Author Topic: healing from a burn  (Read 4972 times)

tired in texas

healing from a burn
« on: April 04, 2008, 07:32:52 PM »
Okay,

I need advice on how to appropriately care for a burn.  I unknowingly bumped a curling iron off on the carpet and accidentally stepped back on it.  It was a large flat iron...so the burn is 1.5 in by 4 inches on the bottom of my foot.  Most of the burn is located on the instep/arch of my foot.

I went to the ER got silvadine cream and vicodin.  I am having sharp pain, but not always in the burn area.  Is this going to make neuropathy issues worse....any suggestions?

Thanks.

genko_b

Re: healing from a burn
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 07:53:35 PM »
Owee, owee, owee! That must hurt. Have you gone back to the doctor for a follow-up exam? It seems to me that especially on the bottom of the foot you should have someone look at it to be sure it is healing OK.

Again, a doctor would need to tell you this for sure, but I'm guessing that the burn itself will not change the neuropathy situation, but any injury on the sole of your foot is more susceptible to infection and to slow healing because of the pressure on it and so on. With neuropathy you will be less able to tell from the feel of it what is going on.

Let us know how it goes.

Genko

lynnmarie219

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 08:59:34 PM »
I agree with Genko on the following points!

1) Owee owee owee....that MUST have hurt!  :o

2) I also think that you need to follow up with a doctor due to the location of the injury. I don't think it will affect the neuropathy either but I do feel it needs to have a follow up to insure that proper healing is taking place.

I hope it heals quickly and without any problems....please keep us posted!

Shari

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 09:15:23 PM »
Do you think that it may just be that the nerves are injured.....as would happen with other injuries.  I wonder if a cool compress would feel better but would only do it if the doc says it is okay.

Yes, a follow up visit sounds like the thing to do or even a call to the office to voice your concern.  I'm sure it is bound to take some time to feel better.  What a sensitive spot to burn.

Make sure you watch for any infection and tend to that quickly as I am sure you know.

Take care and I hope you feel better

~~Shari~~

kim31072

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 05:17:06 AM »
I too agree with the follow up...I injured myself at work making gravy and received 2 degree burns all over my fingers and up my hand....I had to go to aquatherapy...and numerous dressing changes and evaluations.

Do NOT pop that blister...do all you can to prevent it..if you can keep from popping it and get it to reabsorb...you will not have scar issues out of it.Also stay away from any type of petroleum based gels or creams as they hold the heat in and actually make the burn feel worse.

I empathize with you because I totally agree that is one of the most painful things...I really feel for the people who are burned very very severely and do the aquatherapy....it feels good when you are doing it...its the getting out that is bad...because it stimulates circulation.

Get some of the brown self cling gauze to wrap on it and help keep it covered.make sure you keep it covered with a cream to keep the blister moist....it will heal better.They make a type of gauze covered in sterile antibiotic cream they sell it at the pharmacy it comes in foil packages(inside a bigger box)but it is expensive.

Good luck and definitely follow up with your Dr....they can get infected easily once the blister is gone.

Kim

Pooh

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 08:06:54 AM »
Oh my I can't begin to imagine how that must hurt. 

The advise the girls have given you sounds like good sound advise.  Keep it covered with the antibiotic cream and watch for any infection.  Don't take any chances with it. 

I hope this clears up fast for you, with no infection or to much pain.

Pooh

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 01:22:21 PM »
The silvadene they gave you at ER is absolutely great for healing up burns. It is antibiotic and helps keep the burn moist at the same time. It is great if you can keep the blister from popping, but that is dependent on how bad the burn is and how much fluid seeps into that area. Sometimes they get so tight that they just spontaneously ruptured or leak on their own.

You would probably help promote healing by keeping that leg elevated to increase circulation to the area. I would think also that when being seen in ER they would have referred you back to your regular doctor or someone else that they might want you to see.

I would make sure that I didn't use anything else on the wound other than what they gave you in ER until you have been seen by the doc. The sterile gauze that doesn't stick is the best kind to get. Ask your pharmacist. Usually called Telfa or a generic etc. It is expensive, sad to say. Good luck and keep us posted. Also, I don't think you will know what kind of neuropathy issues or changes will occur until the healing is over. Irish ;D

tired in texas

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 04:35:19 PM »
I went to a podiatrist for what I thought would be plantar fasciitis...you know, get a shot, feel better in a day or two and be on my way.  Well, the x-rays showed that there is a bone in each foot that is out of alignment...primarily due to loss of mobility in my foot....which comes from a foot surgery several years ago...this guy says the job was botched...and that the x-ray showed where the last guy "hacked" on my foot...his words, not mine. 

Surgery would be risky and he says anyone that tells you that surgery is a good option is a liar.  He is hopeful that some orthotics (of course insurance doesn't pay for them)  will help...but it will never be quite right or pain free...

He thought the burn was healing well...he was so horrified with the other problem, he said this was water under the bridge.  So, I am choosing to be happy that I don't need surgery...I need two knee surgeries and haven't figured out how to pay for them....so, a bit more to think about and figure out.

Pooh

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 04:09:51 PM »
Happy to hear that burn is healing.  Sorry you are yet facing another  painful problem with your feet.  I hope this isn't something that can't be at least relieved.

Pooh