Author Topic: Uncontrollable shivering but not cold  (Read 22014 times)

mompain

Uncontrollable shivering but not cold
« on: May 07, 2008, 03:16:36 PM »
I am not sure that I am putting this under the correct topic, so if not, can a moderator please move it for me.

I have started uncontrollable shivering but I am not cold.  This feels like my insides are just shaking.  My hands shake and I want to wrap my arms around my body to make it stop like you do when you are cold, but I am not cold.  As a matter of fact, I will just break out in a wringing wet sweat.  What is going on here?  I was just diagnosed with Sjogren's in the last 2 months and this is something that is totally new to me and is really scary.  I feel like I do not have control of my body.  I have really been having a lot of aching and difficulty walking and moving lately and now this new shaking with it. 

Can anyone tell me if they have had this and should I call my doctor?  Thanks for all your help and encouragement that you have given me.  It means more than you know.

Cheryl

• Sjogrens Staff
Re: Uncontrollable shivering but not cold
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 04:17:50 PM »
Mompain,
   Yes, call your doctor.   I don't know the cause of your shaking (thyroid, possibly?neurological?) but it is definitely not normal.   Please get checked!
Cheryl

eyeamdry

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 05:43:31 PM »
Your thyroid comes to mind.  My daughter had Graves and also a good friend.  I remember how she explained "her insides were shaking."
Lucy
Lucy
*Dry Eye Queen
**Popsicle Queen

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 06:18:12 PM »
Mompain, do you have a fever at all?  The shivering and sweats could be a sign of infection somewhere, and I think seeing your doctor is the definitely next step. I hope you get this sorted out and start feeling better, soon.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

mompain

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 07:50:16 PM »
I appreciate your helpful comments.  I do not have any fever and it is worse first thing in the morning and after I take something for pain it gets better.  My pain level (aching feet, legs, joints, and cervical disc) is very high when I first get up so I thought maybe it was related to that.  I am just at a loss as to what is going on.  I have researched it on Google and found some things that say shivering is sometimes a symptom of Sjogren's but it really doesn't explain it in more detail.  That is why I knew I could ask some of you.  I knew you had firsthand knowledge and would be a lot more helpful. 

I will call my doctor.  I have had 1/2 of my thyroid removed years ago and take daily medication for it.  My dosage my need an adjustment as I have noticed that my hair and skin are VERY dry lately.  There may be something going on with it. 

Thank you again for your comments and help.

irish

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 10:37:32 PM »
mompain, All the others had some good suggestions. Yes, you should check with your doctor about this as it certainly is a perplexing symptom. I also have taken care of a lot of patients who would get a nervous reaction like this to their pain. Many times pain will cause strange things to happen to the body. When the pain gets under control the shivering would stop. I certainly would not label your complaint as pain though. Just another idea. Good luck. Hope you feel better. Irish ;D
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 11:11:24 PM by irish »

wordnerd

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 12:32:35 AM »
As others mentioned its always best to check with your doctor when something new comes up.

I have experienced episodes of extreme icy cold sweating.  My docs think is part of my general autonomic "weirdness".  My whole autonomic nervous system is totally out of whack.

I hope you feel better... and it will be interesting to hear what your doctor has to say.

Take care!

-Lauren