Author Topic: Scared - something new & very different  (Read 6692 times)

eyeamdry

Scared - something new & very different
« on: April 19, 2008, 07:11:39 PM »
If this doesn't go here, sorry.  I just realized how serious something could be.  I have had a sore right elbow for about 2 days.  The elbow also has a small patch of psoraisis on it at the point of the soreness.  Only mentioning that in case it's important.  My elbow does not hurt to bend, and I can bend and straighten with no problem.  If I sit my elbow on a table, chair arm, etc. it's very sore.  This is annoying, but I thought nothing to worry about.

Earlier today, I put my left hand to my right elbow and noticed it was hot.  It's warm to the touch over the soreness.  Well, I just now looked in the mirror and saw a big red circle around my elbow where this "spot" is.  It is decidelly red and something wrong.  I have not hit my elbow, or I would remember it for it to hurt like this.   Since I saw the big red inflammation circle, I'm worried.  Need I be?  You might know it's a Saturday night..............
Lucy

irish

• Global Moderator
Re: Scared - something new & very different
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 09:48:43 PM »
Lucy, I can't really give you the answer you want---which is that I really, really know what it is. However, you sort of gave me a clue that makes me wonder. You mentioned the Psoriasis on your elbow and that this is where the red, hot area is. Have you ever been treated for psoriatic arthritis? This is not uncommon in people with psoriasis.

I do know that many years ago I had a hot, swollen knee and went to ER thinking it was rheumatic fever as had just finished 3 series of penicillin for strept throat. They did all the blood work and sent me home and turned out all the blood work was negative. I spent a week in bed. The doc said it could have been a viral arthritis, but all these years later I now know that it was something autoimmune.

I guess my feeling is to take your temperature, take something for the pain like tylenol etc and draw a circle around the area with a pen so you can monitor the size of this area. Bursitis can be really painful also and I have had tendonitis in my elbow that is really painful with warmth in the area. I don't remember if I had the redness though. The best thing to do is watch and wait and if it gets worse, etc --- you will know when to throw in the towel and head off to ER. Good luck. Irish ;D

eyeamdry

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 10:32:59 PM »
draw a circle around the area with a pen so you can monitor the size of this area.

What a genius!  I now have a circle around my elbow outlining the red, festered circle!  I'd not have thought of that in a million years.  This place is so cool, and together everyone knows so much!  I doubt this is ER material, but will check it tomorrow and if I think I need to go to ER--I will.  They wouldn't know anything about Psoraitic Arthritis there anyhow.  Wonder if my GP does.  I'll see if I can get in to see him next week if the elbow is still as is.  I'm not so worried now.  Just have to be sure to scrub the ink off my elbow.  Lucy

aprildawn

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 11:11:15 AM »
Keep the ink on there to see if it grows.  There are a number of things that can cause that. For the life of me you are describing something I have seen before and for the life of me cannot think of the name...it does have one.  Are you running a fever?  Definitely go see your md and call first thing Monday am when then open,  they always keep opening for speacial cases. ( or I should say most do).  Good luck,  If I think if it I will write back.    Aprildawn

YICKelly

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 12:05:28 PM »
After you see the doctor will you come back here and tell us what is going on, Please?

jackieinnj

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 07:38:07 PM »
Lucy,

Just a thought - you might want to ask your doctor to do a culture for MRSA.  It is so common these days and nothing to ignore.  I'm not sure what psoriasis looks like, but MRSA can start out very red and sometimes looks like a little pimple.

Best of luck to you!

Jackie

eyeamdry

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 07:04:23 PM »
I have not seen the doctor for this because yesterday and today, the symptoms are much less.   The red circle around my elbow has faded (and I've washed the ink away).   The bone at the end of the bent elbow is still sore, but is somewhat better.  I'll keep an eye on things the next couple of days, but it looks like it's better, whatever it is.  I do not have a fever (but I probably wouldn't have one) and don't seem to be ill.

I'll post if something turns up on this.  Otherwise, I'll just assume the psoraisis on my elbow was inflamed, or something not too dangerous.  Lucy

gurs

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 06:56:29 AM »
Lucy,

I have the same exact thing going on. I noticed it as soon as my hormones changed and Im guessing my Sjogrens flared. I def think its Psoriasis, or autoimmune related. I cant believe how tender to the touch they are? I'm going back to my rheumy in a month and will ask her.

Gurs
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

eyeamdry

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 01:03:08 PM »
Gurs, I see the rheumy in May and will also ask her about this.  Mine is better now, but the psoraisis patch is still there (of course).  The whole elbow was inflamed with a big red circle and tender to the touch, even the elbow "bone" was sore.

gurs

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 06:38:30 AM »
That is strange...I have the same exact thing? the bone is so tender to the touch, and both elbows are circled in red...knee's are getting the same way..It def sounds like Psoriasis to me.
Its the same everyday, red and its very painful..let me know what you find out.

Gurs
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

Shari

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 05:24:49 PM »
I hope this settles down for the both of you soon.  I do not know a lot about Psoriasis but we do think that my grandson has a patch on his back.  He will be seeing his doc soon.

Take good care  ~~Shari~~