Author Topic: Are others Chemically sensitive?  (Read 4065 times)

kathylee

Are others Chemically sensitive?
« on: May 01, 2008, 02:19:10 PM »
I talked about the "meltdown" I had after moving when my daughter(s) got mad at me about not doing more is in my mind. We'll now I know this had something to do with something I ate. Yesterday I had another 'oversensitive day'. I was hyper and anxious and freezing and was awake way too late lastnite.

irish

• Global Moderator
Re: Are others Chemically sensitive?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 08:54:49 PM »
Kathy, Are you keeping a journal of what you are eating??? Sometimes it can be one food or a certain chemical in the food. Many people have trouble with the bisufites that are used in food processing. Sometimes even the canned goods will have this. I try to avoid it as it has bothered me in the past. Also, it is in wine and that will get to me.

Sometimes people will get a hyper feeling when they eat something that produces a reaction. You may need to visit a doc that specalizes in allergies and chemical sensitivity. Make sure that it is someone like an immunologist who has a special interest in this area. Irish ;D

Pooh

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 11:30:16 PM »
Kathy are you taking any new medication?  It could be a reaction to a medication or the combination of something with your meds. 

I agree with Irish about keeping track of what you eat and drink.  Also in relation to eating and when you take your meds. 

You might find a link to something that is causing this.  If it continues, please talk to your doctor about it.

Pooh

aussie mum

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 01:59:24 PM »
Hi Kathylee,

My husband (who does not have SJS) is wheat and dairy intolerant as wall as being sensitive to natural and artifical chemicals found in foods. Who would have thought that eating fruit and vegetables could make you sick??? He has been living on the elimination diet for about 3 years and while it is a bit boring, he feels well.

There is so much that the medial profession don't know about this.

Please have a look at this great Australian website www.fedupwithfoodadditives.info. They have some great information regarding all the supposedly safe chemicals which are added to our foods and have heaps of recipies too.

I am constantly amazed at what the food companies can get away with and we consumers suffer.

Good luck.. hope you feel better soon.

Aussiemum
Daughter - SJS, Lupus, Underactive Thyroid, Wolff Parkinson White Syndrome & Insulin Resistance.

Me - Ankylosing Spondylitis, Total Thyroidectomy, Endometriosis, Adenomyosis, High Blood Pressure, Hiatus Hernia, Dry Eyes & Mouth, Stomach Issues, Enbrel, Thyroxine, Atacand, Pariet, Krill Oil, Vit D

Shari

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 01:10:47 PM »
Hi Kathylee~~There are a lot of us who are sensitive to many medications so probably to foods or additives also.  I wanted to buy sugarfree yogurt only to discover they had aspertane in them.  I have since found the right one for me.  One half of a small one serving size made my head feel like the back of it was going to just blow right off and my neck hurt so badly.

The next night I ate the other half and the same thing happened so I read the ingridiants.  I stay far away from that  additive.  ( as well as others)

Hoping you get this all figured out~~We all want you to feel happiness.  ~~Shari~~

kathylee

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 01:08:04 PM »
Hi Irish,
Thanks for the feed back. Any suggestions for finding such a doctor. I've been seen by two ( actually three if you count the student doctor that just keep saying " and why are here? And are you depressed?) That was at the University of Iowa hospital. My main doctor there finally intervened after I showed her the results of the breathing test thing they sent home with me and got me an inhaler, but I'm too chemically sensitive to use that of course it doesn't work for hyper. I had to go to my old allergist for just basic food  and mold testing but she said there was nothing more she could do. My only hope at this point is my accupuncturist who is an MD. He said he does treatment for MCS but it would take a long time. AND at $95 a session I only get to see every 6 weeks. I went on line but but Have found such a doc locally yet.

Kathylee PS, I currently only have access to this site Tuesday thru Friday on my breaks at work. Trying to get on line ASAP at home but it will probably be end of month.

kathylee

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 01:41:54 PM »
About asparatame,
One of my comfort food is decaf diet coke. The myathenia gravis scare almost got me to stop......but with my recent move I am back to it. I have realized that it may be more than comfort....the thought of eating without it nauseates me. I think I have some low level nausea I may have had for years and the sweet carbonation helps. I'd sure appreciate any thoughts/suggestions that could help me wean off the stuff.

salsen

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 10:50:21 PM »
Kathy    I have become super sensitive to many of the medications I have been given.  I am not sure why but suddenly I seem to break out with hives and itching with the least amount of provocation.  One med my neuro was very surprised  with because hives are not even listed as a side effect because the incident % is so low.  Sure enough though when I got off of the medicine the hives cleared up.   

Makes sense though since our immune system is on high alert and seems to want to attack anything and every thing that is perceived to be a danger.  I would love to be able to raise a white flag and have a peace treaty with me and my immune system even if it were for just a a  month or so.   It sure would be nice!

Gerri

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 05:21:08 AM »
Hi Kathylee

I cannot have any medication for pain, depression, because of severe allergies to sulfa, sulfite's, sulfates, sulfur and/or derivatives.

Now I cannot have any medication that is going to cause further damage to my liver.

Something is causing my liver damage.  Everything you eat, drink has metabysulfites (etc).  Bread, process food, dried fruit, and everything has eggs (whole egg) in it and so you have sulfur, sulfite's as a preservative.  The yoke are a no no.

I am being checked for  celiac disease, Lupus, sjogren's diagnosed by dentist but not confirmed by other test.

Hugs

Gerri

Shari

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 06:19:33 PM »
Kathylee~~~I would think that the craving is more mental than physical.  They (whoever they are) say that any habit can be broken is 23 days.  Can you get through 23 days without.  Or maybe allow every other day for a spell.  Just a gradual cut down may work.  Good luck...I need to cut down on a lot of things!!

Gerri~~~I'm just curious how you feel with your liver not working properly??  thanks

~~Shari~~