Author Topic: Surgery and Sjogren's  (Read 4315 times)

Redetha

Surgery and Sjogren's
« on: April 21, 2008, 04:52:13 PM »
I have had both of my knees scoped.  I am still having swelling and pain in the knee area.   It is not necessarily in the area where Dr. entered my knee. I have been back to my Ortho and am receiving Physical therapy.   While it is better than before and I am walking better, I think I should be healing faster...over 6 months now. Does anyone know if Sjogren's tends to become worse in the area of surgery ?  Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 04:55:17 PM by Redetha »

YICKelly

Re: Surgery and Sjogren's
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 05:09:34 PM »
I know my knee replacement is taking forever to feel normal - been 2 years!  There is a discussion about slower healing times going on in the introduce yourself section too.

eyeamdry

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 09:56:24 PM »
Redetha, it's possible that the scope did not fix the problem.  I had a knee replacement 5 years ago.  At first, the doc tried the scope which just made things worse.   I was back at work hobbling with crutches etc worse than before the scope.  It was finally decided that I needed a knee replacement.  Actually, it's a half-knee (but I get tired of telling people what IT is).  It took a couple of years to settle down and now at 5 years is doing ok.  I probably had Sjogrens all this time, but did not know it.  Docs said it was osteoarthritis. 

You didn't say what your problem was, so I can't tell if this is where you may be headed.  The surgery is no worse than trying to keep living with a joint that's worn out and worn down.  Lucy

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 11:54:16 AM »
Hi redetha  :)

Like Lucy - I had a partial knee replacement. I had it a year past November and no one would ever guess I'd been walking with a cane for about a year and a half before that. The partial replacement, in my case, was a huge success. they'd 'scoped' my knee first to see if they could 'tidy things up' but when they went in they discovered what they thought was Grade 3 osteoarthritis was actually Grade 4. No cartilidge, bone on bone and both bone ends worn down as well.

It put the pain I have now into perspective. What I have now is discomfort. That knee was PAIN!

It could be that they couldn't 'tidy up' your knees either.

I've heard people say that doc's aren't keen on replacement joint surgery until people are in their mid sixties or even seventies. I was 54. On an arthritis board I frequent I know people have had it done in their 30s.

If you do have joint replacements it's very important to subsequently do the physical therapy, which is arduous and painful but well worth doing for a good result and effective healing.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

eyeamdry

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 01:41:28 PM »
Scottie is right about young people having knee replacements.  If you're 30-something with a knee that's shot and you're walking crippled with crutches, soon your shoulder joints will be going etc.  Scottie, I too, have read about young people getting a new joint.  If you need to seek another opinion, that seems to be the way to go.  I was old enough, lol, and had no problem. 

Actually a person in their 30's and 40's have more going on than in later decades and it makes sense to me to get the most out of the younger decades.  Lucy

Redetha

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 05:14:53 PM »
Thank you everyone for your comments...I will soon be 59 and proud of every year.. I am not in severe pain now.  I was before the scope.  My biggest problem is becoming stiff after sitting for a period of time and feeling sore.  I do think my physical therapy has helped a lot.  Anyway, I am just hanging in and moving OK.  I teach school and can't retire for a couple of years yet so I want to feel as well as possible.  Yesterday, I felt as if I was on the mend, great movement and not much stiffness.  Everyone, please keep me in your prayers and hope that better days are ahead.   :)

LenV

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 08:37:27 PM »
I had my left knee scoped and repaired twice then finally had both knees completely replaced.  I'd walked bone on bone for too many years waiting to be old enough for knee replacements.  Finally, the ortho said "This is it..you're old enough."  Never thought I'd like getting older.  But I'd had pain for so many years.  But what we didn't know then was that I was seronegative for Rheumatoid Arthritis and replacing the knees only took away part of my pain.  They still swell (left one) and still get stiff.  But then so is everything else in my body.  Keep that knee moving while it is healing so that you don't get adhesions.  And good luck.

Billye