Author Topic: I can't believe doctors sometimes...  (Read 5817 times)

irish

• Global Moderator
Re: I can't believe doctors sometimes...
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2008, 09:14:41 PM »
It is not uncommon to have prednisone given at the same time that you start the Plaquenil. The prednisone is to reduce the autoimmune assault on your body while waiting for the Plaquenil to kick in. Prednisone is not as bad as people make it out to be. Yes, it does have a lot of side effects, but it also is a miracle drug much of the time at reducing inflammation and pain and saving peoples lives.

Plaquenil is not supposed to suppress the immune system. The rheumy I saw said he would give Plaquenil to an Aids patient if they needed it. Irish ;D

Zeta

Re: I can't believe doctors sometimes...
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2008, 08:10:48 PM »
Thanks, Irish. That post was very encouraging. How often does plaquenil work in sjogren's patients?

As for the others who posted about getting cortisone shots. It turns out shots in the joint really do make it into the system. And if its sustained release it can last for weeks. Which is what is going on with me. I asked my dad and he's a pharmacist. He's a better person to ask than a doctor. As each day goes by my tongue gets more moisture and color. At least I have a couple of more weeks of relief. But then after that it will be back. Hopefully not with a vengeance. The downside to all of this is that my permanent bacterial vaginosis is even harder to manage. Its flaring up horribly right now. I'm having a love/hate struggle with the stuff right now. The corstisone, that is.