Author Topic: Blood Draws  (Read 3673 times)

YICKelly

Blood Draws
« on: May 19, 2008, 02:24:14 PM »
I am having a rough evening because I had a physical this morning.  I couldn't eat before hand, therefore couldn't take my pain meds.  Well, it took 5 nurses and about 2 hours to draw enough blood to do the tests. It took so long because I had to go from one place to another so the 2nd set could try.   Does anyone else have this problem?  I have always been a 'hard stick', but once in awhile, as today, it it horrible.  So from 5 last night until 2 this afternoon without meds is why I am doing poorly tonight. Thanks.

ktfabian

Re: Blood Draws
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 04:23:48 PM »
Wow Kelly,

That sounds awful!  I'm an easy stick (just horrible when they have to put in an IV).  If you're good with IVs, maybe I could sneak in and give blood for you and you could get my IVs???

I know, wouldn't work.  But I hope you're feeling a whole lot better tonight, anyway.
Hugs, Tracy

JannaLee

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 05:38:02 PM »
Darling Kelly,

I am sorry for your hurting little self!

(((gentle hugs))) to you!

Janna

YICKelly

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 06:09:57 PM »
Thanks, I am beginning to feel a bit better.  I was thinking that maybe it was a SjS thing.  Actually, maybe hoping it was! LOL 

Patze

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 06:28:55 PM »
Hi Kelly,

Normally it's not too bad until I tried to donate blood, couldn't do it as I coagulated so fast that the RC told me not to bother trying again (I later learned that I have an inherited blood disorder).  The worst draw was an arterial test, oh my, the pain was unbelievable and the nurse said that my blood would not flow; I don't ever want to repeat that test. :'(

( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( Lots of Gentle H U G S !!!!! ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) )

Anyway, hang in there and I sure hope that you feel better soon!!!!

Patze
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 06:32:40 PM by Patze »
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 08:43:03 PM »
Just out of curiosity have you been a little more dehydrated? Sometimes that will make a blood draw worse. Also, did the put warm packs or a heating pad on your arm to make the blood vessels relax and increase in size. Some people just have bad veins.

Mine used to be so good but I have gained weight and now they can hardly be seen. Irish ;D

salsen

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 12:05:08 AM »
My husband and a few members of his family are like that.  He has tried to donate blood in the past but they have too much trouble finding a vein or to get the blood to flow.  Myself I am just the opposite.   

Debora

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 01:42:24 PM »
I also have trouble with my veins.  It seems like each time I get blood drawn I end up with a huge black and blue bruise. 

One place I used to go, the lady told me I have "rolling veins" because she was having a hard time.  A couple of months later I went back to her and told her that I was told I have "rolling veins", she then told me there is no such thing and it probably was an excuse for a bad job......I didn't dare tell her it was her that told me......

I do try to be really hydrated when getting blood tests!

debora

YICKelly

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 06:23:38 PM »
Patze - don't think I ever want that test either!!

Yes, I know to drink lots of water the day before - not that I can drink much more than I do everyday!  They did use the hot packs when I remembered to ask for them. 

Debora - I get all black and blue too.  I know that you have to be careful what you say to some of the techs/nurses.  I told one once that I could be a 'hard stick' and she got all huffy and told me I was telling her how to do her job - and then throw the needle at my arm - litereally!! I told the hospital (I was in at the time) that I didn't want her in my room again.

So, I guess I am just one of the lucky ones that have bad veins and it has nothing to do with SjS.   Thanks everyone.

Debora

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 08:09:10 PM »
Hi Kelly

I tend to blame all the ailments on Sjogrens, I guess its "good for something"   :P

God Bless
Debora

songbird

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 09:56:50 PM »
I have the same problem with I had an mri yesterday and they couldnt get a vein for the contrast. The tech actually asked about diabetes, kidney failure &dialysis ( i have none ). But even when I was pregnant they always had trouble finding a good vein on me. Said I had old people veins. Never thought about it might be related to SJS but of course I didnt know I had it back then. But I also know when ever I go to the GP she always talks about being  dehydrated. Im just one big desert. But it must have been horrible without your meds for that length of time.  I really hope you are feeling better by now! It always seems to be something doesnt it. Its enough just trying to deal with the daily stuff without adding more ... then to not have the needed medication that at least makes it tolerable. Im so sorry!