Author Topic: My 1st Visit To The Rheumy  (Read 3748 times)

RitaB

My 1st Visit To The Rheumy
« on: May 07, 2008, 04:54:05 PM »
I finally got in to the Rhuemy.  Actually my appt was originally for next month but I asked to be put on a waiting list for cancellations and got called this week.  Now it's a wait and see game. 

She, the Rheumy, did asked a lot of questions, review symptoms, history, recent tests, and wondered why the ENT did not do a biopsy (of my parotid glands which is why I was sent to the rheumy in the first place).  I told her that he kept saying that there wasn't a mass or tumor there and he couldn't do anything to help me.  She still couldn't understand why he didn't do a biopsy b/c she said my glands were pretty full. 

She is calling for a copy of the reports from the MRI that were performed on my glands last August and acted like after she gets those she will probably order a biopsy.  Then she said I needed to see an Opthamalogist for the Shirmer's test and a Rose Bengal and for the dr's opinion if I needed Restasis or plugs.  (I have to get my regular PCP get that referral for me).  She also gave me a prescription for salgens (sp?) and ordered blood tests (which have always come back negative except for thyroid tests and this past Feb was the first ever the ANA was positive and it was very weakly positive.

And I go back in 6 weeks.

So that was my first visit to the rheumy.  Mostly questions and not forthcoming on information but kinda of acting like (or assuming) that I have the sjogrens.  So we will see what she says when I go back in 6 weeks.  I did like her though and a co-worker of mine who has RA really likes her as well.

And until I am told differently, I am still "undiagnosed."  Thanks for being here everybody!

RitaB

eyeamdry

Re: My 1st Visit To The Rheumy
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 04:59:23 PM »
RitaB-This really doesn't sound like the worst "first rheumy visit."   Probably somewhere in the middle of what we see and hear on here!   ;D  I won't add my own, but now I have a rheumy I like a lot but am afraid she's going to retire soon. 

You have an RX for Salagen, which is to help with dryness.  I use it for my mouth dryness and others get some relief from dry eyes with it, but not all.   Even though your reports always came back negative before, that may not be the case now.  Good luck with your doctor and it sounds as though she has some plans for your care.  Lucy

RitaB

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 05:18:22 PM »
Thanks for the encouraging words. 

Actually, my take was that she wanted all the facts first and evidently didn't feel like she had it all plus she did not dismiss anything I told her (and that is a relief to feel like a dr believes you).

And yes, I did like her, and I hope I continue to like her (if you know what I mean b/c I really don't like going to new drs and I feel like I've been to so many).

I haven't got the salagen prescript filled yet, I know, I need to.

And eventhough I feel like she believed me, I am still prepared to be told that all of my tests are negative and there isn't enough to give me a diagnosis.  I guess going this many years with negative blood work sort of prepares you for this, doesn't it.

Oh well, she is treating the symptoms at the very least so that is good, right?

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 08:19:11 AM »
Hi Rita  :)

Getting the symptoms treated is important. I'm glad you like the rheumy and that she listened to you and believed you. A sympathetic doc makes all the difference!

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Cheryl

• Sjogrens Staff
    • Enter here for chat room:
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 05:07:23 PM »
Rita,
   It sounds as if your new doctor is very thorough and caring.   :)    I hope she can diagnose you soon for your peace of mind.   Keep us posted!   Try the Salagen.   You won't believe how much it helps your dry mouth.
Cheryl
Chat co-host on Thursdays at 8:00 Eastern time

YICKelly

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 05:12:39 PM »
Rita, I hope my first Rheumy visit is at least as good as yours!  I am glad you have someone you can talk to and feel is listening to you. Good luck on your future visits.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 08:24:50 PM »
Rita, Sounds like she covered the right bases and is being proactive about your glands and the biopsy. Also good that she wants you to see the other docs and ordered the Salogen. I thought it was a good help. I did divide my tabs up and only took 1/2 dose and the full strength dose was just too much for me as I am drug sensitive.Irish ;D