Author Topic: What can you take for a cold?  (Read 2795 times)

mspetnurse

What can you take for a cold?
« on: April 29, 2008, 07:32:03 PM »
I have a terrible cold, with a temp of 100 (my normal temp is 97.3), my eyes are red and burning (using more drops but still burn because of the fever), my mouth and lips are very dry (biotene helps a little).

Because of the Sjogren's and Hashi's, I know it's not good to take anything that is going to stimulate the immune system too much... so what is good to take? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Oh, I am also insulin resistant, and have to watch the sugars too.

Thank you,

Martha

Pooh

Re: What can you take for a cold?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 08:00:42 PM »
Martha,
I'm so sorry you feel so lousy.  But I'm afraid we can't suggest medication for you to take.  You really should consult your GP.  He/she knows your medical background and is better to prescribe and suggest treatment.

I hope you feel better soon.

Pooh

wordnerd

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 10:01:30 PM »
Martha,

Colds are miserable!  I second Pooh that you should check in with your GP.  Also you might want to ask if its okay for you to take Musinex.  I'm on it all the time and it really helps thin out congestion.  But you should definitly check with your doctor to make sure you won't aggravate any of your health issues or have any interactions with your meds.

Feel better!

-Lauren

mspetnurse

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 07:15:58 PM »
I guess I worded that wrong. I wasn't necessarily wanting to know something specific to take right now, I just wanted to know what works with autoimmune stuff. It would be next week before I could get in to see my GP, and she is not that great dealing with the autoimmune anyway, and I am between rheumatologist.

I have mucinex, but am not congested right now. I'm not coughing, just have a very runny nose. My fever is better today though.

I am taking extra vitamin C, and some zinc.

Sorry, didn't mean to cause a problem. I guess I should have said, what should I avoid.

Martha
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 07:21:09 PM by mspetnurse »