Author Topic: Tired in Medication thread, so will try in general disease group  (Read 5567 times)

ktfabian

Hi,

I don't know whether I can blame this on my recent rituxan treatments, or if it's just Sjogren's in general.  I just had the the two treatments 2 weeks apart,as planned.  The first trip down, I was feeling just kind of down in the dumps.  My husband and I made a picnic to eat to pass the time away during the day (it takes about 7 hours all together). He took off for a walk and to do some sight seeing while I was hooked up to the infusion, so I ate the lunch they brought along (pretty awful) as well as some of what we packed.

On our way home, the car (which had been acting up after car #1 died completely) started acting up while we stopped at one of my favorite scrapbooking stores, so I ended up sitting in the car reading while Joe put the third alternator of the week in the car in a pooring rain about halfway between home and the hospital (a 2-3/4 hour trip one way).  I came home feeling kind-of lousy and  didn't really pick up in the 2 weeks between treatment..

My cat got quite sick the following week, and we took him to the vet.  He had to stay and I went back by myself the next day.  I'd gotten him settled in the car and went to start it, and sure as ****, the stupid thing didn't start.  I was parked into the corner of a corral, so I tried pushing the car out to where it could be jumped. Took  me, a vet. tech and the vet's Mom to move the car enough to get it into position to charge it.  I got it home, but the next day, my chest (both sides) shoulders were black and blue and I felt lower than ever.  I figured it was the medicines making me feel so blue, but I'm not sure it wasn't the look of my chest and breasts in such lovely shades of blue, black and green that made my day. They still look particularly ugly.

We went back for Rituxan #2 this past week and the car managed to make it both ways.  My husband has been laid off for 2 weeks now, we owe $400 for the vet and I'm having a hard time dealing with this latest round of Rituxan.  I've been SO tired and SO emotional, just breaking into tears without warning.  Then, I went out to eat with my son's girlfriend Friday and actually fell asleep while she was talking to me in the restaurant.

I know the Rituxan is strong medicine and that, even tho we're receiving less than cancer patient's do, we've still got alot of chemicals going in our bodies, but I have to wonder if that's what's causing the all over the place emotions or the all over the place happenings in our family right now.  we're into our second week of hubby being laid off, and while he's already set to receive unemployment, there's still some fear about what happens if this goes on for too much longer.

So should I be blaming life, Rituxan or a combination there of for the low down, tired out blues I've been feeling in the past 2 weeks.

I'm up for suggestions, Tracy

Pooh

Re: Tired in Medication thread, so will try in general disease group
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 11:13:00 AM »
Tracy, WOW!  Wish I knew what to tell you.  I was always told that "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade", but what life has been handing you for the past couple weeks, won't particularly help to make anything but the flowers grow. ;D

It could be the Rituxan, it could be the stress of the car, hubby and cat, or a combination of all of the above.  I wish I could say something to help you, but about the only thing I can offer is, come here and rant, yell, cry or scream all you want and let it out. 

We will be here for you any time. 

(((((((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))))))))
Pooh

wordnerd

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 11:21:29 AM »
Tracy,

I'm so sorry your going through such a stressful time!  All the life issues alone are enough to make anyone feel stressed out and depressed.  Feeling sick on top of it certainly doesn't help.

Do you see a psychiatrist?  No matter what's causing you to feel so down, an antidepressant can help get us through these stressful times.  My psychiatrist has bumped up my meds because of all the stress I'm going through in my family life and with my health.  It really helped.  I would really recommend you see someone about this.  You don't have to suffer feeling this way.  Even if its from the Rituxan... I was started on antidepressants in prep for a 2 month steroid treatment because they make me soo depressed.

Anyway... *hugs*  We are all here for you!  I have a lot of experience dealing with depression (along with OCD, anxiety, and ADD) so if there's anything more specific that I could share with you that might help let me know.

-Lauren

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 12:33:10 PM »
Hi Tracy  :)

It sounds to me like it could be a whole combination of things. You have things happening that would get a well person down and when you're sick everything gets that bit harder to cope with.

Obviously you can come and vent in here any time you want but I think this is something you need to talk over with your doc. I don't know if they can add anti-depressants to the mix or not plus possibly some counselling. It can be really good to talk things through with someone who has no emotional involvement but has an empathetic ear.

(((((( Tracy )))))))

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

genko_b

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 01:35:25 PM »
That is a lot of stress at once. It sounds like you have some good suggestions here, and I can't add anything, except another hug.

Genko

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 09:13:22 PM »
Tracy, If it was me I wouldn't even attempt to figure any of this out. You know what happens and most of the time we don't know why. I do know that you need to just try and roll with it the best you can because you need all the strength you can muster to deal with the infusions and your health.

I would venture to guess that most of us on this site have been through the unemployment stuff at one time or another. It is never fun and all I can say is that it is amazing what we can do without when we have to. Hopefully, your hubby will be called back to work. I am hoping when spring comes that the economy gives a little spurt. We don't expect a full economic boom, but it would be nice if things would sort of mellow out. All of my kids and spouses are being affected in one way or another. We kept telling them that bad times affect all generations but I think they thought that it would skip them. They were wrong.

I know that you are on antidepressants and sometimes it helps to have the doc increase them and other times it just helps to get out and walk or try to do things that don't cost money and get your mind off of things. Good luck and hope things improve for you. Irish ;D

ree031

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 01:00:45 AM »
Hi Tracy,

I don't have anything to say to help with your medical situation, as I have no idea.  :(

I just wanted to send you lots of hugs and wish you well. It is really hard when dealing with our health issues and then all of a sudden have all these other other extras that life throws your way.

So, give your self some TLC and the rest will work out itself, with or without you stressing.

Take Care,

Ree.  :D

ktfabian

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 03:10:47 PM »
Thanks all for the good thoughts and good advice.

I heard from my rheumatologist today.  He said that, even tho I started having panic attacks the morning after my second Rituxan infusion, it's unlikely the meds are to blame.  My husband thinks it has more to do with the fact that this is the time of year 2 years ago, that we got word my Dad had inoperable lung cancer.  My youngest was about to graduate from High School and so much was going on, my Dad didn't want anyone to come visit right away.

He went through radiation to try and get more comfortable, then in July, the day after I had a complete hysterectomy, he had his first chemotherapy treatment. (At the hospital where I go for my rituxan infusion, they just refer to it as a chemo treatment since that's basically what the medicine is, as I understand it, only in a much lower dose)

Anyway, my Dad felt ok and sent my sister home who was caring for him.  The following Wednesday, one week after my surgery, my Dad died in Walmart while shopping with my Mom from a pulmonary embollism brought on by his first session of chemo.  I hadn't seen him in 3 years as they lives 7 hours away and I just wasn't up to making the trip to see him because of my bad back and this stupid disease.

So, that's my husband's theory and he's probably right.  I'm trying to handle the panic attacks with deep breaths and keeping busy with other stuff.  I'm getting ready to teach a scrapbooking class to family members of several Army National Guard Units in our area and have received enough donations to fill a quarter of my dining room, so I've been organizing them.  I've also started teaching classes in a couple of different crafts at AC Moore.

I just wish I could get rid of these stupid attacks.  They just hit out of the blue and even my husband can tell when they're going to hit because I start to whistle when I breath.

I have called my family doctor but she's sick and I can't get in til next week.  I left a message for my therapist.

On the positive side...my husband still has health insurance (they make sure each guy gets called in for a minimum of one rotation a month to keep the insurance going) and we got his first unemployment compensation check today.  our mortgage folks are being reasonable and so is the Trustee who's handling the bankruptcy we had to file almost 4 years ago over medical bills.

And best of all, my husband is giving me lots of support and using the time to get many of the unfinished projects around our house finished, which is a REALLY good thing.

So, I'm getting by.  Thanks again for the hugs and good wishes.  They mean so much.  My own family -as in my sisters - don't want to hear about me and my health issues, so you all have become my family!

Tracy

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 06:04:46 PM »
Tracy, You are sounding like you are getting on with your life and that is good. It is interesting that you whistle when you breath as panic attacks are coming on. Wonder what causes that????

Also, I have been through the unemployment stuff several time (myself-once) and hubby 2 times) and it is always interesting that in spite of the big black cloud there is usually a blessing that comes if one only is patient and looks for it. You have been wanting your house projects finished up and now hubby has time and energy to do it.

Also, it is great that you hubby is being more supportive of your health issues. The death of your dad so soon after your surgery is really a difficult subject because of not seeing him for 3 years. I don't know the answer to this one, but I would think that time will help with your adjustment. You will never get over losing a parent, but you will not suffer so much emotionally as the years go by.

Thankfully, the good memories are the ones that are the most significant. Time marches on and we must all just rally and keep on going. I am not trying to sound smart---it is just the way things are. We can have some really horrendous emotional times but they pass and thankfully there is a good time to take it's place. May not be a big earth shattering good thing but sometimes it is the little things that mean the most. Hugs. Irish.  ;D

jannz

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 08:27:13 AM »
Hi Tracy,

Goodness...you are really being tested --  I hope things start to turn around for you and your husband.   It's always good to hear about husband's that are supportive and helpful...it almost seems rare sometimes. 

Try to keep positive...and surely things will get better.

Best wishes...
Jann

BTW:  Isn't it the BEST feeling to get some of those household projects completed and checked off the list.  I absolutely LOVE that feeling. 

ktfabian

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 06:48:59 PM »
Just wanted to check in and let you know that the panic attacks have stopped, as have the crying jags and other mood swings.

When I woke up Friday morning, they were gone and I haven't had another one since.  Just bam, and nothing. 

I spoke with my therapist Friday, and he said that even though the rheumatologist doesn't think it's medication related, it could be the large dose of steroids they give with the rituxan could very well be the cause, especially since other steroid side effects went away at the same time (bloating and redness in my face, having trouble peeing and such.  Friday, I swear I peed enough for a month!) I even managed to do my taxes today without any rants or temper tantrums!

I still plan to see the therapist next week as obviously, there are issues that are still not quite under control

Your support all week has been so helpful.  My husband has really been good, but I know he really doesn't understand - we had a talk about pain last night and I know he's trying to understand what it's like to be in constant pain, but not quite getting it.  It's so great to have a place where I can come and talk to people who understand.  Of course, I wish none of us had this disease and the understanding that comes with it.

Thanks again to everyone,
Tracy

genko_b

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2008, 08:06:41 PM »
It could easily have been the steroids affecting your moods. I don't ever do long runs of them, but even the short tapers get me revved up and then I bottom out when they are done. Even my father, who was the most even-tempered individual I've ever known, had mood swings when he was on them towards the end of his life.

Anyway, it's good to hear things are going more smoothly. Smooth is nice.

Genko

Pooh

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2008, 08:42:53 PM »
Tracy, it's so good to hear things have settled down for you.  Do something nice for yourself now and relax. 

I'm wondering though if something is causing a spasm in your esophagus to make you whistle like that.  Do you have any pain in your throat or chest?  Please mention this to your rheumy when you see him/her. 

Take care and relax.  I wish I lived closer to you, I would love to learn scrapbooking.  I have tried it on my own, but wound up pitching everything but the pictures in the trash.  Sewing, knitting, crocheting, quilting, drawing or painting I can do, but this particular area of crafts really stumps me. 

Hugs, Pooh