Author Topic: Is there an alternative to Plaquenil?  (Read 7755 times)

Maria3667

• Good advice is one thing, applying it another
Is there an alternative to Plaquenil?
« on: May 20, 2008, 04:53:40 AM »
Hi everyone,

May be I've asked this question before in some other form, but I really would like to know if there is an alternative to Plaquenil.

Plaquenil was the only drug for me which gave me instantaneous better saliva flow + improved my depression within a week. The downside: I got a severe allergic reaction, eye trouble, enormous chills, constipation, weight gain and anorgasmia...

So please anyone, is there something else which can 'kill the bugs' inside me?

Take care,
Maria
46, F. Lyme's Disease (1998), Primary Sjogren's & hypothyroidism (2003), DES-daughter, anxiety disorder.
Quetiapine, Livial, pilocarpine, natural thyroid hormones, supplements.
Dry mouth - dry eyes - dry skin - cherry hemangiomas - macules - uterine fibroids. Allergies: nickle, methylisothiazolinone

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
Re: Is there an alternative to Plaquenil?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 10:32:53 AM »
Hi Maria  :)

You're going to have to wait till one of the people with more medical knowledge than I have comes along. Afraid I don't have an answer but I'm sure someone will.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 11:05:38 AM »
Hi Maria,

Sorry you had such an unpleasant reaction to the Plaquenil, because it sounds like you had a remarkable response to it...most of us have to wait up to 6 months to even know if it's going to work!

Because the action of Plaq isn't really understood in SjS, and it's a unique classification of drug in treating AIs, there really isn't a substitute for it, but there are other classes of drugs, also called DMARDS (disease modifying anti-rheumatic drugs) that are also used. The include Methotrexate, Imuran, and Cellcept, but as always your doctor is best equipped to advise you about them.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Maria3667

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 12:18:55 PM »
Hi Linda,

Thanks for the answer!
I've taken a quick look at the DMARDS and they don't seem to have a very good side effect profile...  >:(

However I wonder: why does this allergic reaction to Plaquenil occur? I seem to be the only one with this reaction...
Will it not pass in time?
May be the built up was too quick. I started on 200 mgs/2x/daily of Plaquenil.

I was feeling pretty happy with the other fysiological and psychological effects of Plaq. One of the first meds to beat the blues for me...

Unfortunately my rheumy can't really answer my questions. I'm too unique ... !
May be you can shed a little light on this?

Thanks in advance!

(((((Big hug!)))))

Maria

46, F. Lyme's Disease (1998), Primary Sjogren's & hypothyroidism (2003), DES-daughter, anxiety disorder.
Dry mouth - dry eyes - dry skin - cherry hemangiomas - macules - uterine fibroids. Allergies: nickle, methylisothiazolinone

Debora

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 03:20:40 PM »
Hi Maria

I had a reaction to the plaquenil a few years ago(200 mg twice a day) so my rhuemy took me off it for a year, then we tried it again but only 200 mg once a day for about 3 months then I went up to the usual 200 mg twice a day and so far, so good, no reaction but I do try to stay out of the sun as much as possible.

I hope this helps some! 

Take Care
Debora

fatburningmachine

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 03:44:13 PM »
I want to know if anyone has better results with the brand name plaquenil than with the generic hydroxychlo...One Dr. said because we may have a dry esophagus the generic is not good because it doesn' have the slick coating and can stick to the esophagus, but I want to know about actual physical results

Maria3667

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 04:30:37 PM »
Hi Debora,

Was your allergic reaction anything like mine?
I.e. chills, constipation, weight gain, blurry eye sight, anorgasmia?

Take care,
Maria

Hi Maria

I had a reaction to the plaquenil a few years ago(200 mg twice a day) so my rhuemy took me off it for a year, then we tried it again but only 200 mg once a day for about 3 months then I went up to the usual 200 mg twice a day and so far, so good, no reaction but I do try to stay out of the sun as much as possible.

I hope this helps some! 

Take Care
Debora

nisha

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 08:27:15 PM »
fatburningmachine  -

Some of the generic Plaquenil caplets do have a slick coating - I have had both and agree very much with your doctor that the uncoated ones are difficult (they also tasted bitter).

But the ones I have now (from Medco) are coated.  So you might want to check around or ask the pharmacist.

nisha

Debora

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 10:18:31 PM »
Hi Maria

The reactions I had with plaquenil was diahrea (sp) and my hands and bottoms of my feet turned bright red with swelling, finally it all blistered up and peeled. 
I felt like I was renewing my skin!   I just didn't feel "right".   My rhuemy diagnosed it by phone since "Dr. Quack" said I had syphalis and I couldn't get to my rhuemys, she is 100 miles away.

Take Care
Debora

irish

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 10:45:27 PM »
Maria, Some people will metabolize a drug at a faster speed sometimes. It has to do with the speed that it goes through the liver. You had such a dramatic response to the Plaquenil. I wonder if it had to do with the speed it went through the liver. Sometimes it can also go through the liver more slowly and build up in ones system. This would be a good question to ask a doctor. I don't know if a decreased dosage would every eliminate the allergic response though.

I would not panic about the DMARDS though as not everyone reacts the same to every drug. With your history I think if it was me I would want to start out at a very low dose and increase the dose slowly. Good luck. Irish ;D

Maria3667

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 05:39:02 AM »
Hi Irish, Thanks for the reply. It seems to be making good sense what you are saying. But I still can't figure out why my adverse reaction was so contrary to everyone else's. Most speak of diarrhea whilst I had the opposite...?

I will certainly ask the Doctor what he thinks about the speed it passes the liver.

I would love to give it another try however, if it weren't for the allergic reaction.

Kind regards,
Maria

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 11:02:05 AM »
Hi Debora  :)

My hands and feet blistered up on one occasion and I wasn't on any medication at all. The doc was 'stumped'. He suggested pompholix eczema but it didn't really look like the pictures.

On another occasion my son felt like he was coming down with something and he presented with blisters on feet and hands. (Not mouth) He got a dx of human foot and mouth disease and got 4 weeks off college.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Debora

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 04:22:10 PM »
Hi Scottie

Thats interesting that your son had that.  My rhuemy was frustrated because she couldn't see first hand what was going on with me.  I wonder if thats what I had?    We figured it was the plaquenil because I had just started it.  I had to drop out of college because of that, I got too far behind to catch up.  I still hope to go back sometime.

One never knows with sjogrens!!

Debora

fatburningmachine

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2008, 02:15:52 PM »
Does the generic form of plaquenil work as well as the brand name?