Author Topic: Swelling Under Chin????  (Read 7943 times)

mompain

Swelling Under Chin????
« on: April 19, 2008, 05:22:06 PM »
I have only recently been diagnosed with Sjogren's but have had a problem with the area underneath my chin for the past 6 to 8 months.  I look like I am swollen and have a double chin and I have never had this before.  It seems like it is getting bigger and bigger.  The area close to both of my ears and where my saliva glands are located is sore.  Is this a part of Sjogren's?  I have done a lot of reading and really haven't found anything that talks about this.  I have gained some weight and have thought that it was that but it hasn't been here and been this big the whole time I have had this extra weight.  As I said, it just seems to be getting bigger. 

Can anyone let me know if they have read anything about this or have personally had this to happen?  It may just be my extra weight, but I am not convinced that it is.

Thank you.

Linda196

• Administrator
Re: Swelling Under Chin????
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 05:59:28 PM »
There are saliva glands under the jaw line (submandibular), and toward the front of the floor of the mouth (sublingual) in addition to the parotid glands in front of the ears. They can become swollen and painful, just like the parotids.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

YICKelly

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 06:16:37 PM »
Yes, that is what got me to the doctor and finally got the SjS DX.  My ENT said that just like arthritis flares it will go down and swell back up.  Mine only give me pain once in a while, just a nusiance feeling.

Redetha

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 07:04:20 PM »
Please have the soreness at parotid gland checked.  I had a stone which I finally passed.  If I had not passed it, I would have had to have surgery.  My doctor, ENT, who treats my swelling of parotid glands -- fussed at me.. He said if it is sore for more than 24-36 hours I am to call and get appt immediately.  I paid the price for now going in earlier.  So check with your doctor.  My trust mine and feel he is on top of things.  I see both an ENt and Rheumie.