Author Topic: U of M Bound for new Ophthalmologist  (Read 3547 times)

eyeamdry

U of M Bound for new Ophthalmologist
« on: June 10, 2008, 07:06:16 PM »
Tomorrow (11th), I have an appointment with Kellogg Eye Institute at U of Mich.  This is not the first time I have been there.  It is, however, my first time with this doctor.  I'm going to see about the viability of trying autologous serum eyedrops.  I dislike any eye dr appointments, as I've had what seem like a million over the past 9 years.  Still looking for something to work.  I'll post about my appointment later in the week. 

They have changed my appointment twice and that concerns me, as if they'll call early in the a.m. and do it again.  It's at least a 2 hr ride each way.  I can count on being there until they close, I'm sure.  My appointment is at 2 p.m. So, if I'm there until 5 p.m., we will not be home before 8 p.m. due to I-94 rush hour traffic and roadwork.  Thankfully, I don't have to drive myself.  Lucy

JannaLee

Re: U of M Bound for new Ophthalmologist
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 07:13:10 PM »
My dear Lucia,

I will be thinking of you tomorrow and praying for a wonderful report!

Janna

Pooh

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 07:32:20 PM »
Lucy dear, you are always in my prayers, but I will say a special one for you tomorrow.  Please know that we all are thinking of you and wishing you good luck.

Hugs, Pooh

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 09:03:07 PM »
Lucy, Hope all goes well for you at the eye appointment. Also hope that they don't call to change the appt again. That is the pits---I know what you mean cause we have to leave so early when appt is a long distance.

Sounds like your state of M is like my state of M---we have 2 seasons, winter and road construction. I just had to check the map for an alternate route to go to Abbott hospital on Thursday as 35 is all torn up and it is really a mess getting around in that area. Good luck Irish ;D

LenV

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 07:30:22 AM »
Good luck Lucy,
I'm anxious to see how the serum drops work for you.

Billye

Skylar

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 10:04:26 AM »
Hi Lucy, by now you must be close to seeing your Dr. Hope all goes well.

Skylar

eyeamdry

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 06:47:30 PM »
We made it.  Left at 10:30 a.m. and got back home at 8 p.m.  Long day, thankfully I didn't have to drive.  It is a 200 mile round trip.  Going to U Hospital is always fraught with anxiety as Ann Arbor is huge and this hospital is all over the place!  The eye clinic is separate from the other places and was with ongoing construction, just like the other times I've been there.  We made it with out Mapquest without problems.

I had 12......THAT'S TWELVE..... vials of blood drawn at the hospital.  They like blood at U of M.  Other time they took blood, it was 12 vials also.  I saw the doctor and actually spent 95 % of the time with "techs".  His girls.  I'm mad about the appointment because they were more interested in (my hobbies, how many pregnancies, was I married) than my eye problem.  Talk about pregnancy..........geez, I'm over 60 and I can assure them any pregnancy (1) I had had nothing to do with my eyes.  I also got copies of all the notes before I left.  I noticed where it said "mood" the doc wrote "discouraged."  No kidding.  It's a good thing he didn't write "angry" and I'm surprised he didn't. (I really wasn't angry, just know my eye stuff and the docs can't fool with me.)  The doc asked me "what else" besides Sjogrens I had.  (He meant lupus, rheumatoid arthritis etc.) I explained that I just had Sjogrens and that it was more than just sicca.  He said he knew that, but that you had to have something else with it. 

I said I had Primary Sjogrens and if I have "other" stuff, we don't know about it yet.  I told him my muscles and joints were affected and he wanted to know what it was called.  I said "neuropathy, numbness?"  I think he is mistaken on this one.  After my blood was drawn, they had to "spin" it to remove the plasma, which is what they work with.  That took an hour.  Then we were given a coldpack of my plasma with instructions to drive about 20 minutes away to a compounding pharmacy.  Folks, this is near Detroit, with all the traffic and all that goes with it.  We were lucky and had a good route.

At the pharmacy, he did what he needed to do and we went to get an ice cream cone.  I have enough drops to last me about 3 months.  He has more of my plasma frozen to make another batch.  It keeps 6 months frozen.  We were lucky the pharmacy was open until 5:30 this night and we were there until that time.  I was pleased all went well and I was able to bring my autologous serum drops home with me.  That was my reason and priority for this trip to U Hospital. 

Oh, the doc did do a Schirmer's test with anesthesia and I was zero in both eyes.  I was surprised that both were zero.  I expected the bad eye to be this low.  I'm not expecting any great revelations from the serum drops, but I needed to try them.  I'll post on my progress from time to time on this.  Lucy

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 09:28:56 AM »
Hi Lucy  :)

Sounds like that doc needs a bit of educating! I really hope the drops make a difference to you. I know how much pain you've been having. Look forward to reading how it goes.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

LenV

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 10:23:07 AM »
What a tiring day Lucy!  But it sounds as if a few things went your way.  Will the doctor's ever learn??  Sigh....
I'll be following this to see how it works out.

Billye

eyeamdry

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 04:25:22 PM »
I will not know how the serum drops really work until after a lengthy trial.  They do feel good upon instillation, though.  I use 4 x day and the drops are kept in the frig, so they're always cold.  I'll have to use my other drops in-between and at night.

I'm hoping these give me some relief.  I just can't hope it could "cure" me enough to have some of the pain go away.  I'll probably use what i have (about 6 months worth) and then it's just too much traveling and involvement to keep up on a permanent basis.  I'll report back on the drops in a couple of weeks or so..........unless I'm "cured" in the meantime.   ;D
Lucy