Author Topic: MIA on the board  (Read 7614 times)

mspetnurse

MIA on the board
« on: April 03, 2008, 10:09:03 AM »
Okay, I mentioned in a couple of other post that I would tell you why I have been missing for a while... so here it is:

Just before Thanksgiving, I had a massage, and my massuse found what turned out to be a cyst on my back. It was about the size of an egg. So after the holiday, I called an got an appointment with my surgeon. I could not get in to see him until the middle of December, so it got slightly bigger during this time. After he saw me sent me for an ultrasound to see if there was any muscle involvement. We could not get anything scheduled surgery wise until after the first of the year, so I waited again. From January 3rd to the 8th, I had to be in Nashville for a CE meeting (and I visit with my sister). I had to come back on the 8th for my endo appointment, I worked at the art gallery on Wednesday and my back was killing me. Thursday morning, it felt a little better, but still hurt. As the day went on, it became worse and worse. Around 3:00 I went to the ER because I thought it might be a kidney stone... sure enough it was, and it was on the same side as the cyst, so scheduling surgery had to wait until all was clear with that.

I finally had surgery to remove the lipoma on February 8th. By this time it had grow to the size of a small saucer (10 cm). He said it came out well, but he had to remove the muscle fascia with it to get it all. I spent three days in the hospital, and had a Jackson-Pratt drain in for 5 days. After the drain was removed I had to go back twice to have fluid removed (60 mls the first time, and 33 the second). I am going back next week because I am still having some issues with the muscles. The lipoma was between the trapezious muscles and the muscle that line the chest wall. I had some issues before it was removed, and had hoped they would clear up. I saw the neurologist today (for other issues), and I go back in the morning for an EMG. I'm hoping he will check the musces where I had surgery as well. I'm sure my surgeon would appreciate it.

Durring the time that all od this is going on, I also had to have a root canal last fall. The tooth had already had a crown because it was cracked, but never did just right. After the root canal, that side of my jaw and neck hurt more and more. I went back and he did x-rays... everything looked fine. We gave it a little more time to settle down... but it never did. I went back on Friary 6th (2 days be for the lipoma surgery) to have it pulled. He took more x-rays and kept asking, "Are you sure it's that tooth? It looks perfect." I kept telling him it was, and told him if he didn't pull it, I was going too.  :D He finally consented, but reluctantly.

After the lipoma surgery, I had a pressure bandage on my back for 2 days. When they removed it too see how things looked... we found out I had a tape sensitivity. So a few days later I began wondering what the put in a tooth when they do a root canal. I did a little searching, and found out it's called gutta percha. So what is that? A little more searching revealed it is a "latex" derivative. So it is actually a latex sensitivity that I have.

In the mean time, all of these extra antibodies in that area set off a case of painful thyroiditis which I have been dealing with for the last couple of months. It's doing better, but sill bothering me some. I see the endo next week, and hopefully things will settle down even more.

The ongoing saga continues.   ::)

Martha

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
Re: MIA on the board
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 12:35:00 PM »
Hi Martha  :)

Wow - you have been having a time of it! What an end to one year and start to another.  :-\   I hope things get better and that the second half of the year is just great.
You deserve some good luck!

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Cricket

• My Cancer Journey
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 01:07:01 PM »
Wow, you sure have been through the wringer.  Sometimes it seems we will never get well, one thing turns into many others.

I sure hope you will be feeling better soon, I will be sending up prayers for you.

Cricket
Female 64 yrs. old with:~Lymphoma ~SJS~, Fibro, Neuropathy, Spinal  Stenosis, Degenerative Discs, Shingles Arthritis, Hypo-thyroid.
Rituxan, Synthroid, Lopressor, Vasotec, Zantac, Zyrtec, evoxac, Lexapro, Neurotin, Ambien, Zanaflex, Voltarm, Vicodin, fish oil, Centrum vit.,  CoQ10, vit. D, Miralax

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 01:28:56 PM »
Martha, I think you should have stayed in bed for a couple of months. Seriously, you have really had a lot going on. The bad thing with autoimmune is when all these things get going we get so it hard to keep up with what is doing what to our body. Hopefully,this rollar coaster is all downhill for you now. Good luck. Irish ;D

mspetnurse

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 06:59:29 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement, I sure need some right now.

I went to the neurologist today. I have been seeing him for muscle twitching and cramping. I have to go back in the morning for an EMG (oh so fun... not), and he also drew blood for a CPK.

I will let you know the results of these when I get them.

I sure hope the rest of this year is better than the beginning. I would say it can't get much worse.. but I know better.  :-\

Martha

lynnmarie219

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 07:42:21 PM »
Hi Martha,

I sure hope you get some relief from all that you have been through the last several months....enough is enough, right? Like they say...when it rains it pours.....but you really do deserve a break!

And you're right...don't EVER say it cant get much worse.... ;). Hugs to you......

Shari

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 07:00:07 AM »
Martha~~My Gosh, but you have been going through the grinder!!  Here's to a more calm spell!  It's spring and a new beginning??  Hopefully!

Take care  ~~Shari~~

mspetnurse

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 10:03:31 AM »
Martha~~My Gosh, but you have been going through the grinder!!  Here's to a more calm spell!  It's spring and a new beginning??  Hopefully!

Take care  ~~Shari~~

LOL, I see you found it Shari... I just posted to you in the other thread.

I sure hope things get better. I did get a good report on my EMG today. I have to call the neurologist back Monday for the results on my CPK test... hopefully that will be good too.

Martha

Shari

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 11:57:24 AM »
Great news on your EMG Martha!!  Keep those good results coming! :D

~~Shari~~

Waldop

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2008, 09:18:06 AM »
Martha,

Sorry to hear you've had such a tough time. It's funny you should mention lipoma, because I have that very same thing on my left breast. It seems to grow every once in awhile. My primary wanted me to have it removed, but I'm not so sure my insurance will cover it. BTW.. What sort've doctor actually performed the surgery??(If you don't mind me asking??) My primary wanted me to see a plastic surgeon to have it removed and I'm a little leery about those things.

You take care and feel better.

hugs
Barrie

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2008, 01:15:31 PM »
A plastic surgeon would probably do a better job in that area. Generally, the plastic surgeons are extremely good at doing the incisions and stitches that hardly show any stitiches. Your doc is probably thinking of the cosmetic effect of the surgery as far as bathing suits and dresses, etc. Irish ;D

mspetnurse

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2008, 07:23:19 PM »
Martha,

Sorry to hear you've had such a tough time. It's funny you should mention lipoma, because I have that very same thing on my left breast. It seems to grow every once in awhile. My primary wanted me to have it removed, but I'm not so sure my insurance will cover it. BTW.. What sort've doctor actually performed the surgery??(If you don't mind me asking??) My primary wanted me to see a plastic surgeon to have it removed and I'm a little leery about those things.

You take care and feel better.

hugs
Barrie

Hi Barrie,

I have a friend who is a general surgeon, and he is the one I saw about it. He has many years experience, and did my gall bladder and hysterectomy, and I trust him. I know if he is not comfortable doing something, he will send me to whomever he thinks is best for the job. Scars are one thing that doesn't bother me, but he did do a good job and I don't think it is going to show much after it heals up.

Your doctor probably was thinking about scaring since he wanted you to see a plastic surgeon. Check with your insurance. Since it is in the breast area, they may pay on it just fine. Most general surgeons will do a good job though. Where on the breast is it located?

Martha