Author Topic: For anyone who keeps forgetting the chats...  (Read 5857 times)

wordnerd

For anyone who keeps forgetting the chats...
« on: April 11, 2008, 09:19:51 PM »
I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but I was always forgetting to go to the online chats while they were happening.  So since I'm not only a wordnerd but a computer nerd  :o, I wrote a little program to solve my problem.  Here's what it does...

Right before each of the scheduled chat times a little window pops up asking if I want to go to the Sjogren's World Chat.  If I click no, nothing happens.  If I click yes, it takes me directly to the chat login page.

Pretty handy for those brainfog days (aka everyday for me lately  ;D ).  I thought other members might find it useful too.

So if you have a Mac (sorry Windows members!) and would like a copy, PM me and I'll set up a place to download it from and walk you through getting it set up (which is really really easy even if you're technologically challenged).

See everyone in chat!

-Lauren

Pooh

Re: For anyone who keeps forgetting the chats...
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 10:24:48 PM »
Lauren how nice of you to do this.  I for one could always use extra help with my "brain fog". 

Thanks for the offer.

Pooh

Bummer, I have Windows! :(

genko_b

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 08:31:44 AM »
For those who have not tried the chats, they are a really nice thing to do - almost like joining folks for coffee. Unfortunately for me, I am scheduled to teach at the same time as each of the chats, and so only rarely am able to join in.

Genko

Shari

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 05:07:10 PM »
Thanks Lauren!!  but I have windows also :(  Sounds like a handy option to have! ~~Shari~~
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 05:57:31 PM by Shari »

wordnerd

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 05:10:25 PM »
Your welcome!  Sorry I don't have a Windows version, but I've been a Mac convert for a while now and haven't looked back.  Take care!

-Lauren

Rania

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 05:27:21 PM »
I have written on a piece of paper the actual chat times (my time zone), and hat note is sticked on the left side of my computerscreen. I think I remember the chat scedule by now, but a remindr is very good. When that note is there right in front of me, I just have to see it.

Another way of making it to the chat, is to actually set your cell phone on sceduled chat times, and make the phone give a signal at every chat every week. The chat you are able to join if you're home that is. . If you're able to chat when the phone ring and say there is a chat in X number of minutes or hours, then join.

These two methods has helped me. But often I have to skip chat due to dizzyness. I cannot handle well to see the printed chat roll down the screen well. It has been so for a while, but I've been in chat a couple of times this year still.

Rania  :)

lynnmarie219

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 11:00:10 AM »
Hi Lauren....How nice of you!

And how creative as well......thanks for the offer! (I'm another Windows user  ;) )

Rania...you have a good idea as well with the cell phone...I use mine alot for reminders when I'm out and about....it has helped me "remember" many things!  :D

kimbo

• Love never fails
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008, 08:48:17 PM »
Hey Lauren, Thats thoughtful of you. I tried it a few evenings back. I was the awkward one who went from kimbo to kimboo to get my nickname excepted.
then I found I couldn't read, think, or type fast enough. All my ?,s  became blank thoughts. I tucked my tail and exited. Thank you for your help then. Next time maybe I will feel more prepared.
kimbo
Diagnosed March of 2007. SJS/ RA Positive at 80  International-SSA strongly positive at 811-SSB 273
ANA positive at 1:1280
Hashimoto's
Gabapentin, propanol, Celebrex, Synthroid, Cytomel, vitamin D, B complex, Omega 3 complex, and multi vitamins; At 62, I seem to be a low maintenance sjog

Shari

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2008, 08:57:18 PM »
Yes~~~Try again Kimbo!  The first time I was on I typed a response and did not know what button to push or what to click on to send it.  Everyone was wondering why I did not say anything!  I was sitting here saying out loud, " I,m here!!!!"  Take care and see you in chat   ~~Shari~~

genko_b

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2008, 09:47:37 PM »
Don't worry about spelling and also it is fine to just listen and then not respond except once in a while.

Genko

Rania

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2008, 03:50:44 AM »
Kimbo, I often fall behind in chat, and have to read over again several lines above the answer I give. And sometimes the comments from different people in chat overlap, an answer to a completely other question end up right behind a sad comment and so on.

In example I have experienced this: A person said something positive, and I replied "how wonderful". But before I managed to press the button and send my "how wonderful" reply, someone else wrote something sad, and that comment made it to the screen right before mine, so it semmed like I said "how wonderful" to something someone else wrote and that just wasn't wonderful.

So try again. It is nice in chat. I trust in people that they ask if they don't understand what I say. English is not my first language. I keep repeating that, because a lot of new people come in here. So just in case I phrase a sentence weird or something, please know that I'm not English speaking in daily life.  ;) I'll do my best, but sometimes things translated from my language to English look very weird!

I once felt like I had been hit by a truk. I hurt everywhere, and wrote in another board that I felt like "I am knocked up"!! No, I wasn't pregnant, but also I wasn't aware that "knocked up" is kind of a slang way of saying you're pregnant!  :-[  ;D So I better watch what I type!!  ;D

So join chat again, type your message, and send it by pressing the "enter" button on the keyboard.

Rania  :)

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2008, 05:01:36 AM »
By all means, everyone...ignore typing and spelling, forgive what appears to be the occasional faux pas, and just enjoy chatting. For those of you who are new to it, never worry about keeping up...if you want to reply to something, just do it; if it falls a ways down the chat, or it looks like the subject has changed, don't worry about it. If you have a question, even if you don't think it "fits" with the current chat, ask it! If it gets missed, ask again, maybe it was just swallowed up in the text...I'm sure someone will try to answer you.

Rania, we've all answered an overlap at an inappropriate time, it happens when there are several conversations going on...no one would think you were answering a sad post with "wonderful", we know it isn't your nature. Sometimes it happens when the subject is changed in the blink of an eye, sometimes one persons connection is "lagged" so their responses come later than they type them.

I personally love the differences in slang and usage in different languages...they make for some pretty interesting chats! One year when our hospital was host to a large number of international nurses for several months, we compiled a "translation" manual..."knock up" was one of the ones we had the most fun with. In the UK apparently it means "wake me" so knock me up in the morning had a totally different meaning for our gals from the UK than the ones from the US! Even names for soft drinks demanded an entry...we could ask for soda, coke, fizz, pop, or soft drink, and all get the same thing.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

wordnerd

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2008, 03:30:15 PM »
Yes I hope everyone comes again.  It gets easier with practice.  We all get lost or type something too late now and then.  I may be a word nerd, but I turn off my internal grammar check for chats  ;D

kelsey

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2008, 01:18:17 PM »
Hi there all you others who felt you were not coping with the live chats. What with very sore eyes and fingers that wouldn't go fast enough and the fact that it was through the night I felt at a loss on my one and only attempt.  The scrolling screen was also difficult but you have all made me feel better about it and next time my eyes will allow I will sign in even if I don't contribute.(There was lots of chat about bluebirds and I had never heard of them so checked it out with friends who informed me bluebirds were in America!)Keep smiling and chatting, kelsey

YICKelly

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2008, 03:30:44 PM »
Yes, we all have to start somewhere.   I think it took three people and about 5 trys to get me into a chat.  And I do it all the time on other sites!!  I will be back anyway!  Although I did say I would be back this week and have found I will be out of town when the chat is, so I will try again next week.