Author Topic: Been awhile  (Read 2609 times)

Vholley

Been awhile
« on: April 18, 2008, 10:01:41 AM »
Hi everyone! I haven't been on here for awhile due to school. I've been so busy trying to finish  :P Anyway, I'm just wondering what exactly does Prednisone do? My Rheum. gave me 5mg and told me to take 1 everyday as needed. When I was taking it I did not notice anything good or bad. So I quit taking it. Was that a good idea? For the past month I have been waking up with back pain. It feels like I slept with someone's knee in my back all night. I don't know what to do. Any suggestions? ???

Debora

Re: Been awhile
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 11:39:34 AM »
Hi Vholley

My rhuematologist has me take prednisone as needed, when I am in a flare then I am on it for a month.  I do notice a difference when I am on it for awhile, I have more energy and don't hurt so much.  (I have osteo and rhuematoid arthritis).

My rhuemy explained in easy words that it helps settle down my body when everything is out of control, its like having a million ping-pong balls in a small room bouncing all over the place and the prednisone helps control it!

I hope that will help you somewhat.  When I take it for a long period of time, I have to taper off of it. 
It would be a good idea to talk to your doctor about it, This last flare I had that lasted many months I had to double up on the prednisone, which I wasn't happy about, it makes me gain even more weight, but it did help!

Take Care
Debora