even though I still have the knots and soreness.  I guess I will just wait and see what happens.  My sweet hubby tore his achilles tendon and separated the muscle from it on Friday and he goes to the surgeon tomorrow to see when surgery will be.  I also have an appointment with a new pain doctor on Thursday that I have been looking forward to for 2 months.  Each of these visits is a 2 hour drive each way and I have a feeling that the doc will want to do my hubby's surgery this week because it is one that needs to be done as quickly after the accident as possible.  That will mean another 2 hour drive each way. 

As you can see, I am trying not to have to go anywhere else unless I have to.  Right now, I am looking at around 12 hours in the car for this week alone.  It makes me hurt so badly to have to ride that much but that is one of the disadvantages to living in a small town.  Maybe if the pain and knots are still there when I see the pain doc on Thursday, he can tell me what it is and what is causing it. 

Please continue to keep me in your thoughts and prayers.  Between my health, my hubby hurting himself, and some personal problems with some members of my local church congregation, I am about at my wit's end.  Your support means more than you know.

Rania

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 12:51:16 PM »
Hi.

I am a bit challenged when it comes to English, it is a second language to me. I'm not quite sure I understand the word "knot". I've been diving in my dictionaries, but I'll give it a shot and try to respond to your post. :)

I started to wonder if the dentist have kind of "stretched something" that has to do with your jaws? I had dental work done a while back too, and the dentist were almost twisting my jaws out of position to reach the area in the mouth she was fixingIt was pretty much on the side, but still. I was very sore for weeks, and when I eat, I sometimes hear a small sound at the top of the jawline, like a little "snap" or "click" or how should I describe that sound. Maybe i can call it a "knot". It is like the sound of a small and dry branch snipping. I told my dentist to be careful because of Sjogrens, but the dentist just like most doctors (gp's) have no clue whatsoever when it comes to sjogrens, and she kept stretching and twisting and really made me feel like a overused table cloth. It was like she was trying to twist some water out of my jaws, and she did not take it easier even though I told her to.

Could something like that have happened to you? Is it posible they have twisted or used so much strength and power on you through the procedure, so that your jaws are almost out of place, but not quite? To me it felt just like a strained ancle, only it had to do with jaws. Very painful for a while, but it got better.

But I'm with the others here. Call your dentist and ask when the person come back from vacation. Might be a while to wait, and I hope you feel better in the meantime. That might be the only way to find out what exactly happened to you.

Rania  :)

mompain

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 10:06:44 PM »
Just to send an update on my jaw knots (Sorry about my "southern" term, I am referring to swollen nodules.  I didn't realize that I was using slang here.  Sorry!!).  Anyway, I went to the doctor today and he said that I had a lot of inflammation in my partoid glands.  I realize that it is a part of Sjogren's, but he said the dental work apparently put my into a flare with this.  It has also seemed to cause a major flare with my bladder.  He diagnosed it as cystitis since I do not have an infection.  I only have pain and can't seem to go to the bathroom when I feel the urge to.  He did give me medication for the cystitis but wanted to wait about a steroid for the partoid until I see my new pain doctor tomorrow.  He wants me to give him a call on Friday and if the pain doc doesn't give me anything for the gland problem, then he will.

I really do like my pcp because he takes so much time with me and really seems to sympathize and understand my condition.  He has read and studied even more about it once he realized that I had been diagnosed by my Sjogren's doc and wants to really work with her in my treatment.  I am anxious about going to the new pain doctor tomorrow because my last one was very unsympathetic and unprofessional in that he talked about other patients in front of me.  I knew that if he talked about them to me that he would talk about me to them.  I couldn't deal with that. 

I would appreciate everyone's thoughts and prayers as I go through the process of trying to find someone I can trust and that can lessen my pain level.  My joint, cervical disk, and lower back pain has been TREMENDOUS lately.  I really don't know how much longer I can tolerate it without some relief.  Thank you for all the encouragement.

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 03:24:37 AM »
Mompain, "My joint, cervical disk, and lower back pain has been TREMENDOUS lately." (I have not figured out the other quote method).

I  am going to suggest that you try Reflexology. It will not do a lot for your joint pain but it will help you to reduce your cervical and spine pain. Reflexology triggers your body to release endorphins a very strong pain killer. Massage the ridge of tissue between your thumb and index finger for your neck pain. I have seven herniations in my neck and a few minutes of this helps me. For my low back pain I do pelvic tilts (1-5 per day) and I massage the point on my wrist under my thumb. Since I have had pain for so long, I drink a glass of Carrot Juice every day.

I also use a simple breathing exercise to help me manage my pain levels. I breathe in and think, "I am..." I breathe out and think, "calm..." Often when I was starting this it toook me quite a while to feel relieve.  Now it comes with just a couple of breaths.

I hope that you can feel better soon.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism