Author Topic: Explain the terrm "Flare"  (Read 2524 times)

Wynter

Explain the terrm "Flare"
« on: June 17, 2008, 05:23:36 PM »
I heard this term mentioned several times, but don't fully understand it. Please someone explain.

joi603

Re: Explain the terrm "Flare"
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 05:46:38 PM »
Hi, Great question because I had no idea what it means until I've unfortunately experienced them (like right now)  There are times when you feel great, sjogrens goes into "remission", you dont feel sick at all.  And there are times that it feels you have been hit by a truck and have various symptoms. Like for me I've felt great for about a month and the last week my joints and muscles and sore and painful.
If you dont know what a "flare" is b/c you havent experienced them...good for you! Your lucky. If you have experienced them, im sorry.

Pooh

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 07:35:06 PM »
Hi There,
A "flare" is when all your symptoms suddenly increase and nothing seems to relieve them.  This is usually something that happens after you have really overdone your activities or something stressful has happened.  Most of the time there is no ryhme or reason, it "flares".  Just the inflammation of your joints and everything else wants attention.............right NOW!

Some times just your regular meds and rest will calm it down, while other times another med is added to slow it down.  With me, my rheumy prescribes a round of Predisone to quell the inflammation. 

This is my version of a flare, I'm sure there are others.  ;)

Pooh 

quiger

• Sjogrens Staff
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 08:11:19 PM »
Flares can be a little different for different people, but most are like Pooh described. The symptoms seem to greatly intensify, the fatigue feels overwhelming, and some areas that don't normally hurt, may hurt during a flare. My back never bothers me normally but when a flare is starting my back is the first to start hurting.  Like Joi said, you can sometimes feel like you got hit by a truck, a big one. Overdoing it, illness, surgery, basically any kind of trauma to the body, even season changes can bring one on. I swear sometimes they seem to hit for no reason. One nasty culprit to bring on a flare is stress. Flares can also vary in intensity from mild to severe and can also vary in how long they last.

So, if you ever find yourself asking "what the heck happened?" it's probably a flare. If you do have a bad flare, the doc can help with meds. You need to try to rest and take extra good care of yourself during a flare to try keep it from getting worse and hopefully shorten it's visit.

I sure hope you never have to experience one.

quiger
Check out the info on the home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html

Wynter

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 08:36:18 AM »
I must be experiencing one now. I haven't been officially diagnosed, but yesterday my primary doc says he thinks I have it. I guess part of it's my fault because I didn't get the lip biopsy in May. Now, it's scheduled for June 30. Stress have been part of my life for the past 2 years and I guess it starting take a toll on my body.

From your information, I think I am in  flare now. It seems when I sit the pressure bothers my pelvic area and it extrememly soar. The primary said it problably some form of tendonitis or nerve problems. He prescibed neurotin, and it helps a little. I hope this goes away.

Weird stuff!