Author Topic: Blue Badge -uk, anyone applied??  (Read 3014 times)

joyous

Blue Badge -uk, anyone applied??
« on: April 18, 2008, 05:30:29 AM »
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has applied for a Blue Badge and whether or not it was successful or not. for those not in UK, a Blue Badge allows you to park in disabled spaces, as well as get 100% discount on the congestion charge which is usually £8 for a day to enter central London. It would be very useful for me especially getting into work as Im finding getting to work via the tube is extremely hard for me espcially during the rush hour. Even though driving into work would take longer, it would be less stressful and I wont feel exhausted and drained by the time I arrive to work. Also when i start going to Uni it will be the same thing as my University is also in Central london and hard to get to. I would not use the badge when I dont need to as some days im not bad and would not like to use up disable spaces for no reason.

i know that getting a blue badge is very hard, and was wondering if anyone in the UK has been successful in this application. If so could i possibly get some guidance into what to write in the application form. Thanks in advance !!!

Joyous x

mim

Re: Blue Badge -uk, anyone applied??
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 06:32:44 AM »
Hi Joy

I have anot pplied for a blue badge just DLA and was truned down for that.

Let me know how you get on though

Mim

rosielj

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 08:07:16 AM »
Yes, I got the blue badge, I got it through having DLA so all I had to do was tick that I get the mobility allowance on the form. My Doctor told me about the blue badge scheme, I had never thought of it because at the time I wrongly thought it was just for people with wheelchairs, but he said that the chronic fatigue should be reason enough, and I must say it changed my life. I have lupus and just diagnosed this year with Sjogrens (though probably had it for years) I know quite a few people who have got the blue badge who didn't get DLA I would go for it if I were you.
Regards
Rosie

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 05:44:52 PM »
Hi

I got a blue badge but was turned down flat for DLA. It says on the blurb that you can't get it id awaiting joint replacements - which I was at the time. Walking was really difficult.

I was honest on the form: said that I was awaiting a joint replacement and listed the other things that were wrong, mentioning severe fatigue, a tendancy to fall over and also photosensitivity which makes waiting around at bus stops hard.

I was granted one anyway. Since my knee replacement I only ever use it if there are loads of disabled spaces available. Really I should give it back - but then there are the bad days.

Good luck. They are worth applying for.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

wen.uk

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 02:15:02 PM »
Thanks for this thread - I've just got the forms through to apply for DLA after been advised to apply for it by my sister who works at a Carer's centre.  I'll try the DLA route first and if this is unsuccessful go by the blue badge route.

I'd be interested to know how many others have successfully qualified for DLA, as well as the blue badge.

I'll keep you all posted.

Wen